The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default AHS inspections questions-mare and foal

well now that my foal is on the ground and doing well, i guess it's time to look ahead to the inspections. Being a first time breeder, i have NO idea what i am doing of course

First, my mare earned her Elite Mare Candidate status with the AHS with a previous owner. I have all of her documentation/paperwork. Now she has had her first foal. Will she have to be inspected when we present the foal to go into the book? Meaning, do we have to attend an inspection that does more than just foals?

Second, What is the etiquette/protocol for these inspections? do both have to be braided? mane only? i assume these would be the dressage-style braids and not hunter-y...anything else?

ok, handlers...I am an ammy, by no means a handler, though i have shown in hand in some HB classes. Was planning on bringing my trainer to help me. what do we wear? should i hire a pro for both mare and foal instead? what will we be asked to do? any handlers in the northern va area i can hire?

tack...i assume mare in hand in a bridle. what should foal go in?

any other tidbits that may be useful? clearly i know nothing and i try to read the AHS website but it doesnt really break down the process and what is expected very well for someone who knows nothing to figure it out...

thanks!!

If your mare has already successfully completed her AHS mare performance test (which I will assume since you said she is an Elite Mare Candidate instead of Elite Mare Eligible), then you do not need to do anything else to finish her EM status except present the foal by her side.

Braid them both (doesn't matter if you use hunter or dressage braids, so long as they look neat and clean - and you don't HAVE to braid the baby if it is one of those that just doesn't really have enough baby hair to braid).

You'll be presenting only the foal, but the mare will be in the ring, too, so have her in a bridle. The foal should be lead in wearing a leather halter. The inspectors will take a look at the foal and record it's markings and then look at the foal's movement. At this point, you will remove the foal's halter and someone will trot the mare around in hand with the foal moving at liberty.

You shouldn't need a professional for this, as the quality of the mare's movement is not being judged, but you do need someone who is competent to trot the mare in hand, keeping the foal to the inside so the inspectors can see it and not getting run over by the foal.

After the awards for best filly and colt, the foals will be branded.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Just one thing to add to Sonesta's excellent response, at our Virginia inspections the owners of the foals are usually given the option of leaving the halter on or not during their inspection off lead. Because it cuts down so much on the "catch time" of a amped up foal, I always had my foals show at liberty with the halter on.

My foals are haltered am & pm every day anyway, they are well accustomed to it, and I always give them time to get used to running around with it on as well (always supervised. I'm one of those that does not turn out a foal wearing a halter that will be at any time unsupervised.)

As far as braiding, in our area it is the custom to have mare & foal braided. I understand though, that that is ot always the case at every site. Best to check with your site host on the custom for the area.

On the topic of information, the AHS Education and Marketing committee acknowledges the lack of a comprehensive subject-matter library, and the development of these educational tools is high on our "to-do" list.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

I will add that even though you can get anyone to run the mare with a foal, I always get a handler to do that. They are good at getting the foal stood up quietly for markings and general evaluation, and have the ability to get the best pace possible from the mare to show off the foal. We always have the handler take the foal in and either myself or my daughter take the mare, then turn the foal loose and hand off the mare to our handler. Foals like to hide on the side of the mare away from the judges, and if you have someone who knows what they are doing, it will go a lot smoother. Trust me on this one.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

fantastic! thanks guys! looking forward to the inspection

They are good at getting the foal stood up quietly for markings and general evaluation, and have the ability to get the best pace possible from the mare to show off the foal. We always have the handler take the foal in and either myself or my daughter take the mare, then turn the foal loose and hand off the mare to our handler.
    This is something you can practice, as well. After the foal is comfortable leading, I will teach them to stand quietly. First, just practice having them stand still with a command (voice, hand, or whip signal) and keep if very brief- like if they keep all their feet in place for one second you give them lots of scratches. Then gradually increase the amount of time they have to stand still and see if you can move a step back, then a couple feet away. If the foal moves its feet at any point, I make an "Ah-ah" sound and put them back where they were. Mine usually learn very quickly and it is so much easier to handle them during the excitement of the inspection (I have seen many foals be downright dangerous!). Remember to keep training sessions short and positive!

To answer your other question: I always wear white pants and a solid polo shirt with running shoes (if you will be trotting the mare)

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    If your mare has already successfully completed her AHS mare performance test (which I will assume since you said she is an Elite Mare Candidate instead of Elite Mare Eligible), then you do not need to do anything else to finish her EM status except present the foal by her side.
    I don't think it is necessary to "present the foal" in order to fulfill the Elite Mare requirements - simply registering the foal with the AHS should suffice (assuming that the foal is in fact registerable with the AHS).
    "That is why you have a pony..." - Edgewood, 2011

Bent, that is good to know. I always thought you had to actually present the foal for inspection since the EM requirements state that they must produce an "acceptable" foal (or something to that affect).

Edited to say: I went to look at AHS rule book and you are correct. The EMC mare must produce a foal registered with AHS to complete her requirements. Nothing about presenting it or it being acceptable (maybe I got that from the Verband requirements???).
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.