The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best online UK Tack Shops?

Hey Guys!

I am in need of a brown dressage girth (of the tiny variety...like a 20; Woody, he's not a giant). Anyhoo, there are a few on some US websites, but they're few and far between and because there isn't much selection, the ones that are available are out of my price range. (I'm sure it's a MAJIKAL girth, and perhaps it will drop my score 10 points, but I'm sorry, I'm not buying a $200 girth...would that I could).

It seems that the UK ALSO follows my master consolidation plan*. Therefore they seem to have a larger selection of brown dressage girths, but I'm not familiar enough to know THE online tack stores. You know, their version of SmartPak/Dover/VTO... whatever.

I've found a few and even with the conversion and shipping they're still a better deal, but I'm guessing there are shops out there that I haven't found yet. I'm sure SOMEONE in the vast brilliant COTH community has an answer for me, yes?

Thanks!

*If BOTH saddles are brown, and you can flat and jump in the same bit, you only need ONE BRIDLE! This reduces tack cleaning...and this pleases me.
    ------------------------------
    Life Goes On

1 members found this post helpful.

My Favorite UK site is Derby House.

http://www.derbyhouse.co.uk/?utm_med...4ZIUHA,29LRE,1

I buy from them a few times a year or more. I am on there emailing list and get all the sales info 3-5 times a week.

I have found that I can the item from them and pay shipping and still spend less. Sometimes I have to wait a few weeks if they are out of stock, but I don't care. Never not been happy with anything I have gotten from them.
    Last edited by Eleanor; Apr. 18, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
    Are you going to cowboy up or lie there and BLEED?

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor View Post
    My Favorite UK site is Durby House.

http://www.derbyhouse.co.uk/?utm_med...4ZIUHA,29LRE,1

I buy from them a few times a year or more. I am on there emailing list and get all the sales info 3-5 times a week.

I have found that I can the item from them and pay shipping and still spend less. Sometimes I have to wait a few weeks if they are out of stock, but I don't care. Never not been happy with anything I have gotten from them.
    DErby House, lol. (Just in case anyone is Googling it. )

Another source- http://www.rideaway.co.uk/girths
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie8 View Post
    *If BOTH saddles are brown, and you can flat and jump in the same bit, you only need ONE BRIDLE! This reduces tack cleaning...and this pleases me.
    Why would the color of the bridle have anything to do with the color of the saddle?

Why would the color of the saddle have anything to do with the color of the girth?

I have a dressage saddle that was once black, but has faded to brown. I have ALWAYS used it with a brown bridle and a black girth.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Lisa, if it doesn't need to be leather, Wintec makes a synthetic brown dressage girth. I have the black one, and its holding up well to my neglect (and cleans with a hose!), and HRH approves, and you know she's almost as picky as Woods

If BOTH saddles are brown, and you can flat and jump in the same bit, you only need ONE BRIDLE! This reduces tack cleaning...and this pleases me.

but replace brown with black.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Why would the color of the bridle have anything to do with the color of the saddle?

Why would the color of the saddle have anything to do with the color of the girth?

I have a dressage saddle that was once black, but has faded to brown. I have ALWAYS used it with a brown bridle and a black girth.

Quote Originally Posted by JenEM View Post
    Lisa, if it doesn't need to be leather, Wintec makes a synthetic brown dressage girth. I have the black one, and its holding up well to my neglect (and cleans with a hose!), and HRH approves, and you know she's almost as picky as Woods
    Ditto to the Wintec. I had a brown 20" for my Chiberta, but sold it with the saddle. They don't hold water and can be hosed off daily in the summer so pone-pone doesn't grow girth area fungus! Cleans up super easy and the one I had was like 6 years old and still in great condition.

I also like Derby -- as in 'darby' -- House.

However, if you want something really cool, Old Mill Saddlery in N. Ireland sells these amazing custom whips.

Make sure that they take off the VAT which is 20% and is included in the price shown online. You would be surprised how many do not.

1 members found this post helpful.

My favorite is Gibson's in Newmarket. I did find their website but you may need to email them to find a girth under 36" as they don't appear to have any.(at least on the website). http://www.gibsonsaddlers.com/catego...hs-surcingles/

The Passage Nunn Finer girth comes in brown and little size (20"):
    http://www.bitofbritain.com/The_Pass...irth_p/377.htm

I just bought the Mark Todd event girth from equestrian clearance and couldn't have been happier w the product and their service

http://www.horze.com/Horze-Joffre-Sh...,en_US,pd.html

What about that one from Horze? They're having another 50% off coupon sale (the coupon code is happynewyear but i'm not sure when it ends?) Its store wide so while the 20 isn't one of the yellow marked 'sale' ones at 30% off, it should qualify for the coupon code.

oops, just realized this thread is from april and just got bumped