The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

My story, or my tale...

I'm ancient and a retired employment lawyer, who lives in the deepest darkest Delta of Mississippi, where blues seep out of every window and into every soul.

Grew up on horseback and foxhunted as a teenager. Then got on with my life, and somehow horses weren't part of it.

After I retired, I rescued a gray TB mare from a feedlot, my first horse in over thirty years.

Started riding again, and set a goal of foxhunting--even if it was just hilltopping. Got there. My mare and I bonded instantly. The week after she came from Southern California, I went out to her barn, called her name, and she came trotting over to me. She had wonderful, floating gaits, a walk that ate up miles and a huge jump. She was incredibly sweet on the ground and most of the time under saddle. But she had periods when she was really squirrelly and reared, but I just thought it was hormonal, since she had flaunting, flagrant heats.

I was wrong. I went off her a year ago, and tore my knee to shreds. I sent her off to a trainer who specialized in difficult horses for retraining and all was going really well, when she colicked. We hauled her off to the state vet school, and an Ultrasound showed that she had an abdominal abscess the size of a grapefruit. Necropsy showed that it was old and filled with pus. She showed no signs of discomfort until the day before she had to be put down. The scar tissue had started to kill off part of the small intestine and part of the liver. I miss her dreadfully.

I learned from her that I will never be without a horse in my life again. So day before yesterday, I bought a 16.2 dark bay TB foxhunter named Duncan, who has old age joints, as do I, and he will be my schoolmaster and foxhunter.

I'm vineyridge, because that is the name of the family cotton farm. On most other boards, I'm Muttpack, as I take in stray and unwanted dogs of all kinds and am fascinated by dog behavior.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clive's Mom:
    I just moved my horse to Clifton last month after leaving my trainer of many years. Taking it easy these days and trying to figure out what I want to do with my horse going forward.

I missed the Mosby's night, but I'm looking forward to making the *next?* one (hint hint).
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Mosby's was great!

My real name is Margie Wolson and I currently am responsible for 5 beasties, three are actually mine and two borrowed ponies. Yes, I borrow them for reasons that make no sense to those non-horsey humans.

Taffy is my 30 year old Chincoteague pony mare (got her as a foal at the roundup)

Wings is a 2 year old TB gelding and is half brother to our Maddie, the 5 month old orphan TB filly.

Thumper belongs to Haymarket vet service and is the most wonderful solid gold pony in the world. She has been a surrogate mother for our Maddie and will be going back to her "real" home in the next couple of weeks.

Pockets is an appy pony gelding borrowed from Sharon Richards to keep Wings company and for my neice to ride.

My animals are currently in Lorton, about 45 minutes by trail on the power lines to Clifton, Clive's Mom [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img], or 10 minutes by auto. (the Saddlery down there is having a great sale right now on everything beginning with "L" as well as winter blankets so boogie on down there, I am hoping to convince them that "L"eather counts [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img])

The road our barn is on (Rt 123/Ox Rd) is being widened so I have to find a new place to call home.

I enjoy eventing, driving, judged pleasure rides and hope to soon show in breeding classes. My sisters and I maintain a web site out of incredible gratitude for our old family friend who raises Andalusian horses and taught us to ride as well as to enjoy life. I also have a site for my Little Orphan Maddie so I can share her growth and adventures. Maybe there will be show pics of her up next year if I can do this in-hand class stuff!
    http://www.tamarackstables.com http://www.clutter.com/maddie

[This message has been edited by Everythingbutwings (edited 10-17-2000).]
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Canter, Heidi, Palisades and I can now be known as the Southern Ontario Clique. If I missed anyone, please feel free to join.

I am 36 and live in Toronto. I have two of the most gorgeous and wonderful children I know. Funny, that! My husband is not horsey and refuses to be(allergies, attitude). I work in retail and institutional brokerage at what is now another bank owned brokerage firm.

I have been riding since I was about 7, but didn't own my own horse until I was 20. I did the Adult hunter(3'), a little DQ work and dabbled in breeding with success. I have not been consistant in my riding since having my second child, but plan on riding more in the next year.

I sold my large pony to an american last dec and she has done really well, south of the border. My family owns a wonderful jumper named Hello Newman(Weltmeyer grandson) and I just bought a dutch/tb filly(4 1/2 months old) out of Sauvage Diamont that is completely gorgeous(not biased, no, no, no).

My daughter starts taking riding lessons this sunday and I am very excited, although I think it is my asthmatic son that is going to love it more. He has that passion for animals where she is more reserved. Husband is very depressed about it all(hehe).

Good to meet you all.

How was that, Canter?
    And God took a handful of southerly wind, blew his breath upon it, and
    created the horse.\" Bedouin legend

LOL. If we had audio, you'd hear clapping!

To the Southern Ontario clique (and anyone else brave enough to join us at the Royal):

I expect to see all these bio's neatly pinned to your "Hello My Name Is Poo" sticker-tags at the Fox and Hound next month.

[This message has been edited by Canter (edited 10-17-2000).]

