The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Trainers Year Round in Aiken

I'm looking to be a working student in either Aiken or Ocala this coming fall, hoping for at least a 6 month commitment maybe longer. Looking into being a working student at Full Gallop, but wondering what trainers are available in the area or at Full Gallop and any views on them. Thanks in advance!

Lynn Coates-Holmes is in Aiken year round. She's at Rumor Has It in Williston just outside of Aiken. I'm having a great time riding with her and I know she accepts working students. We've got a large group from Charleston now riding with her regularly. http://www.lcheventing.com/

I second Lynn Coates-Holmes! I love her teaching style. Plus she's a good person which is hard to find these days in the horse industry.

Leslie Ward right down the road from Full Gallop at Paradise Farm. Awesome instructor.

Jennifer

From OP: Thanks for the replies. Has anyone worked with Simon Eades?

Simon is incredible. There is no one I'd rather ride with. He helped me get to places I had only dreamed of going, and is straight up a great horseman & savvy trainer of humans, too.

I don't know about the working student situation right now, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Mlissa Campbell at Stable on the Woods (or something close to that) is looking for a working student. She's great.

Default Simon Eades

I recommend Simon. He is a great horseman, very old school and correct. You will improve under his instruction but you can't be thin skinned. Don't expect your ego to to be fed by him. The good thing is that the rare compliment is genuine and WELL DESERVED! He is tough - but has a sincere interest in the success of his students at any level. He took my friend to the FEI/4* level. She trained with the US team - worked with the best coaches in the US and Europe. She considers Simon one of the 2 best coaches she has ever worked with. Good Luck!

Simon is absolutely wonderful. Wonderful trainer and barn where horses are the top priority. Of all the teachers I have ever had (school, college, horses, etc.), he is the best by far.

Default Trainers Year Round in Aiken

Lellie Ward at Paradise Farm has the most experience of the permanent riders in Aiken. She has ridden three different horses around Rolex 4 times and trains all sorts. Paradise farm is a complete training facility. No stone will be unturned if you train there.Check out her website www.paradisefarmaiken.com