The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Senior Feeds

If I get the mare, I want to put her on a senior feed. She is currently on 10% Sweet Pellet.

I know that the feed store I used to go to carries Seminole Feeds. And then we have TSC.

Opinions/Recommendations, please!
    I walk into the barn and hear her soothing nicker, feel her soft muzzle against my cheek, her warm breath on my skin, and it is at that moment I realize there is no where else I would rather be.

I generally make my own. Saves dollars and they love it.

But if you are looking for meals on wheels (purchase premade in 50lbs bags, drive home and feed) I have had the best success from Purina Equine Sr.

You can still go online and take the quiz for coupons and big savings.

I've not used it, but several on here really like Seminole, and it's probably better than what you're going to find at TSC.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I really like TC Senior.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

D. Taylor, how do you make your senior feed? Curious, as I like to know what is in the products...

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    I've not used it, but several on here really like Seminole, and it's probably better than what you're going to find at TSC.
    This. I do think the Seminole Sr is a better feed than Nutrena Sr.

If you can get Triple Crown, that would be even better - lower in sugars than Seminole.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnycher View Post
    D. Taylor, how do you make your senior feed? Curious, as I like to know what is in the products...
    That depends on the horse and what its specific aging needs are. But nutshell, you can crockpot (slow cooker and on a timer so it it ready when you are) prebagged horse feeds/grain blends or your own custom blends (I use my own custom blend). I generally add oil too and quite a bit of it for most the very eldery seniors to the crockpot. As the feed slow cooks fibers swell and grains will swell and gel. And if you are using anything with even a bit of molasses in it it smells like molasses cookies baking. I set the timer to go off about 30m before I need it. Then dump over hay pellets, or hay cubes, or BP sheds, or SBH pellets. Or even a combination as needs be. Then let I cool a bit more and saturate the pellets/cubes.

Slow cooking does destroy a little bit of Vit A and it does convert some of the starches into simple sugars (that is why baked potatoes are sweeter than raw). But the Vit A is no biggy. Most feeds have more than enough for what little is lost. The higher sugar is a concern for metabolics of course.

I find that for the very dentally challenged the very plump, water swelled feed is so much easier to get down without choke. They really to love it too, look better and act better.

However my current sr hates anything wet. He gets his overpriced Purina Sr (very grateful for the coupons...thank Purina).

Making your own is not cost effective for everyone. But I live where individual feed ingredients are at my finger tips. High quality whole grains I can often buy farm direct. Fiber pellets such as SBH pellets I can purchase by the ton manufacturer direct. And since I am feeding 19hd and an aging herd I do watch were the pennies go and I can feed a senior horse for 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of bagged senior feeds.

In the winter time instead of the crockpot I just set metal buckets on the wood burner and save on electricity too.

But making my own gives me the ability to feed the individual. Not to mention they love hot meals during the brutally cold winters here! Well...everyone but the current one....Chippers is too spoiled I think!

Triple Crown Senior definitely.

I would not buy from TSC. In my experience, I do not like the quality of what they offer.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

My 19-year-old just had his second choke episode on the Purina Equine Senior. The first one happened four years ago, and I swapped him over to Omelene just to avoid the pelleted feed that was more likely to swell and get stuck in his throat. (In my care situation, it's preferable to make feeding as quick and uncomplicated as possible for the other people who do it, so I opted to change feeds instead of start soaking.) I moved back to Senior just this winter because of the great coupons ... and yesterday had Choke #2, this time much worse.
    We'll be swapping back to the Omelene now. Will have to see how his weight stands up, as I did like what the Sr. was doing for him nutritionally.
    I evented just for the Halibut.

I thought Omolene was a high sugar feed. High in Non Structural Carbs

I found a dealer for Triple Crown ... While they are 10 miles away, if it works best for the horse, then I will have no issues driving 10 miles.

Should I add any supplements or wait and see how she reacts to the feed?

I want to make sure I will have everything I need if/when I bring her home.
    I walk into the barn and hear her soothing nicker, feel her soft muzzle against my cheek, her warm breath on my skin, and it is at that moment I realize there is no where else I would rather be.

Only 10 miles? LOL It's 12 miles for us to the nearest real restaurant

Always change one thing at a time unless there's a reason not to. I'm not sure what supplements you're envisioning, but if you're going to be feeding at least 4-5lb of the TC Sr, you aren't likely to need any.

Always change one thing at a time unless there's a reason not to. I'm not sure what supplements you're envisioning, but if you're going to be feeding at least 4-5lb of the TC Sr, you aren't likely to need any.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post

It's less than .01 mile to the nearest fast food joint. There are two at the very end of my street. And less the .02 miles to the nearest real restaurants, but I do live in city limits.

The one I was looking at was the SmartPak Senior Herb Free (I think that was the whole name lol) I just want to make sure.

I'd probably be feeding about 5lbs and go from there. Add or subtract depending on if she gains to much or to little.

I love Seminole Senior!!!!! My 28 year old TB has just blossomed on it! I had him on Purina Senior and he lost tons of weight. Not to mention the quality of the Senior varied-my last 4 bags were dry and dusty. I don't like the fact that Purina is not consistant with thier recipe.

The Seminole WELLNESS Senior is fabulous!!! It's loaded with herbs, it's low starch, high fat. The horses drool for it & look wonderful on it.
    It's a copy of the old Spillers feeds from England.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

I love the Seminole Wellness foods, I was feeding Show and Sport, and this winter changed my horses over to the Senior. Smells yummy and the horses love it. However, my horses are not "senior" horses, and they are doing really well on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post

Really! 25 miles round trip to anything other than the Dollar Store. On some days, I'm thankful that it's the liquor store that's the next closest.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

I've had all three of my geldings (8 year old show horse, 10 year old ridden lightly very occasionally and 16 year old who hasn't done a day's worth of work in about 13 years) on Triple Crown Senior for almost two years and love it. The two who don't work really only get a handful or two, mostly to make them feel like they're not being left out, and they all have great-looking, shiny coats (with dapples even!) The 8 year old can sometimes be a bit picky about his food (over the years we've tried Purina's Strategy, Omolene and Ultium, as well as TC's Training formula) but he hasn't had any problems finishing his dinner with the TC Senior.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

Seminole Wellness Senior.
    Seminole IMHO is the greatest complete feed company
    Their customer service is stellar too
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble