The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spin-off Rolex information (what a first-timer should know)

I apologize if this has been mentioned before but please talk to me about what I should be expecting as a first timer at the Rolex?
    I also have specific questions below:
    • Are you allowed to bring food/beverage into the horse park?

• Can I bring a bookbag into the park?

• Are you able to re-enter the horse park if you leave during the day? I read online that once you have used the ticket, that's it; no re-entry. Do they not do hand stamps?

• Is there anywhere online that I could print out a course map? Or is that information not available ahead of time?

And please feel free to add anything that you think I should know, as well. I am really looking forward to it and I want to make sure I am thoroughly prepared
    Thanks!

Really? No one able to offer any insight...?

Yes to the food and bookbag.

Course maps not yet available to the public.

I have no idea about the re-entry.

Enjoy your first trip to Rolex!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Comfortable walking shoes are a necessity. If you have a pair that you have walked miles at a time in that make your feet happy, take them.

Be sure that you are prepared for all kinds of weather. It could be summer hot, spring pleasant, monsoon season wet, or winter cold.

Buy the fudge from the fudge people if they are there. Can't remember their name, but their fudge is very special.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Comfortable walking shoes are a necessity. If you have a pair that you have walked miles at a time in that make your feet happy, take them.

Be sure that you are prepared for all kinds of weather. It could be summer hot, spring pleasant, monsoon season wet, or winter cold.

Buy the fudge from the fudge people if they are there. Can't remember their name, but their fudge is very special.
    I.B. Back Fudge. Yes, absolutely a necessity! I often skip the food court (bring food from home) but the Fudge always gets my business!

Shopping: Thursday and Sunday are by far the best shopping days. Thursday is less crowded and you have plenty of time to browse, talk with representatives, and get to know your way around. Sunday is the best buying day...many stores will slash their prices so they don't have to haul stuff home! However, be prepared for slim pickings in odd sizes or colors! If you own something pony-sized or draft-sized, you can score some major deals. Usually everything at The Rolex Tent store is 50% off on Sunday.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Do a search, enter Rolex Tips, and you will find threads like this
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ght=rolex+tips

The ticket is a wearable stub, you can get back to parking etc.

A good course map is in the event program you can buy at the gates.

Shoes A#1, and a good lightwgt shoulder tote. Bring a water bottle to refill, easy to eat foods, snacks. Sunscreen! Credit cards

They invented cell phones for Rolex. PM anyone on here and start collecting phone #s.

ENJOY - everyone!! there is just as crazy as you are! Write back and share your first time.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

Default Oh and get this weeks COTH somewhere

Jimmy Wofford always does a 'rider/horse" bio thing. Very cool.

The program you can get at the gate will have a great course map and horse and rider information.

Jimmy usually does a course walk after the Friday dressage. Also good.

Take a folding one of those camping chairs for xc day.

And when someone said be ready for any weather, what they actually meant was all on the same day!!

A hat is good too.

Im going to second, or third most of whatever has already said...great shoes are a must!!!
    We bring in lightweight folding chairs for XC, the kind that can go into a bag with a shoulder strap...we both bring in backpacks...one for food and one for goodies we buy.

You can re-enter...makes it easier to drop off loads of goodies and start over!!!

Here is a question...do you think its ok to laminate the tickets? I have a couple of lanyards and wearing them around your neck is so much easier, but it seems we can never find the Rolex ticket pouches we see some people with....thinking laminating them and punching a hole in the top for the lanyard clip would be an easy way to carry them....
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

We buy the lanyard thingys in the Rolex tent.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

"We buy the lanyard thingys in the Rolex tent."

YES!!!!

After several years of going and having to constantly keep track of my tickets, I finally "indulged" and spent the $5 for it. Keeps your tickets right there around your neck - very handy! Also, for whoever asked, they are available in the Rolex Merchandise tent, usually at check out.

Triple or more ditto on the comfy shoes...be prepared to walk, and walk, and walk, and walk....oh, and walk! A fold up chair is a must for XC day for me - usually the grass is sopping wet (no matter what the weather). Bags are fine, but will be searched. I've never been stopped for bringing in snack foods and bottled water. Be prepared for the crowds - especially on Saturday (XC day). I tend to avoid the shopping and food areas altogether on that day. There are food areas out on XC course.

Most importantly - bring your camera and HAVE FUN!

Question - I might be interested in signing up for the course walk after Friday dressage with Jimmy. How do we do that?
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

We always look and look on Friday but have never been able to find them, my guess is they sell out by the time we get there, but maybe not this year!
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

you must be thinking WEGs regarding the bags being searched. We've never encountered that at Rolex.

I've campaigned and emailed the park to set more benches out more places! Age is creeping and I'm creaking. To experience Rolex makes for some very long days constantly on your feet (and having to carry all day too).
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

I wouldn't laminate the tickets...they use a laser reader to "read" them and the laminating might invalidate your tickets. I would just get the lanyard, you can also pick up lanyards with an attached zipper wallet at any home office supply store. I did that and my hands were free without a wallet/purse. Also, keep in mind Jimmy had surgery on his ankle recently and he doesn't walk about. Check with Rolex or Jimmy to see if he'll still do the course walk this year. You may have to keep up with him in his Gator (although I also vaguely remembered he Gatored around previous years, too....)
    “Always saddle your own horse. Always know what you’re doing. And go in the direction you are heading.” Connie Reeves
    Jump Start Solutions LLC