The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "Popped" splint: cold and hard = old?

Background: Just turned 6 yrs old WB mare. Started eventing - just BN, some Novice (XC is great, stadium is not..). We were jumping today and she rapped a fence pretty hard. I didn't notice anything riding, I rode about 15 minutes longer...spouse (not a horse pro but has watched a lot and knows her gait...) only saw two odd canter strides after (a few minute after), so I I trotted and cantered 2 circles each way, no sign of anything..then I quit. Cold hosed the legs and used sore no more - no warmth or swelling. This was around 5 pm..

Tonight, when I went out for night check (5 or so hours later), still no heat, no swelling, she walked good (can't see much else in the dark). But, this time, whilst running my hands down the legs, I felt what I call a popped splint on the left hind - about midway from hock to feltlock, outside of leg. It's hard and cold and horse doesn't care about it (other than the usual - why is a human poking at my legs so much - please go away attitude). I don't have much experiece with leg things (but am having a bad run of luck - after 30 some years I guess it's my turn), so I don't have a lot of hands on knowledge to go by. I am pretty sure I could have missed this, as it's small and depending upon how she positions her leg it is almost hidden.

A search here and the internet oeverall make it sound like if it's hard and cold and the horse isn't lame, there's not much to do unless you want cosmetic surgery...

Just checking here. I am OK given her 2 - 3 days of rest but do have an eventing clinic coming up. Will cancel if needed though.

Thanks in advance.
    "Fool! Don't you see now that I could have poisoned you a hundred times had I been able to live without you." Cleopatra VII

No warmth, no swelling and no lameness? What are you worried about?

I wouldn't be if I hadn't had the really bad rap today. My heart horse (and great jumper) came out of last winter with high ringbone and had to retire from all but light hack and so I am running paranoid about legs....Also she may have been off a bit, but again, the person seeing it isn't trained to check things. I do honestly believe that if you watch a horse long enough they all look lame some way or the other I can see them out my LR window and she was acting different - didn't run with the other two like normal. But, she is independent.

Thanks for reading the thread and reply though, just posting here to get some confirmation to just let it be.
    "Fool! Don't you see now that I could have poisoned you a hundred times had I been able to live without you." Cleopatra VII

Typically first signs of it are swelling, heat and lameness and you indicated none- see if shes sore at all tomorrow and if not, then you're good to go. She may have just stung herself bad enough on the rail. My horse stumbled today and acted lame for long enough for me to get off of her, untack and after finding no heat or swelling I decided to jog her out only to find her perfectly sound....mares gotta love em.

I do need to adjust to a 'new" horse (got this one at 9months and have had her since), she is not "wimpy" but isn't like my mare with ringbone - that mare is SO SO stoic that if she seemed just a little NQR it meant something was really wrong and usually a vet call (only cried wolf on eye stuff, but that is a personal issue on my part - I freak out at eye issues). Colic, all that one did was stand and look a bit different. That one popped a few splints and her hind legs xray clean and she was never lame on those! A TB I had was princess in the pea - if she stepped on a rock you could have sworn you were going to have to put her down. Stepped wrong, same thing. 3 legged lame, quite the drama queen. 10 minutes later, no sign of anything.

This one, not sure, I think somewhat in the middle, which is OK. The stoic is really hard, by the time they present, it's too late (if there's no obvious signs). Good point to take the individual horse into account.

Take care, good night!

I've had a similar case- horse came in from turnout with a hard, cold swelling on a hind leg that looked just like an old splint. It was right over a splint bone. Never was lame, never palpated painfully. Not sure what it was, since I always thought a true splint is quite painful and will have heat/swelling. Eventually it went away. I continued to ride and just kept an eye on it. Freaked out when I first noticed it but decided with no heat/swelling/pain to stop worrying.

Thanks Eventer13.

I can't imagine that if it was from the jumping incident that it would be cold and hard 15 minutes later - it would be warm and mushier I would think...I think it is relatively "new" though - the trainer she was at is very good at checking legs.

I wasn't such a freak when I had two riding horses, now that I am down to one I have become a freak. I have another retired OTTB that is not rideable and having 3 "lame" horses freaks me out...