The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Was anyone else disappointed with the "Breeders Bridge" semi finalists?

I just watched the videos, and liked Golden Alter and Alter BF, but was very under-whelmed by the rest. I am sure they picked the best 5, for their purposes, but think it must have not been a great pool to pick from. Does anyone else agree?

I really liked Welcome BF and thought Constant Star was Ok, the rest were fine.

Having not seen and carefully reviewed every single one of the videos and all other information in comparison to the rest, I can't say whether they were the best or not.

The specific traits in a younger horse that say it can get to the elite level? Having never developed and successfully marketed horses at that level as the selection folks here have, can't speak to that either.

They were the best in the opionion of those doing the selections and providing the opportunity. Not sure that disagreeing on some of the choices and having a different opinion should lead to being disappointed in the program????
    Last edited by findeight; Apr. 18, 2012 at 01:27 PM.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I haven't seen the videos, but, based on their criteria (which was not what I thought it was), I have to think that they have incredibly discerning eyes and a more sophisticated viewpoint than we do.

My (slight) disappointment comes from the misunderstanding of the goal of the contest. Callie's bio emphasized that she had brought along her current horse to the GP level. That, combined with the "water cooler" chat, "What a great way for Callie to get the ride on a future GP horse while promoting NA breeding at the same time"., led me to believe that they were looking for horses who were already exhibiting their scope and talent in the show ring.

Perhaps I was the only one who had this view of the contest, but the 5 horses named (along with the comments about age) were very surprising to me.

Since entering the contest was free, I am certainly not out any money. But I probably would not have entered a 9 y.o. WB who has already won a 5 bar, jumping 1.60m to do it (and has been showing at 120m+ since last year.)

Sour grapes? I hope not. Even if they had been looking for a young horse like mine, there was certainly no guarante he would have been selected. -- My confusion comes more from the actual criteria for selection.

I wishthe selected horses and their connections all the best. I hope that more BNT's will step up to the plate to search out talented horses which are not showing at WEF, the way the Maddens did.

There are a lot of owners who cannot afford campaigning on the AA circuit, but have horses who might belong there.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Having not seen and carefully reviewed every single one of the videos and all other information in comparison to the rest, I can't say whether they were the best or not.

The specific traits in a younger horse that say it can get to the elite level having never developed and successfully marketed horses at that level as the selection folks here have, can't speak to that either.

They were the best in the opionion of those doing the selections and providing the opportunity. Not sure that disagreeing on some of the choices and having a different opinion should lead to being disappointed in the program????
    I don't think they are disagreeing with the selections. I think the point is and was my first thought after getting to the second video of a horse that will probably be, at the top of their careers an average 3'6" horse, is that the top horses this country's breeders have to offer weren't submitted.

I did wonder what they would get offering it to horse's 5 and up only. Breeders DO NOT hang onto their top foals that long!!! The 5 year old that are with their breeders are either crap, kept for the program, or a special keeper horse. Now, I know they did not have to be submitted by breeders, the the program is about "bridging the breeders", not "submit your top sale horse, because were shopping, but want it on a budget". If it was called the latter, I think they would have gotten more entries, unfortunately.

Better yet, they needed to be looking for 2-3 year old based off free jumping, conformation, and athletic movement and offered to start it under saddle. That could have got the some nice horse's still with the breeders!

I was actually more surprised by the language used to describe the horses. There was one in particular described in the article that they didn't seem too thrilled with.

I thought the choices were interesting but I don't know what they were choosing from. I agree with Rel6, I thought the descriptions at time seemed lackluster and like they were reaching for positive comments. Like the one about the horse's ears. Thought that was a strange thing to put out there when talking about why you selected the horse. I didn't watch all the videos or even one full video so can't comment much on the horses.

But good luck to all the horses, the Maddens for taking this chance, and all the owners sending their horses out into the world to be judged! Very stressful to send them out into the world

Thought a couple of these were really pretty darn good and well presented.

The offer here was for 3 months to evaluate, advance and possibly help market. I don't know what 3 months would do for a 2 or 3 year old in a program looking for elite level prospects (or even marketeable Jr A/O Jumpers) and know that 2 and 3 year olds is not where the biggest part of that market is. I assumed they would be further along-I dunno about 8 and up but 6 or so seems ripe to really show what they can do and might go on to do in this kind of situation.

If the best are not submitted by breeders/owners for various reasons, they cannot choose them.

It's a good start at filling a big hole, hopefully it grows.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Thought a couple of these were really pretty darn good and well presented.

The offer here was for 3 months to evaluate, advance and possibly help market. I don't know what 3 months would do for a 2 or 3 year old in a program looking for elite level prospects (or even marketeable Jr A/O Jumpers) and know that 2 and 3 year olds is not where the biggest part of that market is. I assumed they would be further along-I dunno about 8 and up but 6 or so seems ripe to really show what they can do and might go on to do in this kind of situation.

If the best are not submitted by breeders/owners for various reasons, they cannot choose them.

It's a good start at filling a big hole, hopefully it grows.
    I know why they want an older going horse, but I think they could have gotten some top prospects straight from breeders in the younger age group. I don't think it's a better way to identify gp talent (it's not), I just think there would have been a chance for higher quality horse's to be submitted. A LOT can be done to see the talent of a top 3 year old (or two year old, but not
    jumping underSaddle). Even 4 year old would make sense, but even then the top horse's are already sold and in someone else program. A talented 3 year old can be started and at the end of 90 days be video one or two times (no drilling) jumping a simple 3'6" course at home and grid work with fences 4'+. I'm talking about talented horse (what they want) and a good
    young horse trainer

Look at the top stallions prospects in Europe. The top 3 year olds with good ridability are presented over oxer to 5' riden and much bigger in free jumping. I think, that is the type of talent they want to find. I can also see why they don't want to be in the spot light pushing a young horse, since that is a sensitive top in the US right now.

But regardless, if anybody, the Maddens or otherwise, want to support and showcase us breeders, it starts at getting the younger horse's from the breeders before they are in someone else's program heading in a different direction. Then they need to be developed as gp prospects instead of developed as the end goal of being junior hunters or equitation mounts, ect. Then if they flop as a gp horse, they get redirected to those other divisions.

Flyracing, that was exactly my point. I think that some, especially Alter BF, were very well presented. I also thought the comment about ear placement was hilarious. The program is a great idea, just wished all the semi finalists were of the same quality we would see coming out of Europe.

Are you saying that top 3 year old european prospects are ridden over 5 ' fences and that 4 year olds here after 90 days should be doing 4 foot grid work?

Interesting! Nah - I wasn't a bit underwhelmed but I appreciate the conversation your post might generate! I really liked Constant Star but I think it is tough to tell anything based on a short video.