The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Hi everyone...my name is Michelle, I'm 30, married, and I live just outside of Los Angeles. I just bought a new horse named Cypress...she is a dark bay w/no markings, 16.3 or 17 hands (I need to measure her just for curiosity sake), 10 years old, and a very sweet mare. I just sold my other horse, and he leaves at the end of this month.

I do the low A/A jumpers and the regular A/A jumpers at different places near LA (LAEC, Blenheim/Oaks, Showpark, Indio. I work as a civil engineer to pay for my habit, but I manage to escape for a day or two once every other month to go to a show. Anyway, I am hoping to have a fun and successful season with Cypress.

I have pics of me and my old horse at http://members.aol.com/dilberta99/tulie.html

Flash sorry to here about your son.
    Your post brought the image to me right away and I almost peed my pants as well lol.

Duffy . . !!!!! I am so sorry that I forgot to tell everyone that we are developing quite possibly the most posh, ritzy dog park ever. There WILL be a waiting list .......

Just you wait DAHHHHLING
    - - - - - -
    \"I found my inner bitch and ran with her.\" ~ Courtney Love

I'm Jo, known on E-search as Jo, but I don't go there anymore. I was never invited to join the porch, nor do the porchers speak to me (for some reason). Sniffle. HuntJumpSC and I share an E-bay addiction and won the same show shirt, the blue and white checkered one.

I'm a junior at a U in Austin, TX. In between classes and working, I manage to ride almost everyday of the week... mostly on my Thoroughbred mare... Don't reall show -- lack of competitve spirit and $$$$...

That was just a quick intro... Must get caught up on the new topics. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Hi! My REAL name is Sabra, Jaime is my oh-so wonderful 4yr old daughter. I own and run Keerymeade Stables in Elmira, NY. The facility has 40 stalls/indoor/55acres/lots of turnout yadayadayada...Since we just started here, I'm doing everything (stalls for 25,lessons,trying to ride mine-sales horses too) but do come in to chat when I need a break.

Too many horses to mention--Mandarin/babies/sales horses/lesson horses/broodmares/boarders etc.

Oh yeah, I have a BS (definately) in Biochem. and practiced mixology for 10 yrs - to put myself through college, and then to feed the few beasts that I had at that point.

I'm 19, I go to Wilson College in PA (sophmore), and I'm majoring in Equestrian Studies with a minor in English. They make me ride dressage here, which I would probably end up doing anyway since my trainer does it, but it's not my first choice. I do some jumping too, but it's not specific as to hunters or jumpers or equitation.

I started riding at age 9, and showing at 13. I leased an 18 y/o TB police reject named Nylar during high school, and did the local hunters and a little bit of the rated Childrens' with him. I just bought Dunn By Picasso (Dunn) in June with the help of my parents [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] He's 11 going on 5, but my trainer and I have full faith in him being a nice A/A or A/O hunter. We're going to stay at the local level for most of this season, but we're hoping to move up soon.

I also did TSEL and NCEL (junior versions of IHSA) and started as an Intermediate rider on Wilson's IHSA team, but had to quit when I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel and had to cut down on the amount of activity I was using my hand for. And I ride the brat ponies at our barn, along with just about everything else that comes in!

Pictures can be found here: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...9407&a=9396127

Alright, definately enough talking for one night!

Hey...

I'm in college at Clemson with ClemsonRider although I do not ride on the Equestrian Team this year. I'm a political science - communications double major.. and I take waayyyy too much French. LOL

I grew up in Gainesville, GA and rode there until I went to college 2 years ago. I grew up riding random horses and showing mostly in TN and the carolinas.. riding some jumpers and stuff for a woman who was nice enough to provide me with things to ride.. and various other people chipped in. I had my own junior hunter when I was 17 and a Childrens Jumper/Eq horse my last junior year.

Now that I'm in my sophomore year of college, I dont ride as much.. I'm hoping to get out of school and get married and then pick up riding like I did as a junior. Right now its pretty hard. I'm not engaged.. but you might as well say I am [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

My horse, Rumours Follow, lives in Bealeton, VA with my now trainer. My family has a house up there in Catlett, and I was living there working this summer and fell in love with zone 3 and its people so I'm hooked for life. I plan to work in DC and all when I graduate.

