The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Joint injections...how long until your horse began improving?

Just wondering what your experiences have been with joint injections? Today was my horse's 4th day since injecting his stifles, but he looks no better at all. I know 2 weeks is how long it takes for the full improvement to be seen, I was it wondering when I could expect any improvement at all?

1 members found this post helpful.

Both of my horses had hock injections at the clinic yesterday.

Both of them were bucking today in a small 40' round pen filled with clover and grass when turned out for a few minutes individually....

Time for improvement = less than 24 hours
    Inese

Quote Originally Posted by luvmydutch View Post
    Just wondering what your experiences have been with joint injections? Today was my horse's 4th day since injecting his stifles, but he looks no better at all. I know 2 weeks is how long it takes for the full improvement to be seen, I was it wondering when I could expect any improvement at all?
    Way too soon for stifles. Give it 2 weeks at least. When you say he looks no better - do you mean just walking around? What did you inject with?

He walks fine but he is still very stiff behind at the trot...a bit of toe dragging and not tracking up. He looks sore. My vet injected him with adequan, a steroid the name of which escapes me and an antibiotic

Stifles, I have been told by my super lameness guy, can take as much as three weeks to see results. So I would reserve judgement for awhile.

Stifles and lower hock joints (the usual ones we inject) are completely different animals. The stifle is an enormous, high motion joint; distal joint of the hock has the opposite properties.

In either case, the steroid breaks the cycle of inflammation. I can imagine that taking longer to work (and chill out an irritated synovium (cells that line the joint capsule and produce joint fluid)) in the big ol' stifle.

I didn't know folks injected Adequan into joints. OP, are you sure that wasn't Hyaluronic Acid? And some commonly used steroids are Vetalog and Depo medrol.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by luvmydutch View Post
    He walks fine but he is still very stiff behind at the trot...a bit of toe dragging and not tracking up. He looks sore. My vet injected him with adequan, a steroid the name of which escapes me and an antibiotic
    What schedule did your vet give you? Not sure he should be doing ANY trotting at all yet. Giving them the proper amount of rest post injection helps the injections to have the best chance of working.

Quite probably in the minority here but I didn't see any difference at all with injection in lower hocks for 2 full weeks. Nothing. Then, it was a miracle.

It is day 5 and he is already moving visibly better! I'm on cloud 9!!!