The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Carried Away View Post
    Wedgewood requires a script, no?
    Yes.

Default Starting Pentosan this weekend...

I recently purchased a sweet boy who'd previously had his hock injected. He's been going well, overall, but can be balky and I was interested in finding an alternative to ongoing AI injections.

So...I just finished researching everything I could find on Pentosan, and am starting the first series of IM shots this week. It took quite a bit of googling and several phone calls to pull this info together, so I thought I'd share it here. After signing a release of liability, my vet called in a script to the (compounding) pharmacy Wedgewood, who then called me for my credit card info and order. They have different strengths, but advised that the 250mg/mL injection solution is the "formula" for equines. I ordered a 50mL bottle, which will provide approx. 8 doses at 6cc each. My vet recommended a loading dose of 6ccs 1X per week for 4 weeks, and then once a month thereafter (though I have seen posts from other users who have adjusted this timing based on their horses' needs). The cost from Wedgewood, including shipping, was $109, and I received my order within 3 days. You can buy a 100mL bottle at a better price, but I thought I'd try the 50mL first to see if it makes a difference with my guy. (You can also order it in single-dose 6mL vials).

I saw another poster reference PentAussie, and wanted to mention that my vet's office recommended PA because they carry and sell it, but upon researching it online I learned that PentAussie consists of 125mg/mL Pentosan (half the strength of regular Pentosan) and 200mg/mL of N-Acetyl Glucosamine. From my vet, 48mL of the PentAussie would have been $200(!). Also interesting is that its labeled use is as a lavage, but it is apparently commonly used and was recommended to me as an "off label" IM injection.

Will post an update if the Pentosan seems to make a difference with my guy. Wish us luck!
    Last edited by Welli; Apr. 13, 2013 at 09:14 AM.

Just found this thread and am pondering if Pentosan would help my younger horse. He has arthritic changes in his lower back, so his joint spaces there are very very narrow -- we injected them last year and he did well until after a big eventing clinic this spring. He was fabulous at the clinic, but came home and fell apart.

I was fine with reinjecting, but am concerned for his future in the sport and I do not want to try to push a peg into an inappropriate hole if he is going to be uncomfortable. He's only 8 now and I'm consulting with my own excellent vet and NCSU about his future prognosis.

He has a great build, awesome feet, wonderful brain, excellent jumper, and clean joints aside from the changes from about L12-L15. He goes beautifully on the long lines, free jumping and had no issues as I came back from knee surgery from Jan-March. I am working hard to keep his topline strong but it's very frustrating to get him going wonderfully and then, like a light switch, he flares up and we get set back to a year ago (he starts tripping over his back feet and unable to hold left lead at canter under saddle).

He's really a sweet, wonderful horse and tries SO hard, but after a year and a half, has yet to prove himself even at Novice (my goal is a Training 3-day, didn't help when he pulled his SI ligament last fall *headdesk*). Obviously will see what happens over the next few weeks and what vets have to say, but wondering if Pentosan is worth a last-ditch effort -- it won't change the joint space issue, but perhaps it could be more proactive at keeping inflammation down? My vet uses it regularly and quite likes it.

I do my best for my horses, but if his body can't keep up with his heart, well, I already own one of those, sigh, then I have to ponder if he might be better off as someone's REALLY nice trail horse (he's great in the woods!), pleasure, driving, something with less back pressure.

Ugh, sorry this is long, I have a lot to think about.

Anyone in KY that knows of a vet that prescribes compounded Pentosan? I really think this would be a good starting point for my horse but I got the runaround from my vet when I asked today. Thanks!

Bumping again for a question.... I am very interested in trying this with a few of my horses. I have a call and email to my vet...

Was wondering can you compete on Pentosan?
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!

I have found using Pentosan and mixing Glucosamine works like a charm with horses that need a little help. Horsprerace.com has both products as well as horsemedsonline.com I have ordered from both with good success. Also you can try Polyglycan

Does anyone have experience with using Pentosan for arthritis in the neck?
    Last edited by Kdash1228; May. 21, 2013 at 09:56 AM.

Default Maximizing the Performance of Pentosan

Pentosan is a wonderful product that we carry in stock in a variety of sizes. We have 6mL, 50mL, and Pentosan Gold which has Glucosamine included. After reading most of the threads this information is fairly accurate. A good course of action is a 6ml dose once a week for 6 weeks to fully load the Pentosan. Thereafter you can use 6ml monthly or bi-weekly. Some owners use bi-weekly as they seem to feel it doesn’t allow for any soreness or stiffness. You can compete while using Pentosan. If conditions require you can also use Glucosamine or Joint Motion X in conjunction with Pentosan. Together these products will greatly reduce the pain and inflammation in your horse. If you have any further or more detailed questions please let us know.

I am thinking about starting my horse on Pentosan. My vet has quoted me about $35 per dose (not sure how much a dose is according to my vet, though as we haven't gone into the details yet). He said doses would go like this for her: day 1, day 14, day 30 and then once a month afterwards. It seems like we'd have a lesser startup than other people have mentioned.