I show in the Adult Hunters (youngers) with Rumour, who, is the 2nd love of my life [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I bought him from the place I worked at this summer, and he's 6 and hadnt been to any rated shows when I got him. In fact his first rated show was Upperville. Which he was a saint at because he is truly the perfect amateur horse. Not that I'm biased [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I hope to move up and do the AOs in FL this coming year, but since my riding time is very limited.. I'm not sure if that will happen or not. Regardless, Rumie will do the 1st Years with a pro.

I'm absolutely addicted to the Chronicle, both here and on paper. I got hooked quite a few years ago and havent turned away since. I guess you could call me an addict, but I doubt I'm the only one http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/tongue.gif

Anyway, I have some pictures of Rumour and my other past horses.. if you'd like to see them... here's the address. http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...1572&a=8623571

[This message has been edited by RumoursFollow (edited 10-17-2000).]
    Teneriffe Enterprises- NW Indiana
    www.saradanielhaynes.com

[/B]Now that I'm in my sophomore year of college, I dont ride as much.. I'm hoping to get out of school and get married and then pick up riding like I did as a junior. Right now its pretty hard. I'm not engaged.. but you might as well say I am [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    ][/B][/QUOTE]

Ahhhh weddings!!! I'm addicted! My roomate this summer got me started...we always bought wedding magazines...Martha Stewart Wedding and Southern Living Wedding were the BEST!! I've got everything for my wedding picked out...except the man!!!! Can anyone give me a little help on this one?!?
    "Owning a barnyard animal is not as easy as it looks on the internet."-Rob and Big

I am 32 (but pass for 22!) and have been riding since I was 8. I don't know why, but every horse I've ever owned has been a chestnut.

My current beasts are:

Abricot V: chestnut, 15.3 hh, 12 yo Anglo-Arab. He's NUTS, but I love him.

Héros de Boutron : chestnut, 17.3 hh, 5 yo Selle Francais. Best horse I've ever owned.

Both are French, but Héros has an American (!) grandfather (Count Ivor)

I also have two chihuahuas, one of which I found in a dumpster (beaten and burned with cigarettes) in Vermont. I gave him a home, ten years ago, and bought him a girlfriend (who also happens to be chestnut colored. Good grief) and now he's the happiest thing on four legs.

I show in the highest amateur level in France (3rd category --- hence the BB name "3ème") and hope to move up to compete against the pro's (2ème categorie) next year. Héros was meant to be my future pro-level Grand Prix horse, but my new coach doesn't think he's right for me. Too bad, because I love him AND he's an original "point and kick" push-botton EASY ride, even at 5! Sadly, I'm going to have to sell him and find a new one [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] . Hence my posts where I bitch about trainers and horse shopping!

Since hunters are pretty pathetic over here, I do only jumpers now. As a junior in the States, I did Children's and then Junior Hunters on my (chestnut) horses. I rode other people's horse when I could. Most of them chestnuts. I loved hunters, and hated the eq's.

I graduated from Smith College (did IHSA, but didn't take it seriously) and then Wharton. I now work as a financial analyst in the real estate sector, here in the city of lights, where I've been for five years, HATING my job (this BB is a God-send!). My dream? To give it up, one day, and become a groom / rider.... oh yes, and to one day maybe own a bay (or grey?) horse ... *sigh*

Other interests? Not many (no time!). But I do love writing short stories and silly essays. And I picked up a nasty habit of knitting sweaters, at Smith.

Hi I'm Kryswyn, I live in VA, am sometimes considered part of the VA Clique, but, personally I don't think I qualify, since I don't even have a horse anymore!

