The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

...and I thought it was bad that I couldn't tolerate bright lights after my concussion! That, and the splitting headache every time I bent over. Those were the only after-effects I had, and they went away after about 2 or 3 weeks.

Regarding the Ativan, please be careful when coming off of it, because it is a physically-addicting CNS drug; in other words, as your blood level drops, you may begin to feel some withdrawl symptoms.

Kudos to you for having battled back so fiercely!

~Sara [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

"If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bull." -Bart Simpson

Member of the Dirt Divers 78th Airborne Unit, ATH Squadron

But let's talk about the cheerleader who is learning to tie her shoes. Dunno about them, but with me it was SUCH a great thing to be able to turn on that computer. Oh my God, the first time I could make a cup of tea I wanted to hire a band and have a party.

I have noticed, through all of it, that those of us who have taken a good whack are not, generally, the ones saying "Oh poor me." It's the people around us that we feel bad for. Our successes are measures in very tiny increments, yet each is a true achievement. First you are filled with an overwhelming relief that you are still of this world. Plus there's some type of inner calmness that I had where I realized - first time I could not do something I wanted - that it was going to take time.

Mostly I just wanted it to get back to how it was before. Now it's as close to that as it is going to get, and I will NEVER complain.

There are profound changes as well. With me, it was a great relief that I was alive and was not paralyzed. Baby, that is the great leveler in life. After that, it has to be pretty bad to eek a rise outta me. Because when you were that close to dying, all that matters is that you and your family and friends are alive and healthy and happy, that your horse is alive and healthy and happy and that you got another chance at life.

Re kissing Pinkerdo's ass, there was a time about six months afterwards when I did get on my knees on the patio in front of Steinberg's Tack & Feed in Huntington Beach and did kiss Pinkerdo's ass.

and did someone get a picture? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Wow I had no clue Coreene! You are the definition of strength [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thank you Robby, Kachoo and Coreene for the very inportant info [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

~ Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once ~
    ~ they tease you cause they like you ~

Sweetie darling, it has nothing to do with strength. Strength is what those around me had, which I borrowed again and again. What I did was so exceptionally and incredibly stupid, I owed it to these darling people to get well.

Robby J, you get a medal for starting this thread.

Coreene, Robby, and Kachoo thank you so much for enlightening everyone about brain injuries. I've been very fortunate to only have a few minor concussions (although concussions do add up in severity), nothing too serious, but I always, ALWAYS wear my approved ATH helmet, without a thought. I'm still amazed how many people only wear then when they jump or are at shows. As Coreene story tell, it only takes one time. Thanks again guys, this is something that needs to be said again and again.

"Friends don't let friends reply to all"
    \"Friends don\'t let friends reply to all\"

ah but sweetie pie you had the strength to borrow their's [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] That to me proves my point [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

~ Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once ~
    ~ they tease you cause they like you ~

Argghhhh.

reading Coreene's post gave me shivers...
    am SO VERY GLAD that she has recovered and become modder to Willem (he loffs her) and friend to this BB.

just yesterday, was giggling with a friend about the new Australian law that ALL equestrians must wear approved helemts--including GP dressage riders..and after giggling for a moment or two...I remembered Mr Bumpkin's Helmet post..got really sobered, and realized that approved helmets are not a choice but a necessity.

So the helmets look funny with shadbellies? I say--get rid of the shadbellies! It is time for an overhaul of the 'look' in equestrian sports.

Western is popular, at least in part, because you can run around and look totally cool in your riding clothes...I think the breeches and boots are good...but perhaps a slinky, or some thing that looks vaguely like a motocross shirt..all topped off by an approved helmet.

Xtreme Riding.

YESSS!!!!
    one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

Remember, a big helmet makes your ass look smaller anyway.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Intense thread. I would sometimes skip the helmet (only when jumping would I wear one) after this, I will always wear it. Thank you all for this...it has opened my eyes.

Love your theory! How big a hat can they make, anyway? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Seriously, after I visited a friend in the rehab place for a horse-related brain injury, I was MUCH more aware of the bad possibilities. Hat hair is a small price to pay.

Bumping this and printing it out for someone who needs to read it...

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

What're you doin' on the ground? I thought you said you could ride?!

