The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dressage horse turned trail horse . . .

so proud of my boy. The last few months have been nothing but frustrating in the dressage arena. And since lessons are financially out of the question right now, I decided we'd do something I know I can do. So, we are hitting the trail. I've taken him out a few times before, but not consistently enough for him to be what I'd consider dependable.

Dragged out my old Hereford, saddled up on Sunday and out we went - alone. Did the "hour" loop and he was great. All we did was walk - right now I just want him to relax and check out the sights.

Went out again last night and did the same loop, again at a walk. Much more interesting - had a hiker with a leashed dog, ducks and lots of deer - and he was a rock star! He had a few moments of OMG * WTH * is/was that - but he never really did, or attempted to do, anything super silly. Nor did he throw in any of his patented hard spooks - although I've learned to sit those pretty well.

I was bursting with pride when we got back to the barn - it's nice to feel successful for a change!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Good for you, and good for your horse. Sometimes, everyone needs that change of scenery. Enjoy your rides. You just might find that your dressage is better when you get back into the ring.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

what fun! Walking is good for horse AND people.

Thanks guys! We are enjoying it and best of all we are learning to trust each other.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

thats awesome! IMO most "dressage" horses (and owners) could use a good ole romp on the trail.. good for their souls.

Any type of cross-training is good for the heart and soul of both horse and rider. Enjoy the trails

That's my ambition with my horse; cross training. I've come to think this would make for a mentally fit horse and rider. Good for you! I'm going to take a page from your book and make the introduction slow.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Quote Originally Posted by cheval convert View Post
    Any type of cross-training is good for the heart and soul of both horse and rider. Enjoy the trails

My dressage horse and I would train and show all spring, summer and fall and ALWAYS had trail rides during that time to help balance the "discipline" with some fun. Her condition, attitude and general well being benefited (as did mine!). We had more fun when in the ring because of the time we spent on trail. I feel the exposure to the "real" world helps with the inevitable surprises encountered at shows.

Have fun - hopefully your ring work has helped make your horse in to a responsive and athletic trail partner!

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    That's my ambition with my horse; cross training. I've come to think this would make for a mentally fit horse and rider. Good for you! I'm going to take a page from your book and make the introduction slow.

Paula
    I can tell you this - we are both exhausted by the time we get back - not physically of course, but it's pretty challenging mentally. I try really, really hard not to get tense - so, I sing. (not well mind you!) And slow is good for him, at least for now. Being the typical TB - once he gets going, he just keeps going, so the whole idea is keeping him slow, steady and calm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Horses View Post
    IMO most "dressage" horses (and owners) could use a good ole romp on the trail.. good for their souls.
    Totally agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Horse View Post
    I try really, really hard not to get tense - so, I sing. (not well mind you!)
    Me, too! Mostly Beatles ballads.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

My daughter routinely takes her dressage horse out about once a week for a trail ride to reset both their brains. Sad thing is, her FEI horse is a better trail horse then her mother's trusty QH
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

Quote Originally Posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
    Me, too! Mostly Beatles ballads.
    I seem to stick with God Bless America and Take Me Out to the Ball Game . . . can you tell my other "passion" is baseball?!

Quote Originally Posted by Skeezix View Post
    My daughter routinely takes her dressage horse out about once a week for a trail ride to reset both their brains. Sad thing is, her FEI horse is a better trail horse then her mother's trusty QH

Congrats to the OP.

I think everyone would be a lot happier if they stopped focusing on "Doing" this, that, the other, and whatever for ribbons... and started focusing on learning to ride, learning to love learning, and learning to live horses.

So many people get themselves twisted into knots trying to 'do' that they never learn to 'feel,' hear, and live their riding.

If you do the above, and investigate the merits of the 'disciplines' as you go, then the horse show successes with come of their own accord. And instead of having horrible ride after horrible ride in the hopes of one day having a great ride in the show ring.... you can have one great learning adventure after another. Punctuated by fun days in funny costumes at 'shows.'

NICE!

Trying different things is so good for both horse and rider. I rarely compete anymore(used to do the hunters). Now my TB mare and I dabble. We trail ride alot,have done a few low level CT's, foxhunted,hunter paced, paraded, camped, team penned, trying musical freestyle dressage,judged trail rides, and the newest thing is TREC. Congrats on your progress with your horse.

We used dressage as a training tool as our horses were competing on a national level in competitive trail.... dressage added a finesse to their moves in the judged obstacles that are a part of every NATRC competition... in most of the rides our horses beat us in points as the horse and the rider are judge separately.

As dressage horses, they sure were not the best but they were not the worst either

Quote Originally Posted by Simbalism View Post
    Trying different things is so good for both horse and rider. I rarely compete anymore(used to do the hunters). Now my TB mare and I dabble. We trail ride alot,have done a few low level CT's, foxhunted,hunter paced, paraded, camped, team penned, trying musical freestyle dressage,judged trail rides, and the newest thing is TREC. Congrats on your progress with your horse.
    Thanks! As much as I love the dressage work - it was time to break out of the arena. I am hoping that my guy will become as versatile as your mare - sounds like you guys have a lot of fun! Congrats to you