The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you think of this guy's conformation?

http://www.horseadoption.com/hermans-soldier/

I am worried a little bit about the angles of his hind end?

Warning...im not as good with conformation as I was when I was in 4-H. The horse looks...short backed"? He just looks super compact to me. Maybe hes standing awkwardly in the first pic?

His face is super cute.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Man, those shots with the foreleg closest to the camera way underneath him make his shoulder look *terrible,* don't they?

This is a horse I'd go see. He looks uncomfortable on all four in the standing shots and looks a little odd behind in the video. It could just be awkward moments, but this is not a horse I would buy off of photos.

I showed his pictures to a friend of mine and she thought the angle of his hock looked really straight. She told me not to bother unless I wanted to buy stock in Cosequin! Just wanted some other opinions! I did however like in the video when he was asked to canter and he was running into it instead of falling on his forehand you could see his front end lighten and actually raise up. I wasn't expecting to see that!

I like him a lot. His canter looks like it will be quite nice once he learns how to relax over his back. It does look like the saddle doesn't fit quite well enough. Watch how it looks like it rocks a bit when she posts the trot. That could be why he's so tight in the back.

What do you think is off with his hind end?

ETA: his hocks are NOT straight at all.

I would go look too!
    He is definitely post-legged behind and has weird back feet but he's no worse than every other TB, ever. He looks thick in the throatlatch (any chance he is a cribber?) and is probably going to be a rough ride, just judging from his shoulder.
    That being said, he DOES have a cute face and he will look nice once he has a topline.
    "I is Roxie!" yep.

Ride on, ride on. All the bad things are gone.

These are the other two I am considering:

http://www.horseadoption.com/thunderific/

http://www.horseadoption.com/glory-cat/

I have an appointment to go up and see them next Saturday so I am trying to brush up on my conformation!

I appreciate all the help I can get!

For whatever its worth I am retiring my current guy due to his hocks and stifles. We have been chasing arthritis in his hocks for a couple years now and can never get his stifles strong enough. We were always chasing those issues and were never able to progress. He just turned 16 and so I said thats it and am retiring him. He had 60 starts on the track as a 6 year old and then worked for me. He has put in his dues and now he gets a laid-back lifestyle. I just want to stay as far away from stifle/hock issues as I can- but who doesn't right! That is why I am gun shy!

I think he is probably actually very well put together, but all the photos are odd because I bet he wasn't standing absolutely still in them. My only concerns with him would be that he is slightly over at the knee in both fronts, and I'd want to see him in person to feel his front legs. The angles of his hind feet are quite steep, and this also may contributing to how he is standing.

Under saddle, I like the reach of his hindleg. He is super tense through his back and especially in the withers/base of neck... Hampton Bay is probably onto something with the saddle fit.

Hope he turns out to be even better in person

I actually really love the last horse you posted- Glory Cat. The photos just really show what a love he is. He's probably the one I would pick out of the three.
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

Quote Originally Posted by sirensong4 View Post
    I would go look too!
    He is definitely post-legged behind and has weird back feet but he's no worse than every other TB, ever. He looks thick in the throatlatch (any chance he is a cribber?) and is probably going to be a rough ride, just judging from his shoulder.
    That being said, he DOES have a cute face and he will look nice once he has a topline.

Sorry, but kinda-sorta hijacking...

What about a horse that is post-legged behind, but still REACHES under his body, and oversteps by an entire hoof length?

Thunderfici is $200. as your self why??? The Sway back issue may cause saddle fit problems and the inabilitey to follow thru to the bit. As he ages it could potentially get worse. I would definately ask a good sports horse vet and Chiro before paing for him.

I like the "Cat" horse very much from photo's of him over Herman...

Interesting that others really like his hind end movement. To me, he looked very "hock-y"; snatching up his hind legs higher than normal.

Standing still I thought he was one of the best conformed rescues I have seen. Slightly short necked, but not too bad. Unless you are looking for an upper level horse, his neck should not be a problem.

