The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Which dog with which horse/discipline

Have you ever noticed certain dog breeds with certain horse breeds/disciplines?

I had noticed it to some extent, seen a few Arab people liking the Saluki's(sp).

There were some "Hunt types" with Corgi's.

Ah, maybe its just me.

KH
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

See lots of cattle dogs, hounds and boarder collies at working western horse events.

Lots of Jack Russell Terriers at hunter jumper events

Lots of bigger dogs like rhodesian ridgebacks at eventing outings.

And of course a mix of everything inbetween.

IME I see a lot of arab people with poodles

One year I went to rolex dogs seemed to show up by the day. Ie dressage days were corgi days, cross was JRT day.. (I didn't stay for the show jumping that year)

Traditionally I would think JRTs would go with hunt types. I have JRTs but I am primarily a dressage person. BUT I do love hunting! After all the JRT was developed to go to ground after foxes (when the hounds chased one to a den and it wouldn't bolt)

At Saddlebred shows there are lots of small terriers- Jack Russell, Rat, Toy Fox, etc. Also Corgis and Aussies. But I also know Keeshond, Golden Retrievers, Labrador Retrievers, Whippets, Shih Tzus, Boston Terriers, Poodles, Swiss Mountain Dogs, Bulldogs, and whole lot of other things!

stock breed show, lots of heelers, aussies and some corgis

hunter/dressage shows corgis and jack russels

Labs and goldens at polo.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

I find a lot of my Arab horse friends are suckers for the fat ugly medically compromised mutt. We all have lots of those running around our shows! And we are famous for old slow dogs wandering around unsupervised but these dogs are old pros at the horse show scene. They never bother anyone or each other and they seem to just stick around close enough to their owners that no one ever loses a dog and the dog always ends up back at the stalls along with the barn gang of choice, no probs! We can identify which trainers are at a show based on what old dog is wandering around the grounds.
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

Quote Originally Posted by winfieldfarm View Post
    I find a lot of my Arab horse friends are suckers for the fat ugly medically compromised mutt. We all have lots of those running around our shows! And we are famous for old slow dogs wandering around unsupervised but these dogs are old pros at the horse show scene. They never bother anyone or each other and they seem to just stick around close enough to their owners that no one ever loses a dog and the dog always ends up back at the stalls along with the barn gang of choice, no probs! We can identify which trainers are at a show based on what old dog is wandering around the grounds.
    Ugh, loose dogs at horse shows. My Jack Russell/Miniature Poodle cross was attacked by another trainer's German Shepherd at an Arab show. My dog was tied to my tack trunk while I was warming up a horse for a class, the other dog was loose. My dog has been very territorial/defensive when tied up ever since that incident.

I'm a trail rider, and most of the people I ride with who own dogs tend to keep to the smaller shepherds and cattle dogs wth short coats and high stamina. They want dogs that can keep up with the horses over distance, but small enough to heft into the saddle for a bit if they need a break.

I used to bring my Rottie out on trail with me, and occasionally borrowed my parents' Lab/Dane mix for company after my Rottie passed away.

Some of the women have little "accessory" dogs like Chihuahuas and Dachshunds, which they never actually ride with. They just keep the dog in the trailer (with a/c) back at the campsite while everyone goes out for the day. I really have no use for dogs like that. They're cute. . .but they're barely big enough to even qualify as a lap-warmer.
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    Ugh, loose dogs at horse shows. My Jack Russell/Miniature Poodle cross was attacked by another trainer's German Shepherd at an Arab show. My dog was tied to my tack trunk while I was warming up a horse for a class, the other dog was loose. My dog has been very territorial/defensive when tied up ever since that incident.
    I second this ugh. I can't imagine attending a show that allows loose dogs. All the shows I attend require that dogs are on leash, if they are allowed at all.

I do think dog breeds come and go into fashion. I've seen lots of Austrailian shephards lately and plenty of mutts that have some shepard in them. And of course, the JRT seems to be everywhere.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

Oh I agree. Loose dogs at a show throw turds in the face of the leash rule. Trouble with the loose dogs at our shows is that they usually belong to show management! Or the big money trainers. And the show management isn't going to peeve off the big money trainers over a leash rule because they need the money the trainer brings to the show.

Ya want to know what I hate worse than loose dogs at a show? Barking dogs. Dogs unattended at the stalls that won't shut up. I know folks bring dogs to shows for many reasons but if your dog is woofing his brains out while alone at the stalls, make different arrangements so the rest of us don't go batty listening to fido going batty.
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

Never seen a saluki at an Arab show but seen lots of others with no one breed standing out. I love them all, but hate loose ones!

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Labs and goldens at polo.
    This.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/