The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

That's funny ... I was about to say, if it wasn't for the media overload, I would never have seen that touching display of unity at Buckingham's changing of the guards. And for moments like that, I am truly grateful for the kind of broad coverage and new technology that our journalists provide.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Maybe what they should be doing is moving towards more of that sort of coverage, and away from those constant replays of the towers and the Pentagon?
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

NONE of you work in television news. NONE of you know...or could ever begin to know, the kind of trauma the reporters, photographers, and camermen have experienced in this tragedy. For that matter, NONE of those air-headed talentless anchor people, or station managers that get to hide behind the safety of the news desk have any idea what it was like. God willing, NONE of you ever will. I am a cameraperson....I got to see it all.

How DARE anyone of you judge us? Do you think we enjoy being out there?? Do you think we were happy to be bringing you those pictures?? Do you think we aren't saddened beyond belief to be faced with those who were in the buildings, asking them to describe what they saw?? Do you know how many reporters were crying (man and women) hysterically??

YOU WEREN'T THERE. We were. We had a job to do (awful as it was, and awful as it is). We are obligated to keep you informed. Feel free to turn off the television anytime you want.

(PS...I'm in the process of looking for a new job. I can't live like this anymore).

As far as "ending the media blitz" Velvet et al..Don't you understand that this is bigger than Pearl Harbor? Don't you understand what's happened? YOu know this is just the tip of the iceberg. we are at the threshold of what could become Worl War III, or at the very least a war of some kind.
    Remember...though eagles may soar, weasles never get sucked into a jet engine.

Soar like a weasle my friend.

Oh Jennaisis, I don't think anyone feels you enjoy this. It must be so awful to witness things in person. And I'm sorry for all of you that have to be there day after day, reliving events with rescue workers and those searching for survivors. Their stories are heartbreaking to watch from the safety and separation of my comfy living room. I wouldn't be able to bear it in person, and you are a stronger person than I am for going through it as you have.

I've seen many shots taken by camera persons whose actions, in my opinion, rival the heroism of the reporters who stayed out in the open during the London blitz to capture the story as it unfolded. I saw shots of the towers falling while everyone else was running for safety. I've heard one story of photographer who stayed while everyone else ran for safety and was literally picked off his feet and blown 10 yards by the air pressure created by on of the falling towers. No one near him was left uninjured. I doubt I'd have the courage to stay and report... my pictures would all be "here I am, running away."

But, as tragic as it is, it's history. And it needs to be documented. That documentation of prior historic events (the London blitz, Pearl Harbor, the Vietnam War, etc.) have preserved them for us and brought them to generations who were not alive to witness them.

I think most people have issues with the constant replaying of events that they're sickened by seeing. Not with the actual recording of those events. But as many have mentioned, there is an off switch to that television set.

Hang in there Jennaisis. What you must be going through makes my "bad days at the office" pale in comparison. But what you do is extremely valuable and is appreciated.

Thank you. As I wait here in the newsroom, to hear where I'll be assigned to go today...it helps to know I'm appreciated (if not by my boss, grrr....) then by you guys.

As a side note...one of our photographers is still missing. We thought we found him Wednesday night, but his family went to the hospital to ID him and it wasn't him. Prayers for his family.
    Remember...though eagles may soar, weasles never get sucked into a jet engine.

Soar like a weasle my friend.

Watching CNN helps me grieve. Tears are healthy.

It's sort of like going to a funeral. I hate funerals, but I learned how wonderful it is to let out your anger and pain. It's unhealthy to marinate in it.

Turn off your TV, and your radio. Mine will stay on.

God Bless America. Did y'all hang up a flag today?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Velvet:
    Maybe what they should be doing is moving towards more of that sort of coverage, and away from those constant replays of the towers and the Pentagon?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most of the news agencies have moved towards that kind of coverage. The human face of destruction is certainly the focus of many of the current news reports as is information about the hunt for the terrorists.
    Sorry, but I can not find fault with the way in which this has been covered in the media. IMHO, all of the journalists have done an incredible job during a very difficult time.
    And this situation is going to be going on for a long, long time.