We injected her last April (2013) but she had a few other problems arise (injured hind suspensory), Lyme disease (and because of that, extremely ambiguous lameness)... Now that she's finally finished her Lyme medication, I'm thinking we should start on Pentosan. She's still sore behind and in her back (probably the lower SI joint).

Any opinions on us starting Pentosan?
    I've found on this website: http://horseprerace.com/joint-supple...osan-platinum/ that an 18mL bottle is just about $60...seems much cheaper than $35 per what I would assume is a 6mL dose.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmarezing View Post
    I am thinking about starting my horse on Pentosan. My vet has quoted me about $35 per dose (not sure how much a dose is according to my vet, though as we haven't gone into the details yet). He said doses would go like this for her: day 1, day 14, day 30 and then once a month afterwards. It seems like we'd have a lesser startup than other people have mentioned.

We injected her last April (2013) but she had a few other problems arise (injured hind suspensory), Lyme disease (and because of that, extremely ambiguous lameness)... Now that she's finally finished her Lyme medication, I'm thinking we should start on Pentosan. She's still sore behind and in her back (probably the lower SI joint).

Any opinions on us starting Pentosan?
    I've found on this website: http://horseprerace.com/joint-supple...osan-platinum/ that an 18mL bottle is just about $60...seems much cheaper than $35 per what I would assume is a 6mL dose.

Thanks!
    That is much more than what you would spend if you got it directly from Wedgewood which is likely where your vet got his from. That is not the normal loading dose either. It is once a week for four weeks. I have not used horseprerace so no comment there except to say it is much more expensive than Wedgewood too.

I just finished the loading dose of Pentosan (6 cc 1x a week for 4 weeks).
    My horse is 19, very large, and has both significant hock arthritis and changes in other areas, including his back and fetlocks.
    I rode him today properly for the first time since the loading dose finished (about a week ago - he'd been hacked out or ridden by friends this week as I was slammed).
    He. Felt. Amazing.
    I could not believe how much better he felt than he has in such a long time.
    My vet uses Pentosan a lot - they have me on 2x a month for the next little bit, then down to 1x a month. If that doesn't do the trick I would bump him back to 2x a month.
    I am still on cloud 9 about how he felt today.
    Would be worth it at 3 times the cost (I get it from Wedgewood, like many others).
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    That is much more than what you would spend if you got it directly from Wedgewood which is likely where your vet got his from. That is not the normal loading dose either. It is once a week for four weeks. I have not used horseprerace so no comment there except to say it is much more expensive than Wedgewood too.
    So do you think I should try to convince my vet to write me a prescription to purchase it from Wedgewood? I'm worried about doing that because he's an extremely sensitive person and I fear that I'll offend him greatly if I do that. I want him as my vet and I don't want to jeopardize our relationship because I want to save some money (and I don't even know how much I'd really save?).

And to confirm he did say yes, 6cc day 1, day 14 and day 30...then every thirty days thereafter. Hmm.

It's hard for me to question him.

That is up to you obviously, I don't know your vet or how he will react. Legally he has to write a script if you ask but he doesn't have to be pleasant about it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, I don't want him taking offense or anything which I imagine he would if I asked.
    I also think he'll say, "the product might not work as well as mine if maybe it's compounded", etc...

In that case, make sure what you are getting from him is not compounded. I personally would worry more about him deviating from the loading protocol.

Default Bad reaction to Pentosan

Friends of mine recently tried this product for the first time with two of their horses. The gelding was fine, but the mare had a systemic reaction. Swollen eyes, swollen muzzle, heart rate ok, but gums rather pale and no gut sounds. They called their vet immediately, prescribed injection of Dexamethasone. As far as I know she is OK now.

This is an interesting thread. Following the loafing dose my vet prescribes 17cc a month, calculated on size. Made is about 1500 lbs. It has done wonders, but I wonder if a lower dose would do the same. I pay 200 for a 50ml bottle and vet won't do a script. The vet that I get it from is actually my backup vet. My usual vet don't even sell it to me, much less prescribe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmarezing View Post
    Yeah, I don't want him taking offense or anything which I imagine he would if I asked.
    I also think he'll say, "the product might not work as well as mine if maybe it's compounded", etc...
    My vet will not prescribe the compounded one from wedgewood but will let me order pentaussie. Smartpak and heartland VS sell it.

I ride a horse that gets Pentosan once a week. The horse's owner is a vet and sends the script to Wedgewood.

I don't understand the reluctance of some vets to provide a prescription for compounded Pentosan. My regular vet (not the horse's owner) recommends Pentaussie to clients but gets many other products from Wedgewood. My younger mare's Depo-Provera is from Wedgewood (prescribed by that same vet) as are probably half a dozen other products in the barn's medicine cabinet (all prescribed by that same vet).

That sounds like a very high dose. A 50mL bottle is less than $125 dollars, including shipping, if you order it directly from Wedgewood. The dosage is based on weight, and I give my 1250+ lb horse just over 6cc per dosage.
    Last edited by Welli; Apr. 6, 2014 at 10:15 AM.