The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Bump!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SaddleFitterVA:
    Now, I've NEVER been able to keep L/R straight, and as a yoga teacher and riding lesson taker, this is tough. But, I don't really contribute this to my known header...of course, who knows, perhaps I had a concussion earlier in life. I don't remember any head injuries though. I've simply found ways to work around that minor dyslexia. Pointing when indicating and using physical reference points. I can 100% keep inside/outside straight and an exercise I was recently given in a lesson required me to say L/R/L/R with the front hoof fall. So, last night, I'm practicing, and I realized, that L was ALWAYS outside when I was doing this mentally. Even when the outside was the right side...it was LEFT [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]. Instead of stressing over it, I focused on my timing and was exceptionally pleased at how well the exercise worked!
    Mel<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm mildly dyslexic in the same way, I've never known left from right. I wear a watch on my left hand that helps me during the day (plus I'd be late to everything without it! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] ), but in the winter when I'm riding my sleeves cover it, plus I usually don't have the reaction time to look down when my instructor screams "MOVE LEFT NOW!". I've trained my trainers (heehee) to always use inside/outside with me. When they don't, they're not allowed to yell at me for looking down...I'm just looking for my watch!
    Now that I'm learning to drive, I use my turnsignal. Somehow, I can do "right is up" with my turn-signal-wand, and then I can look at the flahing green arrow and turn that way. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] Otherwise, I haven't a clue where left or right are.

As for the brain injury thing, my father died because of a car accident when I was 8. Until last year (when I was 15) in Driver's Ed, I never realized what happened to him. They showed a video in class about brain injuries and treament centers. It was then that the connection between my vague memories of my mom talking about him back then and reality. He was paralyzed, he could move his left hand, slightly, and blink. Before he died he could drink through a straw, which was a huge step, but then he regressed.

I just got the courage up to look at this thread after reading the "Not a helmet in sight" thread. I'm glad I did. I've always worn an approved, 100% of the time. My mom would never hear of it otherwise, and I never realized that REAL people didn't wear approveds before I came to this BB. I thought it was kind of an ancient thing to wear an unapproved. Like, they're a couple of dusty ones from the Dark Ages hanging in tack rooms everywhere, but real people wear approveds. Now I see just how wrong I was and can easily seperate the huntcaps from the approveds. I still don't understand how people can allow their children to ride in a shell. Or how they can ride in them themselves. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

-Anne, the sister of a PrettyFilly and searching for the PerfectHorse-
    "I'm not insane...I just compartmentalize!"

My father had a malignant tumor removed a year ago August. He is a PhD in physics. He had a seziure two days into his retirement.

Last week he came up to help me on household projects. He made this promise before his surgery and when we were told his tumore was small, benign and in the periatable lobe.

None of these things were acurate. He has come a long way but has a ways to go. He forgets to turn off the stove, bring in the rest of the groceries from the car and ignores his left side. This is a vast improvement.

It is very easy to get frustrated with how long it takes him to process information. I realized one afternoon as we made another trip to Home Depot how frustrated he is, how lucky we all are to have him, and what a miracle it is that the brain can adapt. But this takes time. It has to rewire it's circuits. And that is for those who are lucky. There was enough left to rewire. It was mostly in his frontal lobe and stretched back to the nerves that cotrol movement for the left side of his body.

I am rambleing, you all don't need to hear this and I had a point which I lost a ways back. I just know I am very happy to still have my father and grateful that he is recovering, as slow as it may be.

Amy