The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone used clicker training to get their horse to eat the blue pop rocks?

I had just been sprinkling them on a small amount of grain with a drizzle of oil and checking back to make sure she ate them, but clicker training sounds so efficient. Anyone tried it?

Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Yea, I'm laughing.

Too funny, this one made me laugh out loud.

oh please. If she needs them, she'll eat them.

Wrapped in clover.

I must have the ONLY horse that can pick those eensy teensy little things OUT of his food. I swear -- he gets one cup of grain with the blue stuff on top and when he's through, all the majickal blue granules are still there, lurking in the bottom of his feeder. So I pour molasses on top of them and he shlurps them up.

O.M.G. -- I just thought of something: Maybe that means BPRs are bad for him. Because horses always somehow some way know exactly what's good for them, right?

But then when I let him graze after a ride, he loves to go from clover patch to clover patch.

SOMEBODY HELP ME -- I KNOW DON'T WHAT TO DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you asked the horse what he thinks? If you truly loved your horse, you would find a way to connect with him and listen to his needs.

Chiro maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Have you asked the horse what he thinks? If you truly loved your horse, you would find a way to connect with him and listen to his needs.

Chiro maybe?
    Chiro and acupuncture just last week. Honestly.

I have asked him what he thinks. He told me to bring him peppermints and carrots and then eff off.

Mine says to bring her clover and feed it to her by hand. She'll just stand there, thank you very much, and wait while I forage.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post

Chiro maybe?
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Quote Originally Posted by stryder View Post
    I had just been sprinkling them on a small amount of grain with a drizzle of oil and checking back to make sure she ate them, but clicker training sounds so efficient. Anyone tried it?
    Yes! My red-headed mare refused to eat her blue pop rocks, but using the clicker I was able to teach her to open the bag herself (which saves my manicure!), dump them in her bin and suck them in through a straw. Not only have her ulcers gone away, but she is now clicker-training the pony next door to piaffe. It's amazing. They can also open their stall doors and have started a garden.

They aren't able to get online, because I refuse to allow them to log onto FB without supervision, but I did order heirloom seeds for them (those blue carrots) and a $2000 chicken coop from Restoration Hardware.

Awesome what observational learning can do.

Quote Originally Posted by MelantheLLC View Post
    Yes! My red-headed mare refused to eat her blue pop rocks, but using the clicker I was able to teach her to open the bag herself (which saves my manicure!), dump them in her bin and suck them in through a straw. Not only have her ulcers gone away, but she is now clicker-training the pony next door to piaffe. It's amazing. They can also open their stall doors and have started a garden.

They aren't able to get online, because I refuse to allow them to log onto FB without supervision, but I did order heirloom seeds for them (those blue carrots) and a $2000 chicken coop from Restoration Hardware.

Very impressive, but did you clicker train them to clean their own stalls yet?
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

No. I've been thinking of starting a thread about that. I have yet to figure out what would motivate them to pick up a manure fork and wondered if anyone had suggestions.

No. I've been thinking of starting a thread about that. I have yet to figure out what would motivate them to pick up a manure fork and wondered if anyone had suggestions.
    Seriously? They can open their doors and you haven't just taught them to poop outside? Can't you talk to them about that?

It probably wasn't the blue pop rocks after all. Your red-headed mare just needed a more fulfilling job. Idle hooves = ulcers, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by stryder View Post
    Seriously? They can open their doors and you haven't just taught them to poop outside? Can't you talk to them about that?
    This is a great idea! Thanks! I can train them to fertilize their own garden!

COTH rocks.

This is a great idea! Thanks! I can train them to fertilize their own garden!

COTH rocks.
    I can send you a Welsh Terrier who would love to mix it in. She could be their silent partner.

Wait a sec, wait a sec; aren't those $200 chicken coops from Williams Sonoma?

Make sure you clicker train the horse to assemble the chicken coop once it arrives. And maybe throw in an iced coffe maker in the order from WS and clicker train Horsey to serve you cool beverages after each ride.

Is ther something in the air lately? Like Sunshine, or clover, that makes everyone crazy..but funny?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Is ther something in the air lately? Like Sunshine, or clover, that makes everyone crazy..but funny?
    The source of our inspiration:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=349737

But it could be the clover. Or the sunshine. Maybe both.