The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

The recent topic "Ponies of the 70's" started me to think of the horses who were showing on LI during the 70's.

I have a bad memory but I remember a few horses back then; Lancer's Jewel, Peppermint Patty, Dutch Clown, Double Dutch (the Delayer's horses), Smoke Run had a few (I remember a big chestnut with lots of white) but many were killed in a fire.

Does anyone remember other horses who were on the LI circut in the mid 70's? And what about their riders/owners?

The recent topic "Ponies of the 70's" started me to think of the horses who were showing on LI during the 70's.

I have a bad memory but I remember a few horses back then; Lancer's Jewel, Peppermint Patty, Dutch Clown, Double Dutch (the Delayer's horses), Smoke Run had a few (I remember a big chestnut with lots of white) but many were killed in a fire.

Does anyone remember other horses who were on the LI circut in the mid 70's? And what about their riders/owners?

Yikes--I've been trying to think of horse names ever since I read this a little while ago. I can't believe what a bad memory I have. The only horses that are leaping to my mind are Dutch Design, first a hunter then an eq horse, and No Fair, a big black hunter. How is it possible that I'm drawing such a blank? Jeez--I don't think I'm that old...

I remember a few L.I. rider names of the 70s--how about the Bendettos? Or Patrick Rice? Remember when Victor Hugo-Vidal was on LI? How about Amy Jo Davidson? Jackie Bittner? Hugh Cassidy (really a trainer/horse show organizer rather than a rider)? Bobby Ginsburg? As you already mentioned, the Deleyers (not just Harry but the sons and the daughter as well).

What about some of the old stand-by LI horse shows? L.V.I.S. in the Hamptons. The shows at the Toppings with the wonderful outside course (remember the endless pony classes?). Smithtown Hunt at Oldfield. St. James. The awfully dusty one-day shows at Middle Island. The lovely Nassau-Suffolk Horsemen's Association shows at Comstock Park on Lloyd's Neck.

You've dragged up some nice memories from the inner recesses of my mind--now I just wish I could remember names and faces. Oh well...

Although some of these might be from the 80's (I'm 31) but yes, names from the past, Patrick Rice, Hugh Cassidy (he had Old Field Farm right?, The Country Horse Show??). I used to pass Rice Farms on the way to my barn. I kept my horse at Melody Farms in Huntington, trained with Mare Lanahan, who was an event trainer which I started to do in high school.

Two of my friends rode with Robert Hoskins at Gold Coast. Now one of them recently started again and rides with Michael Zuckerman at the same barn at Gold Coast where Robert used to be, I think when he was little he rode at Thomases on Round Swamp Rd. where another friend kept her horse.

Showed at Stony Hill, the farm at C.W. Post, forgot the name. I think also Old Westbury (was that the one that had a stone arch at the entrance?).

Diana DeRosa and her sister, forgot her name, were they well known? I rode at their barn when I was *really* little, first learning to ride.

I think I was spoiled growing up in LI, the horsie scene is just not the same in Raleigh, NC. I remember in the summer a show every weekend and sometimes on Wednesday too.

[This message has been edited by Meshach (edited 06-20-2000).]

This is so nice !! I live and trainon long island now and it' s so very nice to hear about people who are still very active .The Rice family is still active Patrick is now at Sag Pond Farmin Bridgehampton,Harriet Deleyer is training with her husband John also in Bridgehampton,The Rices Jimmy and his mom wonderful Ginny are running probably the most succesful shows on Long Island at the Yaphank facility,Bobby Ginsberg is running a shows in Southampton.Jackie is now a Steward and married an is now Jackie Martin!!
    Brilyntrip

I'm a decade before... Heike had just passed Santa on to the next in line; Ann ? rode at Rices' - horse - Billy Budd; Patty Auricchio, who's still there, judging; Jane Pflug - had the most wonderful AO hunter...
    Thomas School's "Junior Olympics"....
    Jericho's "X-rated" (adults only) Friday night winter shows....

You're right about LI being a different world!
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Patty Auricho! Wow, I loved her as a judge. I won my first Maclay class when she was judging. And she loved my first horse. Ccoronios--Thanks so much for that wonderful memory...

