The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mare in heat off her feed?

My new mare is in heat right now and won't touch her grain (that she usually finishes happily). Everything else is totally normal - she is eating hay, drinking, normal poo/pee and gut sounds. Has anybody ever experienced something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by MustangPony11 View Post
    My new mare is in heat right now and won't touch her grain (that she usually finishes happily). Everything else is totally normal - she is eating hay, drinking, normal poo/pee and gut sounds. Has anybody ever experienced something like this?
    Yes I have a mare that gets a tummy ache if she is coming into heat and there is a big weather change at the same time. Tho she picks at grain she does not happily eat it all like normal. Probiotics helped a little. Banamine for the worst of it. Other than that is was reeally just a wait it out (a day...maybe 2).

If in doubt call the vet.

Everytime she's in heat she comes off her feed. She gets a little nutty. This last time she got so freaking stupid that she came off her feed, backed off her hay, frantically galloped back in forth in front of my barn for hours. I ended up having to give her ace, rompum, and dormo for 4 days to take the edge off as she just totally over ran it. I have since started her on chaste tree berry and upped her magnesium to 60g and she was back to her normal self.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

And horses get cramps too

I have a young mare that not only will go off her feed, she will show colic-like signs when in heat.

KrazyTBMare, did the Chaste Berry/Magnesium help her through her next heat?

This was just Easter weekend so I wont know YET.

Chaste tree berry is basically progesterone so its SUPPOSED to keep her from really truly coming back in which is fine if shes going to be that bad. I mean she was really dangerous to herself.

The magnesium (MagRestore) DOES help regardless as I have had her on it for 2 yrs now. She still will get really distracted and have some separation anxiety but its more managable. The thing that sucks is when she goes off of her feed, she doesnt get her magnesium and then its a vicious cycle.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

I also have a mare that only picks at her hay when she has her transitional heat.......and at times actually acts colicy.

Dalemma

Default Chaste berry/Vitex

I start my Princess Squatty Drippy aka Ms Raging Hormones on her Vitex (chaste berry powder) "cocktail" in March and continue through November. She does continue to cycle, vitex does not stop the cycling, however she is much less showy and appears to be more comfortable. The cocktail, poured over her feed, is vitex powder combined w/ organic ACV. (3/4 c vitex + 1/2 gal OACV, 1/4 c daily) Not only does this cocktail help her cycles, last summer, I found only a few ticks on her...coincidence?