I'm over 40 (just a bit) and did horses seriously for almost 30 years of my life. Now I'm using my horse knowledge working in VA's finest tack shop...trying to prevent people from making horrible fashion faux paux and buying equipment they don't need, ("NO NO don't buy a double twisted wire! Try teaching a voice command 'whoa' to back your horse off") while educating them on the fine points of Thermatex fabric for horse, dog and human. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I also breed, train and show JACK RUSSELL TERRIERS . We (the dogs and I) just got back from our National trial (1261 JRTs!) where we did REALLY WELL. Kryswyn Siren is the best 9-12 month old smooth bitch puppy in the country!!! Woooo Hoooo! Tawberrie's puppy, Kryswyn Blizzard was National Puppy Top Gun Champion! (4.55 seconds over a 200 foot course) Kryswyn Ivy took a 3d & 6th in Racing and Faithful Impulse was 7th of 39 in Suitability to Racoon/Badger.

(Think of it as winning a huge o/f class, getting good ribbons and a call back at the (old) National Horse Show [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img])
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

I can't remember whether I've already done this here but will go for again just in case.

Hello, I'm Simon and I'm a Horseaholic. I live in Manchester, England and am 36 years young (37 on 18/10, ooh that's tomorrow ain't it). I work in software suppport, supporting various health applications.

I am married with a 16 year old daughter. My main interest is hunting. Over the winter I will hunt as much as my horse, Ella, is able. Over summer I show, and judge, in working hunters. My wife hunts as well although she does not have the bug as bad as me. During the summer months she shows working and ridden hunters. Our daughter is a disappointment, she doesn't like hunting!!, but will show horses til the cows come home. She competes very succesfully ridden and in-hand.

We currently only have two horses, three as of 27/10. Ella, 9yo CB x mare, Father Dougal 7yo ID x, and soon Jake 4yo Welsh x.

For more information and pictures http://www.horses.bigwig.net

Greetings to all the new comers. It is ironic that this thread is up this morning, as just last night, Duffy and I were discussing the "Invasion of Equisearch." Needless to say, it is great to have more people to chat with!!

I am a ripe 22, work in PR for a livestock marketing company that is a division of SOuthern States. Basically, I lease out bulls (stop laughing!!).

I grew up in Clarke COunty, VA - just west of "the Burg." I have shown forever. I was a Pony CLub drop out at age 7 - I hated all the rules and wasn't big on eventing anyhow. I graduated from Virginia Tech in May with a BS in COmmunications and minor in Equine Science. I did the IHSA thing, but never did too hot, as I am NOT an equitation queen.

I show in the Adults on a super nice horse (talent wise) - but he has some major attitude issues (behavior wise)!! All in all, I have had fun showing him this year. He has provided me with a bunch of championshp ribbons to hang in my office. I also show cattle on the side (again - don't laugh!!)

Again - welcome everyone - this is the best place to make friends and to fill the time between 8-5!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Well - I feel like I should post something about myself since I post on the BB occasionally (it seems only fair - since now I know about you guys):

Let's see, my name is Carie (Clive is my bay TB 5 yr old gelding of rather large size - that's a joke if you know him). I'm a computer programmer geek by day, and while I've been doing the jumpers these past few years, I did hunters locally around northern VA as a junior.

Hmmm, let's see - I just moved my horse to Clifton last month after leaving my trainer of many years. Taking it easy these days and trying to figure out what I want to do with my horse going forward. Thinking about venturing back into hunters for a year before letting Clive loose in the jumpers.

I've really enjoyed the BB - especially all the helpful responses to some of my questions.

I missed the Mosby's night, but I'm looking forward to making the *next?* one (hint hint).

[This message has been edited by Clive's Mom (edited 10-17-2000).]

Wow, this is really fun...almost like putting faces to names.

In the real world my name is LJ. I'm 39 and live in Toronto, Ontario somewhere near LCR Scott and heidi should they decide to 'fess up.

I have ridden all my life - got my first pony when I was 6 and had the best time with her. All of my "firsts" hacking, swimming, jumping, volteige, showing, falling into snow banks, playing cowboys - we shared all those wonderful things together.

I'm one of the hundreds of old Eglinton Equestrian Club alumni's dotting the Ontario landscape and an ex-Prince Phillip Cup Gamer for the old EEC Pony Club.

(I'll still take on all comers - I'm wicked with a spoon and an egg!)

I've had more than my share of wonderful, talented four legged friends over the years. Have won many classes and blown just as many.
    I showed hunters, switched to jumpers, tried eventing realised I was out of my mind switched again to jumpers, back to hunters and finally discovered that I don't need to show anymore to validate my existence - I can use pros to show my babies. Novel concept.