And the Thomas School shows--what a blast.

Hi All,
    Wow - such memories! I grew up on LI and showed in the 1970s. Now I'm a judge....and judged at the Stirrup Cup Horse Show this past Saturday. Ginny Rice was secretary, Jimmy Rice was manager, and Jackie Martin was steward. Ralph Caristo stopped by, and Joyce Prezbowski was there - same great people from 30 years ago!

Does anybody remember Trudy Cohen riding Stitch N' Time in the Amatuers in the 1970s? Well, Trudy lives in New Hampshire now (her husband Bernie used to own The Saddle Shop on Jericho Tunrpike). Well, if you can believe, Stitch N' Time is STILL ALIVE! He's retired on their farm, and he is an old, old horse, but he still gives the farrier a hard time!

How about the whole Little Plains Stable crew? Remember when Neal Shapiro showed jumpers there in the 1960s? Joan Krogman now lives outside of Wellington....many of her old school horses are still alive.

Remember the great AHRC show at CW Post? The huge Grand Prix classes with Rodney Jenkins and a young Michael Matz?

I rode with Nancy Peters at Ketchum Pony Farm, Lee Krantz (now Connelly), Sheila Rodgers, and Robert Hoskins. Marge Smith taught me to ride side-saddle - remember her string of great side-saddle horses?

I rode my own Dr. Doolittle, and a bunch of horses for other people....Anne Dula's Moonwar was a horse I'll never forget! When he was good, he was unbeatable....when he was in a mood, whew! I can remember showing him at Stonyhill and just careening over the jumps.

Thanks for the chance to talk about those great days.

Hallie McEvoy

Oh wow, memories. Haligator my sister & I rode at Ketchum's but it was the real early 80's. I also rode at the Benedetto's Stony Hill back then. My sister kept her horse at Ketchum's though. Once again thanks for the memories.

Sigh! Showing & riding on Long Island in the 70's. I grew up riding all over Old Westbury, Brookville, Old Brookville. I HACKED to every show I ever went to except once when I hitched a ride to Melody Farms. The HUGE outside course @ Post, where every name in the bizz came, which doubled as the Grand Prix ring. Late 60's horse, Capella, owned by Tuck LaFavers whose 2nd wife was Laurie Confort. Jackie Bittner is Jackie Martin?? ExMFH of Smithtown? Am I confused? Jericho School of Horsemanship, with what was the largest indoor ring on the east coast at the time. I was definitely spoiled growing up there during that time, even though my horse was not a bay TB and was not competive outside the C shows.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Do you remember Fair Judy? Sarah Hochschwender from Tampa rode her and got the sm jr championship at Harrisburg (or reserve) and the Garden, I think. Sarah rode for years with Ronnie Mutch before going out on her own.

haligator - I briefly rode with Marge Smith also! I guess when I was around nine or ten. Also when I first moved to Melody I rode with Leslie Woodworth who was also a judge.

Forgot about the Junior Olympics at Thomases. Remember showing there in the winter in that teeny tiny indoor? I can remember hacking over to Thomases. There were sooo many trails in that area, you could ride for hours.

And I loved The Saddle Shop and do remember Bernie. I couldn't believe when I went back to visit after moving and it was closed. I still have my phase IV, ride in it every day. AND I still fit into my custom chaps that I got there for my 17th birthday. whoo hoo! I think Debbie Marino who used to work there lives in Tryon NC now.

[This message has been edited by Meshach (edited 06-21-2000).]

OHMYGOSH! Ketchem's Pony Farm?! I started there as a kid! I rode there until....about.....1972. When Nancy Peters left LI she started a horse retirment facility called Horse Heaven in NC. Wonder if she and Richie are still there.

Haligator - I may have met you......you were riding at Ketchums and you had an English accent - or or parents did. It was kindof a joke because we have similar first names.

Marge Smith?! I bought my first horse from her....around 1972/73. I remember she taought a little at the farm (now gone) in Eaton's Neck.

Lee Krantz? Small, very proper, wealthy background type of woman? Didn't she teach with the Wilson Tech School? I think I rode with her during the school year.