Toronto, a city that\'s not won a Stanley Cup in my damned lifetime

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LCR Scott:

My daughter starts taking riding lessons this sunday and I am very excited, although I think it is my asthmatic son that is going to love it more. He has that passion for animals where she is more reserved.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you think we were separated at birth? Or perhaps ours sons were. My three-year-old seems identical to yours - down to the asthma. Although he seems fine around horses, and has never had an attack at the barn, do wonder how many riders out there suffer from the same thing. I know that asthmatics shouldn't be excluded from physical exercise but I do worry.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by heidi:
    Do you think we were separated at birth? Or perhaps ours sons were. My three-year-old seems identical to yours - down to the asthma. Although he seems fine around horses, and has never had an attack at the barn, do wonder how many riders out there suffer from the same thing. I know that asthmatics shouldn't be excluded from physical exercise but I do worry. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Make that triplets. My 11 year old son who rides suffered dreadfully from asthma when he was young. Luckily he doesn't get too bad when he rides...he'd still ride even if he was turning blue, poor kid.

Sorry we're going off topic. Hi my name is....

Toronto, a city that\'s not won a Stanley Cup in my damned lifetime

Hello, my name is poo and I'm the mother of an asthmatic...

I love these threads! I don't think I've ever contributed either. I'll keep it short (because I could babble endlessly about nothing, as I tend to do). I am 24 and live in Arizona...many of you have seen a pic of my new mare, Leila (http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewP...13&p=29773481). I've been riding since I was 6 (evented 'til I was 14) and have done the A/A jumpers for a couple of years but hopefully will be moving up to the A/O and getting back into the hunter/EQ ring soon. I grew up riding in S. Cal but came to AZ to go to A.S.U. I graduated last year with a degree in broadcast journalim/poly sci/italian and am now considering going back for vet school (in other words, wandering aimlessly). After graduating, I was a reporter/anchor for an ABC station and hated it so I left and am currently "re-evaluating." In the meantime, I do corporate communications for a semiconductor company. I used to wander to E-search occasionally but always felt more comfortable over here!

Well, I am currently from Minnesota. I grew up in Michigan and Indiana. I am a 29 year old professed equine addict. I moved up here about 3 years ago in pursuit of my boyfriend (now husband). We were married earlier this year and recently bought out first house. I work as a employee benefits consultant to support my horse addiction.

I bought my first horse Reilly almost two full years ago. He's an ex-racer that was purchased from the Cheskas. At the time of purchase, he had been off the track for about year and I really wish I could find out who re-trained him (they did a great job), because he has turned into a lovely honest hunter.

We started off in Long Stirrup and now have moved onto to Novice Adult. We show at A and B shows. I board at a farm that's right next to a county park that has miles of lovely bridle paths. He's a pretty decent trail horse as long as he gets to lead.

I missed this too the first time round. A result of being on the West Coast and not having a computer at home - I always seem to log on half way through the interesting threads! Anyways...

Hi IÂ’m Jair.

IÂ’m 27 and live in Vancouver with my partner. I work as a geologist and have a 16.3 h grey SF gelding whom I am aiming at the High Amateur/Owner jumpers. We are currently competing at 4ft, as well as dabbling in dressage and three-day eventing.

Unfortunately I donÂ’t have a dog like some of you (although IÂ’d dearly love a German Shepherd!) but my partner has a big tabby cat that doesnÂ’t like me, which makes life interesting, and as a hobby I am currently in the process of starting an Aquarium. Which will be totally cool!

Oh – and I belong to both the VA and CA/Westcoast cliques. (and the Canadian one as well if it exists [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ) Guess that makes me a man of many cliques!! LOL!
    You Strike Me Still

Jair, you can hold an out of town membership in the SO Clique. I'm sure the others wouldn't mind. You would be our first male member.
    And God took a handful of southerly wind, blew his breath upon it, and
    created the horse.\" Bedouin legend

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RodeoGirl:
    Ahhhh weddings!!! I'm addicted! My roomate this summer got me started...we always bought wedding magazines...Martha Stewart Wedding and Southern Living Wedding were the BEST!! I've got everything for my wedding picked out...except the man!!!! Can anyone give me a little help on this one?!?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My roommates and I all have ours planned too. LOL. There are 2 of us that have already met our.. lesser halves [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]... and we have our dresses and everything. Lotsa fun. I gave Brent (the infamous boyfriend) a picture of the ring that I want for my engagement ring... and his only reply was "note to self: win lottery!" haha. Weddings are fun. I'm helping my brother and sister in law to be plan theirs right now! They just booked their honeymoon to Hawaii!
    Teneriffe Enterprises- NW Indiana
    www.saradanielhaynes.com

I honestly can't recall if I've ever formally introduced myself here, but that may just be a middle-age brain fart. So here goes, everything (ha!) you wanted to know about rescuemom but were afraid to ask. I'm a 47 yr. old dressage rider who also likes to jump. I got back into horses at the beginning of my "mid-life crisis" at 40 by taking tons of lessons at a large local lesson barn, and then by also becoming involved with Days End Farm Horse Rescue http://www.defhr.org (hence the board name). My involvement with Days End consists of being a director, as well as volunteer work with the difficult horses, sort of an internet liaison, and whatever else needs doing.

