The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Baby powder is a cheap, easy problem solver. There is always baby powder in my grooming box (pure corn starch variety, no talc for my stupid sensitive horse). While I don't use it on his every day boots (which are fleece lined) I do use it a lot on his xc boots. I also used it on Vernon, both xc boots and bell boots. It also goes on legs under standing wraps.

They DO look to low, though, and they look as if you pulled them up to where they belong, then they'll be too short. And if they slipped down, then no wonder they are also rubbing (both are clues that they are ill fitting or not put on tight enough).

Have you read any of the 8 million threads on boots? It is obvious COTH eventers LOVE discussing xc boots (and bits), but there is A LOT of great info in all those threads, including what are good options for small horses.

For the record, I wouldn't use xc boots every day, just because they are a little stiff. My horse wears his fleecie boots or polos every day. Before him, I just used Woofs or polos for every day.

I have been looking through as many boots threads as I possibly can, lol! I need to run a new search...

They don't slip, and I've played around with putting them higher, but then the molded ankle part sits in a funky spot. I think they are tight enough; when I take them off there are marks from where they've been.

I was trying to get used to putting them on and him getting used to wearing them. He's not a big fan of hind boots and does the crazy legs walk at first Now that he's used to them I'll use the new boots for schooling/showing XC.

Thanks everyone!

They're too short, if when you put them on properly they don't fit.

Default Woohoo! Sale!

http://www.premierequine.co.uk/acatalog/Sale.html

I was able to order BOTH pairs, front and hind, plus shipping from the company for the same price as a single pair from Smartpak!!

Granted, they're white, but they're washable. Plus since Bailey has 4 stockings, they might look pretty darn cool!

I can't wait to try them out. Scubed, thanks for all the info!

Quote Originally Posted by runNjump86 View Post
    http://www.premierequine.co.uk/acatalog/Sale.html

I was able to order BOTH pairs, front and hind, plus shipping from the company for the same price as a single pair from Smartpak!!

Granted, they're white, but they're washable. Plus since Bailey has 4 stockings, they might look pretty darn cool!

I can't wait to try them out. Scubed, thanks for all the info!
    I was just filling out the order form from Premier in the UK when I saw my order was 115 British pounds which converted to $177 US. I like these but think I will get them from Smartpak as they are $180 from them with no problems returning. This is for the BL1. Was that the one you got or was it the original or the lightweight?

Chiming in partially on the dalmar vs premier for XC thing.

A girl at the barn has a small (15.2-15.3hh fine boned) gelding and his XC boots are dalmars. The hinds are the right height but spin on his legs and he doesn't even really interfere.

I just got a set of the premiers for my small guy (15.3hh but with good bone). The mediums might be slightly tall on him but he wasn't bothered by them and they were definitely the right size width wise. He schools in the weatherbetta moulded galloping boots and was actually getting rubs on one of his pasterns from the hinds. Mostly I just use the fronts and throw on the hinds for trot/canter sets now so there hasn't been a problem.

Dalmar caused tendon inflammation on my Quarter Pony. Used the Eskadron cross country and loved them. Good luck!

Default Boots

The Veredus boots are hard to beat- the Roma's don't have enough strike protection IMHO.

I do like the new Majyk Equipe boots I just saw at Rolex. My friend told me about them a few months ago but I haven't been able to find any. I saw their booth and checked them out - basically a superior boot at a Romaish price. My friend said hers have lasted way longer too as the Velcro doesn't wear out like the Romas.

So I would say Veredus if you have the budget, Majyk if not.

BTW - if you use memory foam boots they will mold to the horse's leg better. Just fit them, finish tacking then recheck (usually you have to tighten one more time) - they work way better than the neoprene ones as they don't slip and stay cool so chafing isn't an issue. See my post below....

Consider the NEW Equine boots. Lots of options, light weight mesh or orthopaedic fleece if that is your preference. You can purchase them with tendon/cannon guards (their XC boots) or as a more dressage type sport boot (but with a "strike" liner/padding) if that is your preference.

I love mine. It was a gamble ordering them as I couldn't find any here to look at. So glad I took the risk and brought them in. Lovely boots, lots of protection without overheating legs and they wash up very nicely.