The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Whats in your Smartpak?

Browsing through their catalog yesterday, and just baffled by all the products out there! So what are your favorites and why? Do you really notice a difference in joint issues, hooves, etc...?

I get SmartGut for my mare who is prone to ulcers. That's it. I do it in SmartPaks only because of the convenience and free shipping. I also like that I can add things before my order comes (like wormer) and its delivered all at the same time. Saves me a trip to the local TSC, where the prices were actually higher than SmartPaks.

I think oral joint supplements are junk...I'd rather spend my money on maintenance injections (when applicable) so I know exactly where my money is going.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Smart Calm Ultra for my gelding, SmartBreathe for my heavey pny mare, and SmartFlex Senior for my two senior mares. I also get my dogs' Cosequin from Smartpak. I LOVE that place.....only i buy the supplements in buckets. I think it is worth the savings to pull a scoop out of the bucket every morning, rather than have it all prepackaged.

Some things are actually cheaper in SmartPaks...

My mare was on Neighlox - we did the cost comparison between 1 scoop AM & PM in SmartPak's and it was SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than if I were to buy the bucket, even at cheaper places such as ValleyVet.com.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

My horse gets Cool Calories and SmartDigest while we are trying to get him to gain weight, Buggzo for the summer bug season, and U-Gard and MSM all the time. I can't wait 'til fall when I can drop him down to JUST the U-Gard and MSM!

SmartMSM pellets and SmartLyte pellets. My horse also gets MagRestore which does not come in Smartpaks.

SmartDigest Ultra- I honestly don't know if it makes a difference. I've fed it since day one with him because I've fed it for quite awhile to any horse that was off to shows a lot. I debate taking him off of it but this is one of those "old habits die hard" type occasions.

SmartMSM pellets- He's only been on this for about 6 weeks, and it is for his VERY sensitive skin, not for his joints. He's been doing well (touch wood), but I don't know if it is this, the fact that he gets Zytrec daily (yep), or that I've been stupidly careful with him (and we haven't had any rain!).

Clitheroe's Garlic- Not for flies but for ticks, and I DO see a difference with that. He gets it year round (another old habit, but this one I at least know makes a difference). Supposedly has other health benefits, but I am skeptical. It does keep ticks away, and I'm good with that.

I'll add an electrolyte in a few more weeks...though, at 85 degrees today, I feel like he needs it already!

Believe it or not, I am fairly anti-supplement. I got into the digestion aids a few years ago when I had a little mare who ended up in the hospital twice with colics (thankfully, neither were surgical!), and we finally got clued in that maybe it was ulcers. That and the garlic are two things I tend to feed no matter what. I've seen good results with Cosequin ASU and with Farrier's Formula. Adding Omega 3s in some form has helped both this horse and my former horse, who also had skin issues. But I tend to only use what I really feel they actually NEED (bad feet, joint issues, Omega 3s for skin issues)....other than my paranoia with digestion aids and the garlic Otherwise, I try to cover my basis with good feed and forage.

My mare gets :

SmartCalm (this is wonderful stuff)
    Smart Senior
    Smart Omega
    Smart Hoof
    and also a pelleted electrolyte - I don't remember which one.

I board, and it's the easiest way to make sure she gets what she needs every day.

NADA! Nada believer in supplements, generally speaking.
    Click here before you buy.

Way too much....

The performance horses all get

SmartGut
    Smart Omega3
    electrolytes

Harder keepers also get

Tri-amino

and three also get MSM.

I'm trying SmartBug off with one to see if it helps with knats....she reacts to them badly.

Smartpaks are really so easy for someone like me that has multiple horses in mulitple states! Plus it keeps me out of the tack store a bit more which is a good thing!
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Apr. 16, 2012 at 03:41 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Grand Hoof with MSM. I am happy with it, great coat coming in this spring, and it has seemed to help my mare's hoof issues.

I think I will start on one of the multi vits as I have pulled my horse off of ration balancer in favor of alflafa pellets, rice bran and flax seed.

I won't buy smartpaks again, I am going back to buckets. I bought the smartpaks to take advantage of a sale, but really do not like them for feeding just one horse. I reuse the buckets around the barn and my house. The smartpaks mean I have extra trash to cart back from the barn and recycle... or throw in the trash.

SmartFlex Resilience, SmartOmega 3, SmartGut, and SmartBug-Off.

Smartpaks are really so easy for someone like me that has multiple horses in mulitple states! Plus it keeps me out of the tack store a bit more which is a good thing!
    I DO like that my old guy can get his Tractguard (because I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be able to get it where he lives!), and it is very easy for his carekeeper to give him (carekeeper being my mother!). It is very easy, and I can easily add on little treats and goodies and things.

Of course, Smartpak might keep me out of the tack shop, but it doesn't stop me from shopping! I am CONSTANTLY adding things to my order!!!

MSM and Apple a Day.

I've been perusing the anti-bug supps--I might just take YB's pick of Clitheroe's Garlic for his next order.
    http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
    R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.

My old guy is on SmartSenior. My Haflinger is on Cosequin ASU. My young tb is on Cosequin ASU, Gleam and Gain 60 and SmartBugOff. I had the Haffie and the young tb on Cosequin SP and switched them to the ASU and notice a big difference. A few of my boarders are also on the ASU and a few use SmartShine Ultra.We had a young horse on SmartCalm Ultra and it seemed to help with muscle tension.

SmartGut, SmartHoof, DMG and SmartFlex I.
    The SmartHoof is one I feel good about the results, it's definitely helped his feet. SmartGut I feel like it has, he's much happier and bubblier. The DMG, eh, maybe, SmartFlex I, I feel like it has, but maybe not.

Both boys are on Smartshine Ultra and Smartgut.

My younger boy needs weight so I am trying Smart Gain he also has a lesion on 1 of his tendons down in the pastern so I am giving Smart tendon a shot.

The 2 are great and have made a difference.
    The smartgain I am not sure since although he has gained weight since starting it he has also gotten his teeth done which the dentist said were horrendous. ( I just bought him last summer )

The Smart tendon we will see at his ultrasound appt end of May.

SmartMSM pellets and SmartTendon pellets. I'm considering adding in SmartGut for him as well.

My 15yo TB gets Hylamotion in his Smartpak. I disagree with whoever said oral supplements were junk- my guy started coming out stiff in the front knees one spring (he gets winter off), but after starting the Hylamotion, those issues stopped. It has been two years and it's still working just fine.

My 4yo TB gets Double Strength Farrier's Formula, which has definitely helped his iffy hooves. He was on Gleam & Gain 60, but I did not notice any difference whatsoever in weight or coat and took him off of it. He is doing much better with just a better feed. He was also on the Smartpak mass or muscle whatever supplement, but I didn't notice any difference.

I, too, consistently add to my Smartpak orders.

My mare is severely laminitic and reacts to just about everything. Smartpak is great about giving NSC values and more.

- Cool Calories (she's always underweight because she can really only have alfalfa cubes and no-molasses beet pulp; CC keeps her from looking like a rescue horse)

- SmartVite EZ keeper (she's not an easy keeper, but it has low NSC and has all her vit/mins since she can't have complete grain; this one also is good for laminitic horses with the supps in it)

- SmartBug Off (she's sensitive to dewormer, and garlic + diatoms keeps her worm count low between wormings)

I've been with Smartpak since the beginning! Love it!