I also didn't mind his hind leg structure. Nothing is perfect, especially a $600 horse. It is within acceptable parameters.

One can dissect these horses as if they are standing in a conformation lineup, but they are not conformation horses. Pretty is as pretty does. However, in his case, his hind end is not pretty doing its job.

Word of warning: My friend lost out on a NV horse last week because while she was waiting for her application to be approved, someone else came in and grabbed the horse she was interested in.

Have you already had your application approved by them? If not, start the process right away (it is good for 2 years). The good NV horses do not stay around long. They go in a matter of days, not weeks and the best ones are out of there in the blink of an eye.

[It is also risky to post pictures on the Internet. Someone might come across this thread and have bought one of your choices by nightfall. But, if you need extra pairs of eyes, then it is a risk that is probably wirth taking.]

On the thought of "pretty is as pretty does", if I liked the basic conformation of one of these horses, I would move straight to the video and not get hung up on every conformation flaw. If the horse moves athletically, has a good overstep and "swings his parts" (as opposed to jigging around with short steps) that is the horse you want.

Good luck in your search.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

I thought his conformation wasnt too bad actually, but I dont like the way his hind end moves. I agree though, get your application done with NV right away, and be careful posting on here if you are interested.

He is probably worth a look, but i would get a vet to at least look at the video....something seems off on his walk and trot.

FWIW, we just adopted a horse from NV. Dubai, they were awesome to work with, upfront on his abilities, and were spot on about temperment. He is amazing, so they do get in some NICE animals!
    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
    www.mmceventing.com

To me the snatchy hocks looked like a tension thing. Paired with the very upright hind feet, the movement didn't surprise me too much. I would much rather see this than the choppy, short steps behind of the other horse (Thunder)
    Take us to print!

Quote Originally Posted by leahandpie View Post
    To me the snatchy hocks looked like a tension thing.
    I agree. Horse is excited, inverted, and very "looky", not moving in a relaxed manner so cannot assess his true way of going from the video. Not obviously lame, so I would definitely consider him worthy of an in-person visit.

Wonky knees.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    Thunderfici is $200. as your self why??? The Sway back issue may cause saddle fit problems and the inabilitey to follow thru to the bit. As he ages it could potentially get worse. I would definately ask a good sports horse vet and Chiro before paing for him.
    Thunderific was orginally priced for $500, I think. He's been there for several months (at least five). They've probably dropped the price to get him moved faster. Then again, ask yourself why he's been there so long...

I do have a little bit of a crush on him though. He's awfully cute.

I really don't like the way Glory Cat's neck connects to his body. Very wonky to me.
    http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
    R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.

I don't like how Glory Cat's neck connects, either- but if you look at the pics of him moving, he actually carries it very nicely.
    Take us to print!

Glory Cat has one of the most unbelievable sport horse pedigrees I have ever seen.

Starting from the top of the pedigree he has:

Fappiano, out of a Dr. Fager mare,
    Gana Facile out of an In Reality mare,
    Caro up close,
    Halo (Hail To Reason/Turn To),
    Cosmah, out of a Mahmoud mare,
    Hoist The Flag (Tom Rolfe) and out of a War Admiral mare.

And that is just his sire line! I had never heard of Unbridled Time as a sport horse sire, but I will sure be looking out for him.

The dam's side is also good:
    Blushing Groom, Crimson Satan, Northern Dancer, Glowing Tribute (Graustark), Vaguely Noble and Tom Fool.

WHEW!

Based on pedigree, Glory Cat should certainly be a great sport horse. If he were a mare, I would grab her up immediately as a broodmare.

[Sadly, I don't like where his neck comes out of his shoulder. But in the pictures he does not look heavy on his forehand, so he might be going to see in person.]
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Glory cat just has something about him. I like the way he moves and his neck will improve with work. You can't change how it's attached but the general shape of the neck can change quite a bit.

I don't see anything funky with the hind end conformation of Herman. It is normal for them to be a bit funky behind coming off the track but his way of moving is a bit more knee/hock so that isn't going to change.