The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Backing up straight

Any tips on teaching a horse to back up STRAIGHT and not in a circle? :P It seems ever since my horse went partially blind in one eye (years ago) he hasnt wanted to back up straight anymore.... Tried on the ground and he will back a few steps before his back end starts swinging out.... have tried using the fence as a guide and he might as well turn his butt into the fence and get mad :P I have tried different people (in case its a case of uneven pressure) different bits, halter and lead, long lines and a surcingle... Its the same thing every time it seems!
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

Is it super important that he backs more than a few steps? If you're using it as a training tool that's all it really takes. I suppose if he's insecure about it due to blindness I would personally let it go. If you are in a situation where you need to back him I suppose a spotter would be wise.

Im not sure if it is because of his blindness or what, exactly. Under saddle, you can instantly start to see the swing of his hips, on ground it starts about two or three steps. To me, it seems like an important skill to have...never know when it might be needed. He is also being half leased to a barn as a lesson horse (anything to cut costs!!) So it would be nice (I think) to be able to back up efficiently.
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

backing is a leg to hand exercise. always start by waling forward a step of two, or at lest add enough leg to feel your horse "stand on his toes". keep your eyes up and feel, use your legs to straighten. if he curls around your right leg, move it back and apply more leg while using less leg on the left. i agree that three or four steps is all that you should be looking for. you can use rails on the ground in case you want something concrete to tell you if the task is being performed correctly.