The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Typical haul-in/lesson fees

I'm being nosy. What do most of you expect to pay for an hour-long private lesson? Dressage or jumping. Also, what's the haul in fee, if there is one?

I'm still at a loss for finding a trainer I'm comfortable with and can afford. I contacted a local dressage trainer and about spit Coke all over my computer screen when I got an email back saying how much she charges.

To be fair, I'm not expecting "cheap" lessons. I paid $65 for an hour long private dressage lesson with a very good lady in VA. Including haul-in fee, the clinic I went to April 1st with a fantastic rated judge/rider was $55. I know clinic fees are usually reduced because of the number of riders, but am I being unreasonable in wanting/hoping to find a trainer who will give a lesson for under $100 anymore??

My dressage trainer charges $100 for an hour private whether you haul in or she comes to me. That's why I lesson with my friend and then its only $50 per hour

My jump trainer will do a 45 minute private for $45 which is MUCH more reasonable, and probably I'm really lucky to be able to have that. Good luck, it can be really hard finding an affordable trainer that you like!
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

Sending you a PM

I'm spoilt. My coach charges $20 for each half hour - and I'd happily pay double that if I had to. She just undervalues herself IMHO.

That said, I've paid $100 + for an hour lesson at a clinic (that clinic cost me nearly $300 after bribing my BO to take me by paying for his clinic and 2 stalls...) it was also worth every penny.

I expect to pay $75 - $100 for a private lesson with a top notch trainer. In a clinic setting it will usually be more because of fees paid to the hosting facility. For lessons with good local trainers (not a BNT or someone competing at the highest levels) I expect to pay $30 - $50 for a private lesson.

I pay $65 for a private or semi- private half hour (ish) jumping lesson with a BNT. And it's been worth it, definitely. And she is on the low end for an ULR in this area-- I am an hour from Boyd Martin, Phillip Dutton, Bruce Davidson, etc. I don't pay a haul-in fee to jump at her place or at the other local farm where she teaches. The farm that is about 90 minutes away has a $25 fee, but they also have xc, including some P/ I questions, and I only go there for xc lessons.

I pay $45 for dressage for someone who is local and good but not fantastic. Given my horse's mental and physical issues/ limitations and my poverty, I think it is not worth a huge investment-- he is just not going to improve enough for me to justify spending a fortune. I would expect to pay up to $100+ depending on how fancy I wanted to get.

I don't clinic much, but IME the cost can vary wildly depending on numbers and whether the clinic is sponsored by a local organization or "for-profit" and also by the clinician's actual costs.

It is an expensive sport, definitely.

Around here, I expect to pay around $65 for good but not BN coaches, at all disciplines. With a BNT I expect to pay in the $75-100 range. Haul in fees vary depending on the situation. Most trainers I know of don't charge you extra to come to them (maybe if your using a xc field or gallop), but, if for example, you met a trainer at my farm and didn't board here, it would be a $20-35 haul in fee (ring vs xc fee). A lot of farms in the area have haul in fees for non-boarders, if they allow outsiders to use their facilities. Some trainers will have a travel fee if they come to you (don't blame them!).

Clinic fees vary a great deal. I am saving my pennies to ride with GM this fall. We're talking something like $500 for a couple of days. But I've also ridden in "clinics" for something around $100.

I ride with a BNT and it's $65 for a lesson and I believe a $25 haul-in fee since it isn't explicitly HER facility. I board there so I don't have to pay it for lessons, but I certainly make up for it in the boarding cost!

I pay $40 and no haul in fee for a 45 minute lesson with my coach who is a MNT. I pay $60 for a xc lesson with a local BNT. Both are worth every cent.

By MNT I mean he's ridden Gran Prix show jumping and has numerous zone HOTY awards for sport horse breeding.

By BNT I mean she's an international caliber eventer and is very well known and respected in eventing circles.
    Last edited by Mtn trails; Apr. 18, 2012 at 03:51 PM.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

I wouldn't be so shocked if any of these trainers was a BNT. But, I guess it depends on what makes a BNT. There is one trainer in the area who was on their way to qualifying for the Olympics. That, to me, is a BNT. The dressage trainer *rides* with a BNT, and used to ride/work for a different BNT. She's a USDF Bronze Medalist. When I compared her to the clinician, I was super shocked that her fees were higher than said clinician who is a Gold/Silver/Bronze medalist and rated judge.

Are my perceptions of BNT's way off? I just thought it was odd that my clinic was a lot cheaper than the other dressage trainer. Most lesson prices in the area are around $40-$50. I thought a $15 haul in fee was high, but after browsing several websites it is rather normal. *sigh* I guess sticker shock just got the best of me!

This does make me reconsider the girl who's around my age and will travel to me and only charges $40 for an hour-long private lesson!

$65 per hour with 3* (about to do first 4*) trainer at her facility.

$100 per hour for ship in less on with 2012 Olympic favorite... so I don't do this but that's what it costs.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

I pay $55 for a group lesson (slated time is 1hr 15mins, but honestly the last one last 45 mins because both of us were doing so well). I believe it is $45 for 30-45 min private. We also have to pay a $5 trainer fee to the barn (which I board at)... which I still grumble about. The trainer/BO only teaches dressage so obviously trainer has to come to the barn to teach a jump lesson unless we haul out. BO states it's to cover the extra insurance for outside trainers, but jump trainer has her own insurance... even she was confused when we were talking about that fee. I also find it odd that people that trailer in for the jump lessons don't have a ring fee, they pay the same $5 fee that the boarders have to pay to take a jump lesson.
    The fees are different if you travel to her (Aiken- 2-2.5hours away). I know the times I've gone up and done group xc schools it's only been $35. I want to say the private hour I did up there at her place was $45...

Dressage lessons with the barn owner (who has done GP) are $45-50 for 45 minutes.