The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default News Article on Ann Romney and Dressage - "A Very Upper Class Activity"

Thought all you "upper class" folks who post here would want to read this article. Appears dressage is now a political issue in the campaign.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/romney...0#.T5AbBq6vd9t
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

well - to start
    "The rarefied sport of dressage is a sort of classical equestrian dance competition that comes with enormous expenses and rarely involves prize money. It is a sport of the rich and famous, populated with relatives of Bill Gates, Michael Bloomberg, Bruce Springsteen, and Yahoo co-founder Jerry Wang..."
    those folks (don't know about Wang) have children riding in Hunter/Jumper, not dressage
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by SGray View Post
    well - to start
    "The rarefied sport of dressage is a sort of classical equestrian dance competition that comes with enormous expenses and rarely involves prize money. It is a sport of the rich and famous, populated with relatives of Bill Gates, Michael Bloomberg, Bruce Springsteen, and Yahoo co-founder Jerry Wang..."
    those folks (don't know about Wang) have children riding in Hunter/Jumper, not dressage
    Ravel is owned and Peters sponsored by one of the Yahoo co-founders. I can't imagine kids getting much enjoyment from dressage. It seems to me to be a sport for adults.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Oh heck, a straight line at the canter is a straight line at the canter. What difference would it make if there was a fout foot oxer in the way??

"Over the years, Ann Romney has owned herself, or with partners, at least eight horses for dressage competitions. Among them are Waterford, Mai Schone Maestro, and Happy Day, Rafalca, Sandrina, and Breitan, according to official dressage competition records."

plus: Baron, Gucci, Rigoletto, SuperHit, Liberte.......

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

I just want to say I'm proud to be associated with the "1 percenters" who post here!
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

"Braddick said he is certain Ann Romney, and probably her husband, too, will be heartbroken to miss the competition, which gets underway today in the picturesque village an hour north of Amsterdam. But he's sure her decision is intended to spare the 6,000 or so spectators the hassles of security, including campaign staff and Secret Service protection, that would likely be required if she were to attend."

Rafalca is currently ranked 7th http://usef.org/_IFrames/breedsDisci...nkingList.aspx

wonder if Ann will get to go to Olympics if Ebeling/Rafalca make the Team?

I find it very annoying when journalist can't even describe what they are talking about accuratley. If you can't research the definition of a sport accuratley am I suppose to believe the rest of your article?
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

Well Romney's descriptions haven't been particularly brilliant either.

Quote Originally Posted by rizzodm View Post
    I find it very annoying when journalist can't even describe what they are talking about accuratley. If you can't research the definition of a sport accuratley am I suppose to believe the rest of your article?
    All they care about is making sure that you understand doing this sport means the Romneys ARE EVIL FILTHY STINKING RICH PEOPLE WHO COULD FEED ALL THE POOR PEOPLE EVERYWHERE FOR WHAT THEY SPEND ON THEIR FANCY SHOW PONIES BUT THEY'RE JUST TOO GREEDY. The point of any article about Ann Romney right now is to remind everyone that her husband's one of those horrible rich business people who got his money enslaving children and starving old people. They don't know or care the difference between H/J, Dressage, or the Kentucky Derby. If the Romneys owned cutting horses it would be about the price of the tack and gas-guzzling trailer rigs, the rich hobby owners coming into the sport, with bonus cruelty to cows for good measure.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    All they care about is making sure that you understand doing this sport means the Romneys ARE EVIL FILTHY STINKING RICH PEOPLE WHO COULD FEED ALL THE POOR PEOPLE EVERYWHERE FOR WHAT THEY SPEND ON THEIR FANCY SHOW PONIES BUT THEY'RE JUST TOO GREEDY. The point of any article about Ann Romney right now is to remind everyone that her husband's one of those horrible rich business people who got his money enslaving children and starving old people. They don't know or care the difference between H/J, Dressage, or the Kentucky Derby. If the Romneys owned cutting horses it would be about the price of the tack and gas-guzzling trailer rigs, the rich hobby owners coming into the sport, with bonus cruelty to cows for good measure.
    I am actually suprised it took this long for the media and/or other camp to throw out that point. lol

The inaccuracies and venom in this article make me somewhat sick in the mouth.
    I have to believe that this article grows out of a personal vendetta and does not represent any NEWS service known to man.
    The description of dressage is simply wrong,as we all know.
    The lumping together of people whose family members ride in other equestrian disciplines is just shoddy 4th rate research-- to dignify this mudslinging.

Jerry Yang,husband of Akiko Yamazaki,probably doesn't care if he is called Wang, but that kind of stupid,willful sloppiness permeates this article.

Here's a fond and probably Pollyanna hope that this campaign does not descend into the land of the lunatic fringe.
    one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    Well Romney's descriptions haven't been particularly brilliant either.
    Not an excuse for crappy journalism. He's crappy so I'll be crappy too.
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I think the original intent of pointing out that the Romney's are rich is to highlight the fact that they paid 15% tax rate this last year while the middle class people like myself.....who work and struggle to get by....paid 30%. I personally find this unfair and in need of change.....not something the Romney campaign is interested in changing at all. Now, I do think the media is taking it beyond the simple argument of tax equality and making into "evil, rich Romney's" and I disagree with that. The current trend of having the media swarm over any not-well-thought-out quote or possibly controversial friend or other "fluff" of the candidates is laziness, shoddy reporting and a threat to an open and true democracy.

Why would you expect anything different ?
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I'm surprised it took this long for the media to find the Romneys' dressage connection. At their level of participation as owners, it is a super elite sport involving very big bucks. Since Romney claims to identify with the working class and understand their pain, I think it's fair to look at the way they live their lives and spend their money. There's nothing immoral about supporting a dressage horse, but it is undeniably a luxury for the 1 percent of the 1 percent and shows him as out of touch. The elevator for his car at his new California house also shows him as out of touch. I'm guessing the car elevator cost a lot less than the horse though.

i think the point of the article is that folks are wondering is someone that wealthy can even imagine what it would be like to be one of the 99% - and if they cant how can they even be allowed to make important decisions for that 99% (all us slobs at the bottom)

Horse owners are far from "the bottom".

Quote Originally Posted by canyonoak View Post
    Here's a fond and probably Pollyanna hope that this campaign does not descend into the land of the lunatic fringe.
    Too late!

Ya know, any sport at the elite level costs a lot of money. A LOT. Not that the writer of that article would want to make that comparison, however, to give perspective.

'Cause that would mean, then, commenting on the obscenely high salaries pro football and baseball players, etc., are paid (can't quite get myself to say, 'earn'). And who are then further supported by the 'common man' 's tax dollars through the underwriting of stadiums, etc. And who do not do much outside of the game except a lot of illegal and immoral activities in the offseason.

And let's not forget that ticket prices to games are so high, the 'common man' can't even afford to take his family of 4 to an outing at the stadium -- it would start at $300!! for the day. If this journalist really wanted to make a point about the 1% and the 99%, and who pays what taxes, he (she?) should have taken on this issue.

Pathetic.