The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How long do you wait to call the vet???

I get home from work today only to find that two of my three horses had busted through my fence (electric rope.) My mother rounded them up and put them in another pen but now my mare is limping.

There is a very small lacerations and small lump on the very top of her leg close to her shoulder which I probably would not have noticed had she not been limping prompting a thorough once over. When I brought them up to the barn this afternoon she cantered with the rest of the horses and I didn't notice anything unusual. When I went to feed several hours later I noticed she was walking gingerly in the stall. Took her out and walked her around. She was not wanting to lift the leg and appeared to drag it as she walked.

She does not appear to be sore to the touch. I gave her asprin the evening and did not lock her in her stall but separated her from the others. I thought it would be better for her to move around if it is muscle soreness. Just checked on her and the asprin seemed to help a little but she is still limping. I will give her bute in the morning to and see how she does.

Vet is already coming thursday to float her teeth if she does not worsen would you wait or go ahead and call the vet????

I'd get the vet out with an xray machine.

Lameness associated with a wound is not worth waiting on.... I'd have the vet out tomorrow.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

I am in Manteo/Wanchese and generally use Karen Bullock out of farmville when our horse is at the trainer (Tarboro) or Coastal Equine out of Virginia when our horses are home. Do you mind my asking who you use.

Ditto. Hope shes ok!
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Sorry yall that question about a vet was directed to Farmgirl598, who is in my neck of the woods.

Look sorry given that I have never heard of aspirin being given to a horse I would suggest you get a vet out.

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by lolita1 View Post
    Look sorry given that I have never heard of aspirin being given to a horse I would suggest you get a vet out.

Best of luck.
    Not regular asprin but horse asprin powder. It takes the edge off but will not really mask the pain like bute. I didn't want to mask the pain and have her hurt herself worse by doing more than she should on it.

I am calling the vet this morning. Thanks All!

Sorry to push this again (not really me) but when did horse asprin occur it is a long time since I have reached for any thing that wasn't called bute.

Here is one kind of aspirin powder for horses...
    http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...90&gas=aspirin for horses

OP hope your horse is ok
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

I believe horse aspirin predates bute-- it just isn't used much because bute is more effective.

Do we have an update on the horsey??
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

Quote Originally Posted by Tehzebra View Post
    Do we have an update on the horsey??
    Thanks yall! Horse is fine. Vet talked through it and said wait til regularly scheduled visit. By time vet was there to float teeth she was not limping any more. She is back to running everywhere she goes.

Generally she is not a drama queen but she frightened me to death she was limping so badly.

As to the asprin powder my vet recommends it some times for little things because it is not a strong as bute but does help ease some discomfort. Aniprin powder is what it is actually named on the jar. I prefer bute as it is easier to use paste than trying to get my picky ones to eat the powder. Just happens that this mare will eat anything if you put enough molasses on it.

My horse did this exact thing, sort of! Cracked vinyl fencing trying to eat a blade of grass on the other side. It shattered and poked him in the shoulder. He had a tiny little wound which I cleaned vigourously and medicated. The next day, he was dragging the leg. I had the vet out who advised me to ice it (and I think gave him antibiotics) and he was fine a day or two later. Scary though!
    Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse. Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword, O, Horse!
    Anonymous Bedouin legend