Have loved every minute of my friendship with horses.

I have 2 sons, one of whom rides. They are, in my unbiased opinion, the best kids in the world. I'm truly blessed. Hubby is terrific and spends just as much time at the barn as I do, even though he's terrified of horses but puts on a brave front when doling out the apples and carrots.

OOps! Amost forgot the critters. One standard Poodle (world's most perfect dog) named Terra,
    2 identical white shedding machine cats, Mr. Bigglesworth and Scarface, 4 goldfish and one gigantic Black Molly named...Molly.

I'm head zookeeper for the Equestrian Management Group discussion boards, at www.equiman.com and love to come here to "play" - no responsibilites! I also work in advertising for a big agency and when I have any free time I sleep.

Nice to meet you all!

[This message has been edited by Canter (edited 10-17-2000).]

Although I have make my oppinion known once or twice, I too am an e-search defector.

I am a transplanted Canadian by way of Oklahoma to Pennsylvania, what a change eh? sorry coulnt' resist.

My new TB gelding has turned 5. He is a dark bay with small star/snip and ring around his coronet and stands at 16.2. I started his show career this year and hope to breeze through the hunters(for the experience) to my ultimate goal the Jumpers. But we will see how he does. My barn mates take great pride in calling him a "Hunter" and then they giggle themselves silly.

I have a husband and a lab/border collie mix, and between the two of them I don't know which one is more needy..LOL but I love them both to death.

I am a semi-retired standard bred farrier, now I do my own and some others just to keep my feet wet. Actually that is how I met my husband. Shoeing horses in OK, he was amazed at a women doing that kind of work. I asked him where he got HIS truck, out of a cracker jack box? It was love.

Now I help out in a tack shop, and ride everyday I can. I have big goals for this new horse and he shows potential.

I have enjoyed talking and getting to know people on these boards and hope to get a chance to meet some of you.

MAJOR CONGRATS, Kryswyn on your JRT's fabulous showings at Nationals!!!! I've met Siren and she is absolutely gorgeous!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Pepper thought so too!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

Wow, welcome everybody! No wonder there have been soo many new threads over the weekend -- I've been going nuts trying to catch up!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I like it!!

I'm an adult amateur & ride at a hunter/jumper sales barn. I don't do many rated shows, but do some local showing occasionally & I organize the schooling shows that we have at our barn two or three times a year.

Glad to meet everyone -- and thanks for coming to our board!!
    \"If you feel you had a bad ride, how do you think your horse feels?\"

Well, I've skipped a bunch of these, so I guess I should jump in. My name is Heather, I'm 27, and I live in Northern Virginia. I moved here 5 years a go from Northern California, where my heart still resides. I started out at three riding barrel horses and cutters, and when I was 10 decided I wanted to jump. I went to an English barn recommended by my western trainer, and thus discovered the wonderful sport of eventing which has been my obsession ever since. I also enjoy straight dressage, and have dabbled in periods as a DQ when an eventer of mine decided he needed a vaction from jumping.

I'm married to a fellow horseperson, and between us we have 5 of the beasties--though one is already in semi-reitrememnt and my sister-in-laws farm, and another is about to head to the retirement field, so we may actually be on the market for a new pony soon--heaven help us. In the interim we are sharing riding duties on my horse Merlin, who is a 9 year old 17.3h TB gelding we got off the meat truck for free. He has "issues" but is incredibly talented. We also are in the process of training our homebred 2-year-old TB Shawn, and will start him under saddle next year (lightly, of course!). Our two reitrees are Shawn's mother Ariel, who is enjoying her duties as a trail horse in Vermont (she became unable to concieve again after having Shawn), and a TB gelding called Jake, who has a long, sad story too lengthy to discuss here--but suffice it to say that thanks to the abuse he suffered as a race horse, at nine years old he is too mentally and physically damaged to be safely ridden--so we are going to let him live out his days as an ornamanet and hopefully give him the peace he so desperately deserves. Finally, we have a black and white paint mini with a blue eye called Munchkin, who is, IMHO, the cutest pony in the world.

