The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

geldingsRgreat- I order mine from there (HorsePrecace.com), no script needed.

Ive used it on my gelding. Works wonders. It took about the 4th shot to see a noticable difference. I do not use anything else on him, no joint supplements etc....Pentosan works for my guy.
    I gave the shots myself, was easier than I thought it would be

I am about to start this on my old gal. My vet gave me one loading dose/maintenance dose regime, but I have heard of others.

What regime did you use?

thanks

L

Do you keep your horse in, turn her out or ride her while on the loading dose protocol?
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Carol - I did not change my management at all. And still don't. Business as usual.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by geldingsRgreat View Post
    Has anyone ever purchased it from here?
    http://www.horseprerace.com/pentosan...6ml-p-146.html
    Another posted said you didn't need a script.
    I just ordered 4 vials from them no script.

Fellow Canadians know if it gets here. lol

Well my 2 creaky joint older Chesapeake Bay Retrievers get 1cc Sub Q weeekly and its AMAZING...the horse??

Yes and no totally depending on the horse.

I started this thread and my guy just got his first shot today. He's only 14.2 and although the vet said to give 6cc monthly after the loading dose, I may try 5cc later on. I think this would give me one extra dose per bottle?

I didn't do the injection myself but she showed me what to do several times (came to do spring vacs on several horses). It looks pretty easy. I think it's the thought of the "crunch" of the needle going into his skin that makes me worry. Next week I'll do it myself and give him a few treats afterwards to make ME feel better.

She did suggest a Glucosamine and HA supplement if I wanted to use anything other than the injection.

Quote Originally Posted by pony baloney View Post
    I started this thread and my guy just got his first shot today. He's only 14.2 and although the vet said to give 6cc monthly after the loading dose, I may try 5cc later on. I think this would give me one extra dose per bottle?

I didn't do the injection myself but she showed me what to do several times (came to do spring vacs on several horses). It looks pretty easy. I think it's the thought of the "crunch" of the needle going into his skin that makes me worry. Next week I'll do it myself and give him a few treats afterwards to make ME feel better.

She did suggest a Glucosamine and HA supplement if I wanted to use anything other than the injection.
    It is easier to give a horse a shot if you are rather PO'ed at the horse. Note:this does not work when giving shots to your SO
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I just wanted to add my positive experience with Pentosan!

The horse in question is a 5 y.o. OTTB with severe, unoperable knee chips...in both knees but much worse in the RF. He had been repeatedly tapped and ran...tapped and ran.. his right knee looks like cottage cheese.

After a month of 6cc every week, now we are on to 6cc/month doses... and he trotted SOUND to the right on the lunge today. He is due for his next dose on May 8th, so it has been two weeks since his last shot.

I'm just so happy with how well the Pentosan has worked. I had the joint injected after I acquired him in November at the suggestion of the vet....and before I understood how damaging those injections could be to the joint. After researching on COTH, I got a second opinion from another vet who thought Pentosan would be a good option for Mullie... I'm so glad I did... it is working better than I expected and it won't contribute to the joint breaking down further!

He is moving so freely that I'm going to put a saddle on him for the first time this weekend
    Last edited by leahandpie; Apr. 23, 2012 at 09:36 PM.
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

Gave my old gal her first shot today. I'll update as i see improvement.

and my vet's regime is 4cc on day 1, another 4cc on day 4, then one week later 4cc, continue weekly for three more weeks, then 4cc as needed, every 2-4 weeks.

L

Quote Originally Posted by leahandpie View Post
    He is moving so freely that I'm going to put a saddle on him for the first time this weekend
    Yay!!!

My Boy got 6cc's once a week for 4 weeks (he's a big boy) and now he get's 6cc's every 3 weeks so that I use the bottle up before it expires. I can tell when he's due for his next shot because he will stop rolling on his left side. So it seems every 3 weeks is a good schedule for him. He's going up next month for shots and I'm going to have a lameness exam just to make sure he's doing as good as I think he is. If he doesn't need his hocks done we will both be happy campers!
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Pippigirl and Larbear: Sorry guys I'm actually in Australia mainly these days. I can check with friends to see if they use it and where they get it from.

Wish i could just mail it to you since it is pretty cheap here.

And an update on the death in the top race horse, Pinker Pinker was caused by a reaction to the Pentasan Gold which wasn't administered properly And done by a vet no less.

P.

Quote Originally Posted by Polydor View Post
    And an update on the death in the top race horse, Pinker Pinker was caused by a reaction to the Pentasan Gold which wasn't administered properly And done by a vet no less.

P.

Sorry to hear that How was it administered?
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Maybe IV instead of IM???
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

Pippigirl and Larbear: Sorry guys I'm actually in Australia mainly these days. I can check with friends to see if they use it and where they get it from.

P.
    Aw darn! Well thanks for letting us know though.

How was the Penosan Gold not properly administered bya vet???

I've been using it on my mare for about 6 months now and noticed a difference after the first injection. My sluggish and lazy TB turned into a forward moving, flying-lead-change happening, feel-good all over kind of gal. I would definitely recommend giving it a try.

And thanks to those who posted links on where they are purchasing it!

ETA - I've been giving 5CC 2x a month, per vet's recommendations.
    Last edited by Tivas_a_Diva; Apr. 25, 2012 at 01:10 PM. Reason: ETA - I've been giving 5CC 2x a month, per vet's recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
    I just ordered 4 vials from them no script.

Fellow Canadians know if it gets here. lol
    Bumping this for an update!

Hey, for people who have horses on Adequan and are thinking of making the switch to Pentosan, would you keep your horse on Adequan at the same time you are loading-dose or experimenting with Pentosan?

Two boarders at my barn have older horses on the stuff: 1 is thrilled with the results (horse simultaneously on Adequan) and the other boarder was initially thrilled with the results, until about 2 months later, when the horse reverted to his old stiffness, and she non longer saw any improvement. (Can't comment on dosage, frequency, or use of loading dose, as I am not up-to-speed on how they went about it.)

P.
    This article mentions anaphalaxis which has nothing to do with improper administration.
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/su...-1226334701060