The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 245
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug. 18, 2005
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Does anyone know where in Canada you can order the Pentosan? I know it's labeled as Cartophen Vet (for dogs and cats). A Canadian poster from another board was quoted from their vet: Pentosan $193/dose, 4 doses = $772 Seriously??



  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan. 18, 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada and South Australia
    Posts
    3,106

    Default

    We use it on lots of yearling specailly the ones with bad x-rays. Some what of a miracle drug

    Though recently there was a top racehorse who died for an injection of it though of course don't know all the details of it.

    P.



  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun. 23, 2006
    Location
    Stoystown, PA
    Posts
    1,898

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Larbear View Post
    Does anyone know where in Canada you can order the Pentosan? I know it's labeled as Cartophen Vet (for dogs and cats). A Canadian poster from another board was quoted from their vet: Pentosan $193/dose, 4 doses = $772 Seriously??
    Wow that's expensive... Can your vet get it compounded for you anywhere? Can he get it from Wedgewood? Not sure of the laws and if you can do that or not.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"



  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2010
    Posts
    2,236

    Default

    I've been following this thread and I'm very encouraged by what I've read. I've been thinking about starting my QH on some sort of injections, I'll definitely be talking to my vet about Pentosan!

    I'm getting sick of paying for oral supplements that I "think" are working.
    come what may

    Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013



  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    13,446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    I've been following this thread and I'm very encouraged by what I've read. I've been thinking about starting my QH on some sort of injections, I'll definitely be talking to my vet about Pentosan!

    I'm getting sick of paying for oral supplements that I "think" are working.
    Yup, I'm calling my vet this morning. Sophie had her fetlock injected a few months ago and she's sore on it again, not head bobbing lame but ouchy on a sharp turn. She was on SmartFlex Resilience and I switched her to Rehab.

    ETA:I notice it is sold in 6 ml vials for one dose administration to a 1200 lb or so horse. Do people with larger horses use more than one vial? I HATE to pull a partial dose out of a vial and leave the rest for later. Yeah i know it's just me being picky
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.



  6. #26
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2010
    Posts
    2,236

    Default

    She was on SmartFlex Resilience and I switched her to Rehab
    If you're still interested in using oral supplements in addition to injections, I've actually had some success with a combo of Corta-Flx and Flex Force HA. Used together it still comes out to be less than $40 a month. I get both from Valley Vet.

    I am tired of possibly "wasting" my money though, even if I do think the supplements are working.
    come what may

    Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013



  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    13,446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    If you're still interested in using oral supplements in addition to injections, I've actually had some success with a combo of Corta-Flx and Flex Force HA. Used together it still comes out to be less than $40 a month. I get both from Valley Vet.

    I am tired of possibly "wasting" my money though, even if I do think the supplements are working.
    Thanks, I'll look into that. I have been paying about $60 for the SmartPacks.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.



  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct. 18, 2000
    Posts
    22,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    ETA:I notice it is sold in 6 ml vials for one dose administration to a 1200 lb or so horse. Do people with larger horses use more than one vial? I HATE to pull a partial dose out of a vial and leave the rest for later. Yeah i know it's just me being picky
    Carol - don't bother with the little vials. If you purchase it from Wedgewood, they'll work with your vet/Plumb's Formulary to compound it based on your horses weight. In other words - customized.

    It is sold in a large vial - I think it is 100ml but don't take that as gospel. You do NOT refrigerate it. Just keep it in a cool, dark place.

    Much more cost effective.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling



  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug. 18, 2005
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoyleHeightsKid View Post
    Wow that's expensive... Can your vet get it compounded for you anywhere? Can he get it from Wedgewood? Not sure of the laws and if you can do that or not.
    Wedgewood doesn't ship to Canada (I called and asked) and I think the prescription has to come from an American vet.

    Polydor, you're in Canada? Are you able to order Pentosan (and in a 250 mg/mL vial larger than 6 mL)?

