The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Footing at Fair Hill this weekend

I haven't been up to Fair Hill and don't know what the footing is like for the horse trials this weekend. I live less than fifty miles away and our ground is like concrete. Is anybody else concerned about the footing? It is supposed to rain starting Saturday night which could help out on Sunday, but all the FEI horses will be running on Saturday which does not bode well for those who need to qualify for Jersey Fresh but are worried about their horse's soundness. Do they aerate or aggravate the course any? Has anybody been up there schooling that has an opinion on the footing?

I know in the past they have aerated when the ground was hard so I suspect they will again.

Everytime I've been there the ground has been completely soaked! This will be quite a change!

Default Footing at Fair Hill

Aerating was done at the last rain, and the course is noticeably better along the tracks.
    If there is rain, and an opportunity to aerate again, it will be done. We're trying everything we can think of to improve the footing.

I'm not competing, but nearby in Unionville our ground is rock solid. UGH.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

I'm in between Fair Hill and Unionville though my farm is close to Fair Hill. This is the dryest April and spring that I've ever seen. I'm concerned not only with the footing but drought.

I board in fair hill and ride through saw mill a few times a week. The footing has been, not surprisingly, dry and hard. It felt like the aerating helped though.

The water complex is bone dry so I guess they'll be bringing in water to fill.

New jumps are out and really nice! I love the train.

"To be loved by a horse or any animal, should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it." -Garretty

Agree with all of the above: board in West Grove and competed at Plantation last weekend. Little to no moisture in the ground at all, but rain is in the forecast. Hopefully it comes early so they can aerate the track, if not, it's going to be pretty hard.

SusanP: Amen! I'm on a well. ::

FYI: They are calling for 30% chance of showers on Wednesday afternoon and night around here so lets hope it lingers over FH (and my recently transplanted plants).
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

They aerate the tracks extensively, don't fear, they will do ALL that they possibly can. The machinery and the operator are very experienced and know the grounds like the back of his hand. It will be as War Horse said, all possible. Remember you and I don't have a $100,000 piece of machinery to aerate our backyard rings...would that I did however.

Speaking of Fair Hill, they have a large entry this time and need volunteers. Lots of XCS schooling days this year to utilize your free volunteer pass! So please email Bodgie at robobr@aol.com and give her your phone number. She will get back to you. She is sending me a message later today with her needs so I can post out what she needs in terms of volunteers for the weekend. Please consider your gift of time!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Not an eventer, but I did the Foxcatcher endurance ride there this past weekend (and it's my home training ground). Footing was dry and harder than usual but not bad- worst thing was the horrible amounts of dust YUCK!
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Good News! Rain is coming, hope it doesn't ruin your day because though we are supposed to get some showers today, they have predicted thunder storms for the weekend. Right now the sky looks really dark, I'm in New London, PA, just 10-15 minutes drive to Fair Hill. Sometimes we get rain here and not there. It's too bad that the thunderstorms are coming on the weekend when you want to ride but we really need the rain. I have a very shallow well at my house but a deep one over 200 feet at my farm near Fair Hill.

Pray for rain and safe riding.

Love your quote! Judge the heart ....

Quote Originally Posted by VicariousRider View Post
    SusanP: Amen! I'm on a well. ::

FYI: They are calling for 30% chance of showers on Wednesday afternoon and night around here so lets hope it lingers over FH (and my recently transplanted plants).