The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How often are the CANTER listing updated?

I have been looking through the CANTER listing, and I find that a number of them are at least a year or more old. I've seen some I liked, but the listings were quite out of date. Anyone know if they are updated with any regularity?

All depends on the affiliation. At CANTER New England we generally try update them weekly when there is live racing at Suffolk Downs (the track we cover). Racing ended back in November for us so we haven't done any updates (unless a trainer notifies us that a horse of theirs has sold). We are at the track every Saturday during racing season so we try to get the new listings (and horses sold) up on the site as soon as we can. It does get tough at times as we are all volunteers who work full-time jobs and have our own horses, etc. to take care of but we do try!

"When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Even if the listing is out of date it might be worth a call to the trainer. The horse may still be available, or the trainer might have something else that isn't listed but is similar to the one you like.

I head up the Delaware Park listings and we try to call the trainers of the horses on the older listings to get an updated status so I would say most of our listings are current even if they are older. It can be hard to track people down when the track closes but now everybody is coming back so it gives us a chance to check in with everybody to see if horses have sold over the winter.

I do the Charles Town listings for mid-atlantic and update them several times a week.

Every week we try to get updates from trainers, and about once a month we call around to get updates. However we don't always get calls back, and so there are probably lots of horses on there that have been sold (we just started another round of calling this week so should have some weeding out to do).

When I have time I look up horses that have been on there a while to see if I can find anything, and I can confirm some of our oldest listings (one from 2009!!) are still at the track, with the same owners/trainers and probably still for sale. In one case it is a REALLY nice horse, and I think people aren't interested because they see the listing is so old (well, as of feb he was still there with the same owners, anyway).

Also sometimes people list horses, then take them off because they're racing well, then later want them back up - if we edit or repost an old listing, it will still show the original date.

ETA - if anyone reading this calls about a horse and finds out it is sold, please please please let us know! It is really helpful!
    Last edited by caffeinated; Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:07 PM.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Thanks so much for your responses. You guys do a great job, I know it can't be easy to keep up with all the listings. I think it's really the best listings for thoroughbreds out there.

Amen, I look at the mid-Atlantic listing every week and love the job CANTER does.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

I second the request to email us if you hear back from trainers that horses are sold. It is a big job to keep up with all the listings so we love to hear from people if they have the inside scoop when horses are sold. Saves us from tracking people down.

I do a lot of the CANTER listings at Laurel Park, and I try to keep the master list updated by checking in with trainers to ask if their listing has sold yet while I'm doing the rounds. I can tell you that as of my run last week, there is at least one listing still active (one that surprises me a little, cute horse) that has been on the list since July 2011. In at least one 'older listing' case, the trainer placed a sound, still-racing horse on the list for a price that a lot of CANTER-shoppers will consider 'high' but in the mind of that trainer, they are willing to sell at that price but the price is fairly firm and they will keep racing otherwise.

I can't always hunt down the trainers I need to ask if their horse has sold, but I make it a priority to check during my morning runs there, because I know the trainers dislike all the calls after a horse has sold as much as the CANTER-shoppers hate calling trainers and not getting calls returned because a horse is gone.
    "To understand the soul of a horse is the closest human beings can come to knowing perfection."