Mare Lanahan - I think she's a year younger than me - she rode/did sales at Stony Hill.

The Cohens! I loved to go to The Saddle Shop - Bernie was so nice. I still have the Vogals and custom chaps I got there when I was about 16! I heard they lived in Gorham, NH. Barry (something) who worked there, last I knew he had a shoe repair/saddle repair place in East Northport. Didn't Neil Greenburg work there for a while too?

James Benedetto - didn't he switch to dressage? Anyone remember when Stony Hill was owned by the Hustlers (sp?) and before that the Potters? (It was a scary place then).

Janet Hein - isn't she still out in Holtsville? Didn't she remarry?

Hugh Cassidy - yes he did own Oldfield - nice shows there but always so hot. It was sad to hear about his death. Robert Hoskins too - he was such a stylish rider and person.
    I thought Skip Lounenger (sp?) owned/ran Gold Coast. He was a nice guy too.

Patrick Rice and the Delayer boys - they are a couple/few years older and I remember gawking at them from a distance. I thought they were sooooo cool and I was sooooo shy. Didn't Chris Hickey hang out with them too?

Thomas School - we were bused over from Wilson Tech; I used to ride Bombay, Triscut, and Sandy. Their shows were always nice and the Junior Olympics were so much fun there!

Dee Muma? I cleaned her barn a few times at her parents house in Northport! She had a little QH stallion and his son at the time.

Joyce Prezbowski - does she still have Hidden Lake?

The Svaboata (sp?) family? Two sisters who rode with Hugh Cassidy. Anyone remember them?

Melody Farm! I used to hack a couple of horses there - a little mare named Daisy and a chestnut gelding (Sivara sp?) who ran with the Smithtown Hunt. What happend to Teddy Brinkman?

Anyone remember the young man who's family owned Hello Farm? I rode against him a lot and was always so jealous of his beautiful Imperatore van!

Oh - this is so much fun!

[This message has been edited by Giddyup2 (edited 06-21-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Giddyup2 (edited 06-21-2000).]

James is still riding H/J. I just saw him this year riding @ WEF & there was a photo of him on the Towerheads website after one of the jumper classes at Ox Ridge.

Yes, I think Skip did own/ran Gold Coast but Robert had a barn or section within it that he ran. My friend that rode with Robert is Joann Garcia (maiden name), awesome awesome rider.

Thomass - the name Bombay sounds familiar. My friend's horse was in the barn with a horse named Cold Duck. That name stuck in my mind for some reason. Before my friend bought her horse, she rode a pony there name Tatum and then a horse named Sunny.

Mare was at Stony Hill before I trained with her and I think she went back there sometime after I moved.

I moved my horse from Melody in August of '87 to NC. Shortly after I left, Ted Brinkman (the father) sold the barn to Joan Bosch. Now, I think years after that , she sold it back to Ted Jr. (the son) who had lived in Florida. BUT I went back a couple of years ago and I *think* he doesn't own it now but I could be wrong. Boy do I feel old. When I went back to visit the only name I recognized on the stall doors was Arno Wolfe. The place looks the same except the pastures where they used to turn out the polo ponies are individual paddocks now.

Giddyup2 - Was Daisy a brown and white paint horse? And the same owner who had Daisy owned the chestnut gelding who was a little hot? He used to get kinda excited when he'd go up the hill near the indoor back to the barn?

Hi All,
    Wow - more memories! Trudy and Bernie Cohen moved to Grantham, NH (not Gorham). They have a lovely place there.

Ah, yes, the indoor arena at Thomas' - showing there in the winter was INSANE! I used to call it the refrigerator circuit. Remeber the ramp that came down into the arena from the outside? Remember the holding area that was ten degrees colder than it was outside?

Joyce Prezbowski now has a nice place called Touch N' Go Farm in Bellport.

Jackie Fisher became Jackie Martin - she's still one of the classiest people I know.

Ahh, the Thomas School horses - Bombay, Brandy, Cold Duck.....I went to Wilson Tech there in 1977 with Lee Krantz and Ted Landers as teachers. The Thomas barn crew was then Vic, Ken Inglima, Adam Glatt, Eddie Horowitz, etc. In 1977, we all went to see Led Zeppelin at Madison Square Garden - the farewell tour. Boy, does that date me or what?