    I'm guessing there are no compounding pharmacies up in Canada with Pentosan? If one can only buy the Cartophen in the 6 mL vials at the price in my earlier post, that puts Pentosan out or reach financially for a lot of people. So frustrating



  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan. 16, 2002
    Location
    West Coast of Michigan
    Posts
    36,321

    Default

    The large vials I buy are 250 ml. and are dark glass bottles so I don't worry about light exposure. I keep them in my tack room which is 40-50 degrees this time of year. Depending on the weight of the horses you can get 8-9 doses out of one bottle.
    Click here before you buy.



  11. #31
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2006
    Posts
    1,388

    Default

    Has anyone had luck switching from daily bute to pentosan? My old girl gets a gram a day but she hates it and it's a daily struggle. Pissing off your 28yo daily is bad for your ego.



  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jan. 16, 2002
    Location
    West Coast of Michigan
    Posts
    36,321

    Default

    Certainly I would want to try it. Long-term NSAIDs, although they certainly have their place, are no picnic for stomach or kidneys. If you could find someone to split a vial with you, a month-long trial of weekly injections would set you back only about $85. You'd probably have a good idea if it was helping after this trial, and could go from there.
    Click here before you buy.



  13. #33
    Join Date
    Feb. 19, 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    836

    Default

    DW - what are you paying for the 250 ml vial? And dose is always 6cc?



  14. #34
    Join Date
    Sep. 20, 2006
    Posts
    178

    Default

    I pay about $120 for Pentosan from Wedgewood. It is a 50ml vial at a concentration of 250ml -- not a 250 mil bottle



  15. #35
    Join Date
    Mar. 3, 2009
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    53

    Default

    I've noticed a huge difference in my horse. He's been on Adequan and a bunch of different joint oral supplements and this was the only thing that I really felt a difference after using. I went through one bottle doing 1 shot every week for 4 weeks and then moved to once a month.

    I've heard people say good things about the PentAussie product too but don't have any experience with that.



  16. #36
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2010
    Posts
    2,236

    Default

    Anyone know the potential side effects?
    come what may

    Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013



  17. #37
    Join Date
    May. 17, 2010
    Posts
    47

    Default

    SAcres- Potential side effects when administered IM, is that it is a mild blood thinner. This is not a blad thing in itself, but if your horse has a bleeding dissorder where his blood does not coagulate properly, don't use Pentosan. Also don't use it right before surgery.



  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jan. 16, 2002
    Location
    West Coast of Michigan
    Posts
    36,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearskin View Post
    I pay about $120 for Pentosan from Wedgewood. It is a 50ml vial at a concentration of 250ml -- not a 250 mil bottle

    Sorry, sorry, you are right! That's the same thing I buy. Mea culpa.

    The dose is 3 mg/kg, so for an average 1000 pound horse it is 1300mg which is a little more than 5 cc. So I round it up for a slightly larger horse to 6 cc but for my two littler guys (900-pounders or thereabouts) I can get away with 5cc.
    Click here before you buy.



  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jul. 18, 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Polydor View Post
    We use it on lots of yearling specailly the ones with bad x-rays. Some what of a miracle drug

    Though recently there was a top racehorse who died for an injection of it though of course don't know all the details of it.

    P.
    Hi Polydor, where do you get your Pentosan from?



  20. #40
    Join Date
    Aug. 6, 2008
    Posts
    121

    Default

    Has anyone ever purchased it from here?
    http://www.horseprerace.com/pentosan...6ml-p-146.html
    Another posted said you didn't need a script.



Similar Threads

  1. OTTB Then and now/Success stories
    By TatteredDaydreamer in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Nov. 26, 2011, 05:32 PM
  2. Cryptorchid ~ Any Success Stories?
    By Diamondindykin in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: May. 17, 2011, 05:54 PM
  3. Success Stories
    By LaLuna in forum Off Course
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jan. 12, 2011, 10:28 AM
  4. PRP - Success Stories?
    By Such Life in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Jul. 13, 2010, 10:56 PM
  5. Tell me about OCD success or horror stories...
    By faraway46 in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Oct. 5, 2009, 03:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness