A friend swears by this mix for killing rats:
She claims it kills them because they can't burp (sorry - is there a medical term for that?).
Bonus is it is nontoxic to her chickens and my coop is where the little vermin have taken up residence.
I am wary of using poison bait due to secondary poisoning if the hens eat dead rat.
Has anyone used this?
Rats making hot cocoa? Cornbread?
*friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon: Steppin' Out 1988-2004 Hey Vern! 1982-2009 Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
FWIW I keep poison in a pet proof container (those black ones they sell for rodent poison) out by my hen coop. It's not in their actual yard, but outside the fence where the rats like to exit through a tunnel. The hens are usually NOT locked in their yard, so are out where the poison box is. Never had a problem with the hens getting a secondary dose, nor with the barn cats or the dogs.
The 1st time I saw a rat in the coop I bought poison bait and tossed it down any hole I could find inside the coop.
The very next morning I saw my hens playing keepaway with a dead rat.
Which I took away from them like a good Chicken Mom.
Coincidence? Maybe, but it made me leery of using poison.
Now the rats are so bold they peek out when I feed the hens!
I figured the homemade poison was worth a try & I'll report if it seems to work.
If not I may try the bait again in the holes since the hens don't seem interested in hunting/eating their "roommates".
I had a HUGE rat problem (smart rats too, they stayed where the dogs couldn't reach) and rat excited JRTs. I learnt if you want to use poison but not worry about the rats poisoning pets or wild life is to pulse bait. It takes days for poison to kill a rat (or more) it must be metabolized first. These metabolites are NOT toxic to dogs, wild life etc. So as long as the rat doesn't have a belly full of poison they are not toxic to those who want to play/gnaw on the bodies. (eww)
Can you explain what this is? I never want to use poison as my JRT once got a mouse that had consumed the poison and I almost lost her Would love to know of some alternatives to poison and live traps for catching vermin Thanks!
Pulse baiting uses poison. But what it does do is makes sure that a dying rodent is not going to have poison in its system. (so no risk to dogs) the only risk is if the dog gets a rat with a full belly and eats the entire stomach contents (the amount a mouse would have in it is not enough to hurt a healthy dog over 10 pounds) I had rats taking over my HOUSE! (not just barn) so I had to do something.
So you put out enough bait (poison) for the rats to eat in a day or two then remove it. The rats will live for days till the metabolites attack them. These metabolites are not poisonous to wildlife or pets. So when a pet finds a dead rodent its not poisonous.
If you're in a position to do so, put up an owl box to encourage Barn Owls. They are the world's greatest rodent controllers. One pair of barn owls, having 2 clutches per season, with an average of 4 owlets per clutch, can consume 2,000 to 3,000 rodents.
Not to mention Barn Owls are totally cool. We have a pair that nest in an old house next door to my house. They are quite chatty, you can hear them all the time at night making little shrieks and chirping noises. They don't hoot like Barred Owls or Great Horned Owls. Since my owls moved in, I don't have much of a rodent problem.
We have a Barred Owl couple that lives in the woods near our barn. If I go out early enough in the morning, I find them plucking lizards out of the grass. I imagine it's their 'bed-time' snack; it's neat to sit and watch them while sipping my morning coffee.
We used to put out our own rat formula. Mix equal parts of sugar and cement mix. Place a pan of water next to the pan with the sugar mix. Rats are drawn to the sugar, eat some of the mix and are immediately thirsty...drink some water, and presto! Dead rats.