And the horses at Ketchum Pony Farm - Mare, Babar, Cavalier, Doobie, Mr. Chips....Leslie Wilson the photographer boarded there then.

Stonyhill - James Bennedetto rides jumpers still - he just placed in the Garden State Grand Prix. And yes, I do remember the Hutzlers (spelling?) who owned Stonyhill prior to the Bennedettos. I bought my first horse there (Dr. Doolittle) from Mare Lenahan.

Brinkmans at Melody Farm - worked there a winter - I think young Ted is in Florida now.

Remember when Dr. Arthur Fredericks was Master of the Smithtown Hunt? He must have been in his 80s and could still ride better than most of the other members.

And dear Robert Hoskins - what a loss! We need him now in this industry to bring a strong dose of realism and compassion.

And finally, nope, I don't have an English accent....now have a cross between a LI and Vermont accent.

If anyone wants to e-mail me, my address is in the profile. Would love to hear more memories!

Hallie McEvoy (formerly Hertwig)

Geez looeez!

I was at the Wilson Tech in 1976! Yes - Lee Krantz and Ted Landers! There was another guy when I was there but can't remember his name.

Babar! Mare! Doobie! I leased Babar for a summer. I took Doobie to my very first show! Leslie Wilson! She and her mother bought Doobie from Ketchums, right?

Daisy was a small plain bay TB mare who Blair always said would make a good polo pony. The owner also had a another mare named Lovin whom she kept somewhere else. Other horses at Melody - Tosca, Foxy, a palamino trick horse, Jonteau (sp?), etc.. I rode for a short time there around 1982-83.

Arthur Fredricks! What a hoot he was. My vet went to Cornell with Dick Fredricks and remembers him well.

I don't remember Dr. Doolittle. Do you remember a horse Dudley Doright (not from Stony Hill)?

Wow - this is tooooo much!!!

ok, I must be thinking of another daisy. I remember riding Blair's old polo pony, Pete. You must have been there right before me, I think I got there around spring of '84. Blair used to take all of us to the shows, to go get lunch, etc. I lived at the barn! Tosca sounds familiar and I definately remember the lady with the trick palimino. Fred and Freddie Grossman were probably there when you were. I remember they used to hunt.

Dudley Doright, that name sounds sooo familiar. was there a write up in the chronicle earlier 80's by the owner when he passed away (the horse I mean). or am I thinking of another dudley.

Eddie Horowitz is still up in LI isn't he?

Oh, lord...Thomas' winter shows... We went there one weekend - would have not, but by the time trainer and I woke up (in separate beds), the man who hauled the horse would have already left, so it was too late to cancel. Snowing.... kept snowing.... Jumper classes in afternoon - damn near froze to death changing into breeches & boots in the truck...Walter gave me special dispensation to leave on my t-neck, sweater and ski parka. Rode in 2 of 3 classes....still snowing... decided to scratch last class and get out while we could (had my mom's Subaru? and had parked facing downhill). Couldn't drive anywhere again until Wednesday. Thomas' had something like 20 guest horses and even more people (thank heaven for summer camp leftovers...)
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Hi Again,
    Marge Smith had a black horse (with lots of white chrome on him) named Dudley Doright - he was a blast!

Wow - yeah - Blair's polo ponies at Melody - one was Pete, the other was ? anybody remember? He was a buckskin - I learned to play polo on him.

The other teacher with Ted Landers and Lee Krantz at Wilson Tech was John Messenio, I think.

I well remember the palomino trick horse at Melody and his owner. She was a neat lady! The Grossmans (Fred and Freddie) now board in Yaphank with Sheila Rodgers at Good Shepherd Farm. Pattie Aurrichio boards her horses there, too.

Anybody remember Ruthie Barnes and Rally, her horse?. She was about 90 years-old but said she was 70. She hunted with the Smithtown Hunt. She always talked about being in vaudeville in her younger years.

Okay, a question now for all of you, if we can reminisce about the 1970s does that makes us old (or maybe aged)?

Hallie McEvoy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]