This says it all.

Sorry, but I agree with those who are out there performing the grusome job of recording this history...In years and generations to come, their having done this will allow those in the future to understand to the fullest extent possible what actually happened. One of the freedoms that allows us all to witness these events as they happen, and then engage in free discussion of events (and to listen in as members of our media do so) is exactly what was under attack...do you think that the citizens in Iraq, Libya, or China would be so powerless against their governments if they were privy to the extent of discourse that we take for granted?

I didn't have any control being in lower NYC on Tues. morning, but I have control in turning off the television if the coverage was too much for me. As difficult as it is to watch I am able to gleem much needed information about the situation and my friends.
    After the events of this week could we please stop bickering over unimportant things and just agree to disagree.
    Thanks to all those kind New Yorkers who helped those of us that were able to walk out of lower NYC on Tuesday for all your help. As I walked north from downtown I could not believe the kindness of ordinary residents coming out of their apartments offering water, juice, wet paper towels. THANK-YOU.

I couldn't agree more with Jennasis...this is HISTORY!!! It is horrible, and it's history. Nothing like this has ever happened in out lifetimes....we need to stay informed. This is not a time to hide your head in the sand. Come on!

you've grown weary of it doesn't mean it's not big news to everyone else, Velvet. How would you feel if you had a missing family member in Manhattan and lived in, say, California?

You need to accept responsibility for yourself. Walk away from the TV when you get overloaded. I watched intently on Tuesday, and didn't watch much coverage again until last night.

Robby
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

... because I was also initially upset by the networks that chose to show that footage...

But this is what I have to ask of those that felt showing us a person falling to their death was inappropriate. How does this differ from showing the towers being hit or collapsing? Were the deaths of those people less horrific? Less real? Does seeing an image of a person somehow make their tragedy more real? Is that a reasonable response?

Also, on another thread I read that someone felt that showing the images over and over numbed us to the tragedy of it all. I suspect we are numb because that is how we will cope with it, and has nothing to do with seeing the image over and over. If you were eyewitness, I'm sure your mind's eye is replaying it at a far greater frequency than the media.

And maybe I am different, but I cannot watch footage of the USS Arizona and other ships at Pearl Harbor without feeling grief and anger, I cannot watch the Zapruder film without crying and feeling helpless, I cannot see that footage outside that hotel in Memphis without feeling an incredible sense of loss. With the exception of the Zapruder film, I was not present at any of these events (and quite truthfully I was way to young to understand what happened that day in Dallas), but I have a sense of grief and understanding that is real and acute. I suspect this is in part due to the historic footage. I doubt I will EVER truly be numb to the events of September 11, 2001.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

When I was in elementary school, JFK was murdered. Our teachers cried, the school bus driver cried and we got shipped out of school quickly.
    My dad came home from work and he and my mom cried. They sat us down for DAYS in front of the black & white TV. We watched the funeral (remember the horse with the boots turned backwards?).
    Mom and dad wanted us to grieve with "the whole country." It was a lesson in unity. And thank god we had that lesson.
    Thank god we have the press (right or wrong) to show us the awful truth, rather than government fabricated news!

I watched TV the first night for 1/2 hour. In that time, I was able to get a pretty good idea of what had happened. Since then, I've listened to the radio back and forth to work and spent a fair amount of time on the internet. I don't need or want to see people jumping out of the WTC. The situation is so horrific already; and what about the family and friends of those people jumping? Is there no compassion for them? I also worry about children who aren't particularly well-supervised watching images like this. Freedom of the press is one thing, but displaying images of people leaping to their deaths is something else. It reminds me of when Princess Diana was dying and photographers were photographing that. It makes me sick to my stomach to this day that people could be so callous. I see it as a lack of humanity. As another poster mentioned, it's also disturbing that the most violent movies are the biggest box office hits. What type of society are we creating?
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

I had a long conversation with my brother - he and his girlfriend have several friends in NYC, one who worked in the WTC, but was in her company's Hartford, Conn. office on Tuesday, and my brother's most recent ex-girlfriend lives within blocks of the WTC. He said he had spoken with a friend who is a professional cameraman/film editor, etc. who had stated that he was appalled at the constant re-showing of the crashes WITHOUT sound. His point, as a professional who edits film to create effects, was that such silent repetition of these images can become desensitizing. There have already been comments about "movie special effects" - and this adds to that "unreality."