Well, I was ridin' when I fell off!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kachoo:
    I shall now shamelessly exploit this rare opportunity to display what I have learned in my neuropsych course. Robby's right, the brain doesn't heal. In the peripheral nervous system (i.e. outside your brain and spinal cord), when you receive an injury that severs connections between your axons (the neuron fiber that carries messages to other neurons), cells called microglia and Schwann cells can create new axons and restore normal function. However, in the central nervous system, glial cells can't help damaged neurons regrow. Even if the distance that damaged fibers must bridge is short, function does not return. No one is sure why, but it's believed to have something to do with some glial cells forming scar tissue that seals off damaged areas and creates a barrier to axon regrowth or the production of an antigrowth agent called NOGO that is normally helpful in preventing the random regrowth of axons. So, with a good whack to the head, you lose established neuronal connections that must be bypassed (as Robby mentioned, that's the relearning process).

Cheers,
    Susie
    http://www.kachoom.com

"That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!" ~Homer Simpson<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ditto all that....I was going to type somthing similar, but i only know the terms in french...

In the future, if your wondering, 'Crime, boy...' is when I decided to kick your ass. - President Bartlett, The West Wing

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

I am printing this out out to go with the Helmet Theory I am posting at the new barn. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

(I won't post names because, well, I don't know them) but her story went like this ...

She was walking out of the barn on her beloved TN Walker. The barn floor was concrete. Someone had tied their dog at the end of the barn and somehow the dog's tether got caught up in the horse's legs. It spooked, she hit the concrete with her head.

When I see the kids riding into the barn (we have an asphalt barn aisle) I just go beserk. "Don't ride in the barn!" I tell them. Even with helmets, the risk is high.

Robby

You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

I just realized this thread is on the Hunter/Jumper Forum...but it is SOOOO important--is there anyway to let the other forums know about it (oh greal list masters/Moderators/Grand Kahunas)..?
    one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>EVERY concussion is considered a mild brain injury. There are almost always some minor effects of the injury.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not kidding!!! I've had a few too many concussions. And YES, every one I had my noggin protected. In the ol' days (when most of my injuries occurred) though, there was no such thing as "approved". I think the worst was the time a horse landed after a jump and hit a divot, never took a stride, just went boom - that was when the "semi-flexible" brim was required. I hit on the side of my head, blacked out (I don't remember the fall), and went into convulsions. I "came to" in the ER when my mother (bless her heart [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]) was arguing with the techs as to whether or not they were going to cut off my new Vogels. The horse had landed on my leg - nice bruise from my ankle to my hip, but nothing broken.

Anyway, this is a great thread!!

BREATHE!!! Oxygen is a good thing!
    I gotta do-over and am doin it my way!!!

I have dealt with a brain injury, too.
    My ex husband was on foot, and hit by a car going about 55 mph. Needless to say, his prognosis was very grim.
    After two months of intensive care, a year and a half IN the VA hospital in a brain-injury rehab program, learning to walk, talk, read, write, function, like any adult human being, he is almost back to what I could consider "normal" with a few quirks. He had a fist-sized portion of his right frontal lobe removed, due to necrosis. He had brain bleeds. They kept him in a coma for two weeks. And let me tell ya, people don't just "wake up" from a coma, it's a long hard horrendous gut-wrenching painful horrible agonizing process full of combative behavior, anger, delusions, difficulty on the part of the patient. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
    Joel ( my ex ) was lucky. Many are not. He was supposed to be a vegetable at best. He is a miracle.
    Wear your helmets.
    love,
    Linda and Adelita

Horse owner's Latin motto:"Equus.....Costus.....Muchus"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?

I will copy this over to Off Course, and leave this copy here and open - so people can post in both places.

I LOVE the idea of non-shadbelly's in Dressage - especially after the nasty comments about Sue Blinks - who is NOT heavy by any STRETCH of the imagination!!

Helmets are a good thing - my last major concussion saved my life, however, strange as that sounds...

19 year member of the New Hope clique! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Knocking your head around without protection can cause other problems besides brain damage. I have benign positional vertigo which the neurologist believes has come from one to many head impacts (football, skiing, etc.) It is not a major problem and doesn't bother my riding but it can make me walk like a drunk from time to time.

With proper shock absorbing head gear, I probably would not have this condition.

"I'd be more tactful, if I were wrong."