The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I too read this as "Holy crap your 8 year old is doing 3ft hunters and jumpers already, you are definitely in trouble"

The OP's daughter is NOT eight and she is tall enough for a horse. We saw lovely videos of her and her large pony at Zone 3 finals last year.

OP, good luck! I am sure it will be just fine but I can imagine how you feel.

Visiting from the "darkside" forum....my DD is about to do her first prelim in a few weeks. I don't usually indulge in adult beverages, but might well be that day! Why can't they stay on their ponies with blue ribboned braids forever???

Good luck to your daughter! Bet she'll do great!

Quote Originally Posted by Humblepie View Post
    Visiting from the "darkside" forum....my DD is about to do her first prelim in a few weeks. I don't usually indulge in adult beverages, but might well be that day! Why can't they stay on their ponies with blue ribboned braids forever???

Good luck to your daughter! Bet she'll do great!
    I know where everyone is coming from, mine is now in jumpers and eventing, novice. Grey hairs, I have lots of them. She wants to do novice this year, and training the next....I don't know if my nerves will handle it.

All the other moms look so brave, cool and calm when they're ringside as their kids are doing jumpers. I was beginning the think I was the only mom who was nervously clutching the camera, closing her eyes and sucking in her breath nervously. I need to soak my head in a vat of Clairol after the rounds to hold back the gray hair! I can hardly stand to watch though I really want to, and have to go pace a LOT around the grounds, counting off the seconds while my kid is in the ring, and walk off any horse show food i might have nervously consumed. The good news, I am thinking of marketing and selling my "diet" and "exercise" routine-- The Nervous Horse Show Mom's Guide to Dropping Pounds. LOL I have to watch the videos afterward to see what I missed.
    Good luck, OP, to your DD.

LOL - I too thought "the dark side" meant eventing and since I think I know who your DD's trainer is, I couldn't quite see that happening....

For what it is worth, if you are still with that trainer, she put my daughter in the jumper ring for the first time a couple of years ago. Told her to ignore the clock and ride it like an eq course, which she did and had a blast. DD was a bit nervous about doing it the first time but it was such a good experience that she now loves it and is confident enough to give it a good gallop when needed.

Don't worry about your DD spending some time in the jumper ring with the right horse and trainer, when she finally gets back to the Eq classes, she will be better for it.

Me too - the dark side is eventing. Jumpers, hey the rails fall down! I have jumper friends who are scared to death of trying eventing because, as they've said, the ground moves. oh lordy. They can't ride terrain at all!

Let your daughter learn from everything. It will make her a more complete rider. You've got the fun part, being supportive and proud.

Thanks all for the uplift...yes, DD is 13 and while only 5'5" she has legs up to her armpits so no more pony.

The jumpers were awesome for her. I had to have a friend man the camera as i was shaking too hard, though. In the end, saintly schoolie was the perfect horse for her to take around, and they were not only clean but fast! He got her out of her rookie mistakes, and she lost a stirrup but never blinked (thank you trainer for all the bareback and stirrup-less training) and picked it right back up on the other side of the fence.

She also got a ribbon, which we did NOT expect, which was complete icing. Her trainer did have her ride it like an eq course, and it worked nicely. 5th out of 29!

I have never seen a grin like the one she wore out of the ring, and she has already said she never wants to go back to the hunters. It just made her so freaking happy, and i am super proud.

I will post a couple pics when i get home.

[QUOTE=alittlegray;6264776](thank you trainer for all the bareback and stirrup-less training)

LOL - bareback and no stirrup lessons.....yup I know who you ride with!!!

She used to walk in the barn and tell DD she might as well pull the stirrups off before she got on because she wasn't going to need them for the next hour!

^She gets this from T all the time! Lol, winter before last, DD had outgrown her old saddle badly and we sold it around November. I asked trainer if she knew of any good ones for sale we could try, and she told me we could look around March when we might need one again. Sure enough, DD lessoned bareback all winter and we didn't get one until almost April of last year. Today all those bareback lessons sure paid off!!

Here we go - first fence on course!

Now isn't a good time to blink, silly..

You think she's a little happy to have gone clean??

Please, no critique of my rider today - she knows her leg slipped a couple times already.

Oh, and just for reference re:legs, the TB she is on is 16.2. I think we are going to have to buy her something about 18 hands tall just in case she keeps growing.

Can't wait for pics!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Gotta love posting at the same time. Pics look great!! So glad she enjoyed jumpers!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

She looks great!

Great pics, alittlegray! Very nice.

Oh, and my mom still worries when she watches me jump at a show. I'm now 44. hhaa! So it may never go away. Try to enjoy.

A few more photos - note, none of these were taken by me, as my hands were definitely shaking. Apologies for the blurry!

Game face

Jump off? No sweat! I got this...

Last one!

THAT was a blast!

Good boy who totally earned extra cookies today for packing her around.

Great pictures!! I'm glad it went so well for her!
    For the record, my mother still gets nervous when I show and she does video tape - we always joke that you can tell how nervous she was by how many "earthquakes" appear during the round!

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    Great pictures!! I'm glad it went so well for her!
    For the record, my mother still gets nervous when I show and she does video tape - we always joke that you can tell how nervous she was by how many "earthquakes" appear during the round!
    It is funny, but I have to admit I have gotten maybe two good photos of my own child in the years she has been riding. Everyone else in the barn I can take amazing photos for. Not my own kid. I just always miss the shot somehow.

fabulous. thanks for sharing! what a nice pair - making it look fun & easy! and those legs - oh my! a supermodel would kill for those...

What a leggy girl!

Great pics! You should be a very proud mama - looks like they did wonderful together!