The other news coverage may be repetitive, but probably is necessary. It would seem/be insensitive to return to soaps and the like so soon, much as a relief as that might be (i.e., a return to normalcy, if we ever can), and it is, as they say, an on-going crisis. And yes, the Buckingham Palace Changing of the Guard was very touching.

I didn't find it callous at all. Disturbing, horrifying, unimaginable. Those words came to mind. But I never once thought to blame the photographers/videographers who took those shots. They were recording facts.
    It's important to note and record everything that happens. When the air vaccum caused by the explosion and susequent explosions of the glass windows caused those poor souls to be literally sucked out of the buildings, as horrible as it is, it will have an impact on future high rise planning and design. And will hopefully save lives in the future.
    IMHO, some good may eventually come out of the decision to show/record this shocking image.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Why can't they have updates running across the bottom of the screen and show other reports (like they did with the return of a few news shows the other night) instead of beating the bushes for more ideas to fill the gaps (and repeating the same images over, and over again)?

I like to stay informed, I'm just concerned with the sensory overload, as others are also pointing out.

And as for news people going into the line of danger to report it, I have always had a problem with that. Do they really have to be in a burning building, forcing firefighters to possibly put themselves in more danger just to make sure that the reports are not injured? I feel like the media more often gets in the way and creates their own stories, rather than reporting what is going on and letting other professionals do their job. Haven't they realized that the impact of a persons story is often as good as the pictures they take? Haven't they proven that with their eyewitnesses that they've been bringing on their shows?

I just don't think we need a million pictures, nor hundreds more people (often reporters) getting into danger during already perilous situations.

Maybe that's just my opinion, and that's okay. This is not meant to be inflammatory, it's just something I often feel when watching sensationalistic news.

Like I said before, is the tail wagging the dog? Does the public want it only because the media is spoon feeding it to us? If they stopped, would people really be upset? Or would they be okay after a bit of withdrawal, and resetting of expectations?
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I don't think anyone was directing their comments at the newspeople and photographers who (like you) are in the trenches. I, personally, feel that the people back at the station who are deciding what gets released and what doesn't need to more carefully review the material before releasing it. As far as documenting this event because of its historical significance -- YES, absolutely; I agree that it must be documented. There are going to be repercussions from this that stretch well into the future, so we should keep good "records" of what happened. I'd just like to see more compassion shown for the family members of those people photographed. I would be beside myself if it was my mother, father, husband, or whomever shown jumping from the building.

And, Jennasis, I know that there are a lot of brave and compassionate newspeople/photographers on the scene who are appalled and heartsick as they record this event. I don't envy them their job, and I'm grateful that they are bringing us the news. My finger pointing is at the people at the news stations who I think could show better judgment in what they publicize. You are doing a tough job that has to be done.
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

One man whose wife's message on their answering machine in her final minutes gave the tape to news media - he said that by them playing it over and over it makes her real, not just a number amidst the huge numbers who died. Every one of us has a point at which we can't watch/listen any more. Then you have the freedom to do something else. Those who want/need more information have the freedom to do so. That's what makes this country what it is.

Velvet, I live in New York City below 14th Street. I had to show identification to get home last night. I have friends who have family who are missing and presumed dead. I watched the towers crumble from my bosses window. I have friends who have been trying to reach me all week from around the country who can't get through because phone lines are overloaded.

From my perspective, close to ground zero, the visual images are horrific, but I and everyone else I know who lives here is glued to the tv and/or radio waiting for updates. Most of the coverage I have watched and listened to has been informative, empathetic and remarkably accurate.

As others have said, if you don't want to feel sensory overload, stop watching. I watched a movie the other night for a couple of hours and it brought welcome relief. Today I will ride my horse. But when I want to know the latest, it's okay with me to see the visuals. I saw them live anyway, they aren't leaving my head anytime soon.