My first horse, an OTTB, was adopted from Days End and I lost him way too young to colic. He was an awesome friend and I miss him still. My current horse is a "freebie" that Days End did not have room for because she was not in imminent danger. Ivy is a 12 yr. old Nat'l Show Horse, trained in dressage. She is sweet, smart, psycho, and came with the added surprise bonus of navicular syndrome. Prev. owner: "Oh, she's never been lame before!" http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif I have found a wonderful farrier and we are making progress. In addition to her other "attributes", Ivy is actually pretty talented at dressage.

I have a non-horsey SO of 23 years, as well as 3 cats, a rescued JRT, and another Dog of Indeterminate Breeding. As noted in another thread, I bite the heads off marshmallow peeps. I work for lawyers in Wash. DC to support my horse habit (and life in general). Oh, and I garden and knit in my *spare time*. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    ~Cris

[This message has been edited by rescuemom (edited 10-17-2000).]
    Proud adopter of Win
    http://www.defhr.org
    Days End Farm Horse Rescue
    Protection for Horses - Education for People

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jair:

Oh – and I belong to both the VA and CA/Westcoast cliques. (and the Canadian one as well if it exists [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ) Guess that makes me a man of many cliques!! LOL!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kennett Square, Jair is spreading himself pretty thin! Here I thought that he was pining away up there in the great north.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jair:
    Unfortunately I donÂ’t have a dog like some of you (although IÂ’d dearly love a German Shepherd!) but my partner has a big tabby cat that doesnÂ’t like me, which makes life interesting, and as a hobby I am currently in the process of starting an Aquarium. Which will be totally cool!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jair, first and foremost, youforgot the Nordies Shopping and Chocolate Consuming Clique, which might be the most important of all!

Second... please let us know if your partner's cat develops an affection for your aquarium [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RumoursFollow:
    I gave Brent (the infamous boyfriend) a picture of the ring that I want for my engagement ring<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank God - I thought I was the only won that did this. I also saw a ring at QH Congress Saturday that I liked, it was a measly (sp?) $10,400 - mere pocket change!!

My dear ETBWings! I am indeed pining away up here without you and Kennett Square, Inverness et al!

DMK - you've got that right about the Aquarium. Have to find a way to convince the cat that it actually belongs to his owner, so he won't dare touch it... yeah right. I'm sure that swimming fish aside, the fact that its mine will no doubt serve to encourage more feline related "accidental deaths" to happen!
    You Strike Me Still

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I'm sure that swimming fish aside, the fact that its mine will no doubt serve to encourage more feline related "accidental deaths" to happen! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Darn Tootin! Any cat worth its whiskers works under that theory! And tabby cats? They are the worst! I suggest adopting an air of insouciance about the fish. Pretend you put them there solely for the cat's pleasure, perhaps as a bribe to win affection. Offer him/her to sample fish in your presence. Tell the cat that fish are an excellent supplement to the diet. Might work... might not... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Since I myself am "owned" by a rather large, opinionated brown classic (that's a type of tabby to non cat types) Maine Coon, I feel I can speak with some authority on this matter [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Does anyone else here make a monthly mortgage payment on behalf of your cat? Because I can tell you that the corgi and I are NOT in charge of the household!

[This message has been edited by DMK (edited 10-17-2000).]
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

HI!!!! I'm obviously Maria and I'm a horseaholic and I too hope to someday pee in peace.

I am the mother of a wonderful almost 3 year old human daughter, one husband, one dog, one cat and one horse.

I too ride the dreaded dressage, but many many many moons ago I dabbled in hunters.

You all tickle the bejeezies out of me. I enjoy visiting and reading the insightful posts and about wet my computer screen, spewing diet coke on a regular basis laughing at you guys.

I've posted occasionally on COTH before but since Equisearch won't let some of us back in no matter what we do, I come over here periodically.

My name is Susan and I'm from Rochester, NY. I am one of the 'oldies' on the board, that is by age (54)not use. Am single, have my own farm and work a full time job. Somehow manage to make ends meet by burning the candle at each end and in the middle.

Have 2 horses, 1 retired 13yr old QH called Chocolate but a more descriptive name for him would be Dennis the Menace. The other horse, an ottb, is named Tiger Bay. T-Bay is 8, had evented to training level with a top notch trainer who was first in the selection trials for the '96 Olympics on my boys 1/2 brother but didn't make the Olympics due to injury. Since I ride alone and live alone I need a really kind horse and T-Bay really is. Only problem I have with him is that he is allergic to upstate NY. Have spent the entire summer working with my vet on various treatments and am now giving him allergy shots that will probably go on for almost 9 months. Hope it helps.

Also have 1 dog and 2 cats. Used to compete in H/J when I was much younger and even evented Preliminary in the 60's (they didn't have novice or training in those days-you started at Prelim). Have done an occasional stint in dressage but with the farm,job, and 4-legged critters, there is just no time for competition. Am a very willing volunteer at a few of our local horse trials and some dressage competitions.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!