I have a degree in Communications, and currently work for an environmental consulting firm--but hate both my job and my boss, so am currently "re-evaluating"--looking for a new job but also considering going back to school for my Masters. I have worked previously as a writer, and when I thought I wanted a horse career, was assistant director of a children's riding program.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Oh my, I do not believe I have had the opportunity to introduce myself... First, I'm in the wilds of Alpharetta, which, at least from a horse showing perspective is a little remote, compared to South Florida, where I previously lived...

Well, let's see, I, like Flash have been called quite a few things, and since we don't want to test Erin's "delete" reflexes, I guess we won't repeat 'em here [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

As for age, I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you, and that could get messy. Suffice to say, I showed in the A/A hunters up to last year, and got to be in the infamous "middle" or "more mature" adults. Sadly, I recently moved up to the A/O's where I am just plain referred to as "older" (P.S. - anyone attending the AHSA convention, PLEASE support the proposed rule to split the Older A/Os so once again, I can reclaim the "middle" ground!!!)

As for careers, I am currently dot.comming it in an online insurance company, after years of working in probably every aspect of health care insurance you can imagine (not that I think anyone has spent one nanosecond of their life thinking about health insurance careers). All this came after years of managing a surgical/post op facility for racehorses, and majoring in international relations and math. (Oh,yea, I can see you are all really following that career path!)

Now, on to the important things in life... the beasties... 5 to be exact... well not exactly - one is a 30 year old QH mare I "gave" to a family about 9 years ago - I don't think she is ever coming home again, but she is still part of the family. Then come the 2 ponies - Rebel & Princess, who live in glorious retirement at ages 20 and 26 , respectively. Rebel can give Louise's Stormy a run for his money in his ability to cause trouble, and we have agreed for the safety of mankind, those 2 shall never meet.
    Finally, my 2 TBs, both off the track. One is my old man, Raven, who guided me through many years at the A/A's, and is the most mannerly, affectionate horse I've met. Last, but not least, is Robbie, my 8 yr old current show horse who I got off the track 5 years ago. We moved up to the 1st years and A/Os this year, and I have to say, he is one of the nicest horses I have ever jumped (and I would say that even if I wasn't the one who trained him [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ).

A pleasure t'meetch y'all! (as we say in the South)
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Toronto, a city that\'s not won a Stanley Cup in my damned lifetime

Hello all! My name is, my name is, my name is...not Slim Shady. Excuse the indulgence, I love to wander around the house singing that, usually to the embarassment of my daughter ("mother you're old, don't sing that!"), accompanied by my three year old, who is aglow because he believe his mother is neat.

I'm on the verge of 35, developed paralyzing fear of riding but discovered that owning horses (feet are always on ground) is much safer than riding 'em. My dear husband does continue to ride as does our aforementioned embarassed daughter. The three year old has sat and walked on a GP horse - typically to his dissapointment as he envisions himself a younger and cuter Ian Millar and wants to jump swedish oxers. Also have a disinterested 8 year old son who has concluded that he can go faster on his bike. I've already outed our lab puppy as a horse poo muncher so I'll stop embarassing him in public. He is getting 'gelded' tomorrow, to add to his embarassment.

Worked for many years in the Cdn. television industry, owned an animation company, travelled too much and have been enjoying my latest incarnation as a stay-at-home mother. I do have a recurring dream, however, of one day peeing in peace.

I am very passionate about the not-quite-gelled plan of establishing a riding program/foundation for kids-at-risk and talented, but financially strapped, juniors. Those interested should check out the kids at risk thread on this board.

For the most part these days, I write, I kvetch, contemplate buying myself a large pony to ride, I harass my children into doing their homework, chase animals, cook, run back and forth to doctors' offices (with the occasional stopover in an ER room), muse that we should move to Ireland, change my mind immediately, and clamp my eyes everytime my daughter jumps ANYTHING. And oh yes, I stop by this board (and EMG's, Canter I would never defect) several times a day and smile (usually, although sometimes I crrringe) - it's wonderful that technology has enabled so many of us, worldwide, from disparate and varied backgrounds and life contexts, to communicate and share ideas, thoughts and information. Cheers to you all!