The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Gee, Velvet, I'm sure that the member of Jennasis' staff that's missing has a "problem" with being in danger too.

It's part of their job. Same as the war photographers. There's a reason for the saying that a picture is worth a thousand words.

I think I'd better go post on the "I pledge" thread before I say what I really think...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> How does this differ from showing the towers being hit or collapsing? Were the deaths of those people less horrific? Less real? Does seeing an image of a person somehow make their tragedy more real? Is that a reasonable response?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DMK, my thoughts exactly. I was there, I witnessed it firsthand. I still watch the TV - and each time I see those planes crash, it is no less horiffic. This is probably the hugest tragedy EVER, in the history of the world. I think that it is important that people realize just how horrible this is. If it is too much for you, turn off the TV.

turn the tv off or watch another channel. People have the right to know what is going on and censorship is not the answer.
    Freedom of Speech.
    \"Donuts. Is there anything they can\'t do?\"
    ~Homer

I say, thank goodness we DO have photographers, reporters, etc. who are able to do their jobs, unlike in other countries. I find myself glued to CNN, but have taken breaks from time to time. I agree with others who have said that these films, photos, etc. are imperative. They will forever document this awful time in history. And we are so lucky to live in a country who allows this type of news to be known.
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

That's part of the problem...there's no other channel to turn to.

And, I've never said you can't turn off the TV, but there are many people in this world who have a 7th grade (or lower) level of education (as proven by journalisms writing standards), and they are the ones who might not understand the implications of watching something like this repeated constantly.

I just worry that those people (who are considered the majority) are going to push for a war or something else that's possibly not rational. Oh, someone will be "removed from this planet" for what happened. But will it require war to satiate a blood lust that is derived from the constant bombardment of these images? Something that might require the death of thousands of innocents, without serving the purpose we intend (of removing the leader of a terrorist group)?

I think this is why I at least want them to move on and get into the recovery part, and show the good more than the bad, at the moment. We have all seen it, we are all mourning, but we also need to know what is happening NOW.

Like I keep saying...JMHO.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Uh, Velvet, just turn OFF your TV if you're overloaded.

I think we need all of the coverage. We need to continue to be bombarded, and saddened, and angered. if we're not, then we risk going back to complacency in our nice little American bubble worlds.

But, you have the ability to turn it off if you need a break. I did last night--no TV, no radio. I needed that, too.
    Visit the County Island, home of Whiskey the ranch horse: http://countyisland.wordpress.com
    Visit him on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/WhiskeyRanch-Horse

We are hearing what is happening now. Most of the coverage is very current and forward-looking. Lots of it is about what is open and closed, roads, trains, airports, etc.

If you have no other TV channels, how about renting a movie? That's what I've done the past two nights and it has helped give me respite.

While I don't always agree with the media coverage of events - I value the fact that what I see is not censured by the people who don't want to see it and therefore think that I shouldn't see it.
    That TV has an OFF switch - I use it a lot.

BarbB

www.tapestry659.50megs.com

And I finally found it:

Europe in Mourning

JMHO
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Well, Julie... it's like The Boss (Springsteen) said... 67 channels and nothing on... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

(oh, how out of date that song is! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Shouldn't it be 967 channels and nothing on?)

I was going to note that out of 500 plus channels, there were about 10 channels with continuous newscasts, the other channels were back to regular broadcasts (most never left it), but that presupposes one has a dish or cable...
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I don't think that the people with 7th grade educations have the clout to affect what the U.S. politicians choose to do in response to the recent attack, so I'm not overly concerned about their watching the news non-stop. And, at the risk of sounding disgustingly DQish, they probably tire of this sort of news quickly and run out and rent an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie. (See Suzy duck!) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

The decision makers in our country (even if you didn't vote for them) are intelligent, well-educated people who better understand the international implications than any of us can (um, generic us. I'm sure there are probably some Middle Eastern scholars here who understand the situation quite well).

What I would like to see on the news in the near future is more history on the Middle Eastern conflict(s), the players, and what people in the know think should be the U.S.'s reponse to this. We needed to see what had happened and to take the time to grieve. Then, it's important to move forward and figure out how to handle what has happened.
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

Bumping along life\'s highway, oops, detour, welcome to Yuma, AZ.

I took the Pledge , so I will not be able to say what I truly want to say.

Velvet, turn the damn thing off and have the decency to feel what might be going on in someone else's life.

"The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!"
    \"The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!\"

Velvet...you want them to move on?????? ohmygoodness Velvet people are MISSING!! Many people do not know if their families are dead or alive!!!! They are showing their pictures on TV, hoping someone sees them. I don't think they are quite ready to move on...and I am sure that they would hope people would be more interested in this disaster, and their search for loved ones, than in reruns of Friends. This is not over. It is happening right now. As many people have stated, we are VERY lucky to have access to truthful and accurate media reports, not government regulated propeganda. This is news that is always changing, there are always new developments. I, for one, am very interested. And as for those with 7th grade educations, maybe they will learn something by watching this coverage. I am sure there are many out there who have no idea where the middle east is even located. People need to learn.

"Smart Alec

That's part of the problem...there's no other channel to turn to."

So do something else. I don't have cable so most of the channels I get are network channels where, yes, most of what's on is news. Still, there ARE other things on. You could also rent a movie, go for a walk, ride your horse, go out to eat, get a cup of coffee---all things I have done myself when I need a break. Don't blame the news because you don't have enough self control to turn away. As for other adults watching...well, whether they have a good education or not....that is their right as Americans to keep in touch with what is going on.
    Goin' back to the pledge thread now... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    ~Homer

..."people with seventh grade educations" may not need or want any one of us here on a horse bulletin board to decide what news is best for "them" to receive, and what format is best for "them" to be exposed to. Lack of formal education does not necessarily mean lack of intelligence or inability to process emotional or other information. (I'm stopping here.)

As far as "clout" goes, everyone gets to vote.

As far as knowledge of Middle Eastern life and politics, many well-educated posters here are far less well-informed than they might be (including myself), and are happy to opine nonetheless.

As far as warmongering and hostility--both of which are subject to personal interpretation as we have seen right here in the last few days--I'm not sure that that will divide along educational lines...

I am certain that extensive media coverage, analysis, and discussion of many issues associated with this disaster and its implications for our country will continue for a long while.

We can ALL learn more about terrorism and we most probably will in the future.
    Tinwhistle Farm

On the "moving on" comment, I meant move on to the CURRENT news! Not leave the topic entirely, but cover what is being done now, and stop rehashing the crashes at the moment.

Don't you want to hear about the survivors and the recovery of the dead? Yes, I see you do. That was exactly my point.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Velvet, what the hell channel are you watching? I have seen constant coverage about the rescue efforts, innumerable stories about families searching for their loved ones, and numerous mentions of the support from overseas that was mentioned in the CNN article you posted.

Yeah, they're still showing the crash footage. They're still talking about people's escapes from the towers. And three days after the fact, that footage and those stories are still incredibly powerful.

I'm honestly sitting here shaking my head, without a clue what you're complaining about. All I can say is that I sure as hell don't want to be subjected to the sanitized and artificially cheerful "news" that you seem to want. Just give me the real news, and I'll sort through it on my own.

"Not leave the topic entirely, but cover what is being done now, and stop rehashing the crashes at the moment."
    That seems to be what they ARE doing.
    Also, well said Erin, those images are ones we will not and, to be honest, should not forget.
    ~Homer

What Erin said!!!!!!!!!

NEVER FORGET