The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question best hand held economic video camera for horse shows?

I wanted to buy a small camera to take with me to the horse shows. I want a camera that is small, easy to use, not super pricey and able to transfer easy to YouTube.

What are the best video cameras for that? Also, would a regular camera have the ability to take short videos as well with comparable video quality?

I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I like my FLIP video camera..

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by Samotis View Post
    I wanted to buy a small camera to take with me to the horse shows. I want a camera that is small, easy to use, not super pricey and able to transfer easy to YouTube.

What are the best video cameras for that? Also, would a regular camera have the ability to take short videos as well with comparable video quality?
    Sony Bloggie Live HD allows you to upload straight to YouTube from the camera on a WiFi connection but the Sony Bloggie Sport would probably be ideal for you since it's ruggedized and more durable.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

however handy and small, do invest in at least a monopod for ease of shooting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I kind of hate flips. They are too small to hold easily, you really need to have a viewfinder - just the screen is VERY hard to see depending on lighting - and they don't adjust well to different light.

I have a flip. I would never buy one, though. It was a gift, from someone who I had told not to buy me one a year earlier, and said I would rather buy myself a camera than be given one. I will be buying one which actually is zoomable and with which you can see what you're shooting with the sun at your back (as you should be positioning yourself to shoot.)
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

most people these days just use tablets to shoot video- the ipad and its knockoffs. They generally produce much better video than the Flips, you can watch it immediately, and of course upload/email it to wherever- you can edit it and put it on youtube ringside before the class even pins. And since it's a tablet, it has multiple other functions.

Get something that you can put on a tripod. My videos with a handheld are wobbly, the tripod or monopod is the bomb.
    http://youtu.be/D_krLHp3aBA with the tripod and a decent video camera

without the tripod with a Kodak EasyShare camera. The video quality sort of stink but it is primarily a point and shoot...http://youtu.be/l0W1XX7YO2k

Samotis is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Ok, well I have an I phone 4, and I pad and a flip video thingy!

My boyfriend one the flip had 3 but I haven't tried to use it yet.

So I can actually take a good video from my iPad with the video app and it will post to you tube?

I am terrible with that. It seems that the flip will connect to I pad too.

So seems I have some cameras that will already work.

Would my I phone work as well as the I pad?

I just want someone to video me riding my homebred at his first hunter show over fences in August.

Thanks for helping

I have a flip and LOVE it - gives me great videos and I love how easy it is to upload. Maybe someday I will have an iPhone that can do more fancy things, but for now my flip works great!

Another vote for a Flip. It's super small and easy to use. I can hand it to even the most un-technologically savvy person who might be standing around when I want someone to video me and they can figure out how to use it. Then I just hook it to my laptop and can upload the video straight to my computer or to YouTube. Mine is high definition and has a pretty good zoom on it. Definitely recommend the tripod if you plan to use it a lot and want really steady video (especially on the zoom!).
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

I've got a Flip somewhere...took some decent movies..but a pain in the butt to hold, same with tablets and any modern video camera without a support.

As suggested earlier, get a monopod tall enough for you to stand up without leaning over, much more comfy to use and the video will be so much less like you have a palsy of some sort. Then practice shooting before you actually need to use the camera.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

For me only the flip.. Another good thing is that anybody can shopt videos with it. So if you need a fast video, any person close to you can do it...
    Owned proudly by my horses and the Pony
    Blacky by Sandro Hit, Amica by Amidou,
    Sarasota (Princess) by Don Schufro and Daysie by Sandro Hit
    and last not least Kassandra GRP by Burstye Orpheus

I made the mistake of buying a video camera years ago. I have regretted it ever since. Now I just use my regular camera for all photos and video and will continue to do that. The videos from my regular camera are way better than the ones on the video camera, plus the memory card in the regular camera is way easier to use than the memory in the stupid video camera since I needed a cord to plug it into my computer. Plus I bought a sony camera because it was on sale, not realising that I couldn't get videos from a sony camera into my mac computer. Also, I do not have one friend with a PC so my clinic videos and show videos are trapped in the stupid thing. Lesson learned.