The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So Ideas? Need a bit of help

Hi

So I am currently getting vet treatment on my weanling and it isn't looking great. I've battled diarrhea won then lost again (it is now getting slowly better). She was over drinking but has now started to appear to drink normally.

Our next step is urine analysis a sample of which she wouldn't provide when the vet was out. Guess who is standing behind a young mare with gloves (on) and a old cooking pot.

Any way if you could offer any advise on Kidney issues or Intestine absorption issues it would be appreciated.

Blood test results were as follows

Low Sodium
    Low Chloride
    High Potassium
    High Fat I think he called it Hyperlipidemia.
    Low Total Protein
    Low Red Cell count

Horse is fed a commercial feed slightly higher than recommended due to body condition & grass hay with a little Alfalfa. Until I know more from the vet I won't be changing the feed yet except to add Electrolytes.

Thanks again all advise appreciated.

No advice, but sending prayers, jingles and good wishes to your little one to get well soon.

Thanks very nice of you.

Sending good thoughts that your weanling improves.

I was wondering if your vet did a fecal -- diarrhea (which messes up the electrolyte balance), hyperlipidemia, low protein levels all associated with worms. Low hematocrit -- possible anemia? High potassium could just be based on the collection method (too long between collection and testing, causing leakage of potassium from cells.)

I'm just shooting in the dark here.

Again, the best of luck to you.
    Nothing with horses is ever easy or cheap. And if it is, you're doing it wrong. They always rip out part of your soul when they leave. I guess that's how they find us later.

No advice either - just hoping for a good outcome!!
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

Poor baby! Thoughts and prayers headed your way.

Thanks for the good wishes it is appreciated. A fecal hasn't been done yet but she has been wormed regularily in some ways I am hoping to avoid fecal testing as two different vets have advised that the findings on thoses tests are very miss in the results. However thanks I will ask about worms as nothing should be dismissed.

The good news is she looks like she is getting better but the results of the bloods is far from great.

What makes you think the horse has "kidney issues"? That bunch of abnormals from what I'm guessing is a panel of tests does not say very much to me (but I'm not a vet). What, exactly, are the filly's symptoms, signs, or working diagnosis? Good luck, but it sounds like a bit of a mystery the way you're presenting the case.
    Click here before you buy.

deltawave thanks for your help.

Default JINGLES & AO ~

Jingles & AO for your weanling ``

Perhaps a second opinion = second set of 'eyes' and 'ideas' ````

Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Have been away but thanks for the good wishes every one prior and Zu Zu. I was hoping someone may have been through this and had an outcome good or bad. The good news is that with the electrolytes her drinking has decreased from approx 54lts (& more) to yesterday highlight 36ltrs and Fridays 40lts (if I had it Friday Night I would have cracked champagne I settled for duty free vodka and felt it). Also with the reduced drinking she has put on weight. The bad news is that I haven't been able to get the urine sample she simple is too interested in me being next to her to pee the little dear.

Zu Zu yes there will be second opinions and third opinions and alot of ground work before I give up on her she really is a nice little girl.

So it is now down to Diabetes insipidus or over drinking. I am very upset as I feel that it is my fault just I am not sure how anything could have been done differently. Anyway she is off to the clinical vets (even if I have to carry her lol) for Witholding of Water treatment (which is done very carefully) to determine which it is. I really hope her water drinking is just boredom not the other.

Some of those lab values could be skewed by over-hydration, which I'm sure your vet is quite aware of.

I usually keep a packet or two of Re-sorb on hand "just in case". It's an awesome calf electrolyte product - I've seen it bring sick calves back from almost dead. It's fine for horses, and on the rare occasion I've had to use it I've noticed a quick improvement.

Thumbs up

I don't see how any of this could be YOUR fault!!! Your doing a great job!!!!

Have you looked into something like Bio-sponge?

Can't hurt, might help, but just make sure the vet knows you're giving it just in case.

In addition to the FEC suggestion (it DOES have value, yes, you might have a false negative, but you'll never have a false positive ) has your vet done any culture on the manure?

Thanks for readining. JB she is on protextin and has been for a while which from what I read is similar to Bio sponge. The diarrhea is stopped again and it is a bit like chicken and egg the over drinking can actually cause this so it is hard to work out which one started which (make sense). No fecal hasn't been done the urine test was the one that crossed off allot of potential issues. The lab tests are skewed due to the over drinking so the issue is to deterime why she over drinks. Odd not to be happy that kidney tests came back positive.

btw that is reading can't seem to go back and fix

Jingles to your wee one.
    Hoping that the excess drinking is boredom.
    Hoping to hear of a great outcome.
    Hoping you'll keep us posted about your journey with this one.

Yeah the tests have come back and her kidneys can concentrate the urine so it is over drinking. I have never been so happy for a horse to have a "bad habit" as the alternative was not a good outcome.

It is believed the over drinking started as a result of the diarrhoea which we think could have been caused by being lactose intolerant.

Now to find a suitable AA program ... just kidding ... we actually need to slowly decrease the amount of water available. And a fecal is being done.

Where is a weanling getting lactose?
    Click here before you buy.