The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tail Rx -- ideas please

After a winter of mud, and now the onset of heat behaviors, I have a couple of horses whose tails need desperate measures.

Over the years I've seen lots of suggestions, but now that I want to use them, they've gone right out of my head. And I had no luck searching. I am looking for ideas for both conditioning and whitening.

Despite the spring weather lately, it really won't be bath season for a while yet. So what I'd like to do in the meantime is work products into their tails, and then throw them in a tail bag. I'm pretty sure that's one of the suggestions I've read. I just can't remember what the products are that work well like this.

My goal of course would be to remove the tail bag in a couple of weeks, and rinse out a sparkling white, untangled showpiece of a tail. Surely that's possible, right?
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    My goal of course would be to remove the tail bag in a couple of weeks, and rinse out a sparkling white, untangled showpiece of a tail. Surely that's possible, right?
    Well, it works for my unicorn...

In all seriousness though, I wash tails thoroughly to remove any lingering gunk (gotta love mares for nasty tails). Condition tail with with a nice, thick conditioner. Leave conditioner in while using your fingers or a wide tooth comb to pick out any tangles. Rinse tail. Coat liberally with olive oil hair product. I use this. Let dry and put in tail bag. I like the three section tail bags better than the tube style, but whatever works for you is probably fine. I will do this once per week and the tails end up looking great.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Over the years, the two things I think are best for my tails are flax and Pantene conditioner. For the flax, each gets a little coffee grinder full each night. The Pantene is grocery store people hair conditioner, but I love it for my horses' tails. I keep a spray bottle with a diluted mix of it to use before I brush their tails.

Maybe I should add a third thing -- I believe in brushing their tails, lots of it, to the skin on the tailbone, but always with spray conditioner/water on it first.
    friend of bar.ka

Didn't even notice in your original post you mentioned whitening also. I use Mrs. Stewart's Bluing mixed with shampoo. I don't really have a set ratio of bluing to shampoo, I just make the shampoo blue (about the same color as the post reply button on here). Let sit on the tail for a couple minutes, but not too long or you'll end up with a blue tail. Takes the yellow right out and is much cheaper than Quicksilver.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

I use the same brand of spray on stuff as TBinColor or lusters pink hair lotion... their both found in the "ethnic hair" section lol

Stushica, have you tried the pink sheen spray? I used to use it as a finishing spray when I showed in hand. Gives a nice, natural looking shine and is better for the horse's coat than just about anything else. It does attract dust though, so it's not a great choice for arenas with dusty footing.
    Theodore Roosevelt

I Have! I like the smell and shine better than the green stuff but the green stuff seems to attract way less dirt I haven't made a decision on which one I like better yet so they're both still in my grooming box!

Cowboy Magic Detangler and Shine. I wash tails once a month, allow them to dry, coat them in Cowboy Magic, braid them up, and put them in a tail bag. Frankly, I prefer to wrap them in Guardtex, but that is out of style anymore. Style or not, I think Guradtex works better.

+1 on the Guradtex/ vetwrap, you can't accidentally tie in hairs and pull them out when you're taking off the tail bag..... I never knew fashion was involved lol

Someone posted this not too long ago. Not sure if it works, but I bookmarked it to try later: http://andalusianworld.com/blog/tag/...d-horse-tails/