The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Does your trainer/barn have rules on matching gear?

My brother just bought a pre-green hunter that is in training with a trainer out of state. Apparently, when she picked up the Hanovarian mare and met with my brother, she gave him a list of "requirements" which included certain color and embroidered sheets and blankets, certain color leg wraps, a certain type of tack box, etc. etc. My brother's stuff has compiled into mine over the years and so he needed to purchase all new things anyways, but has anyone else encountered this? Let me give you an example from the list:
    REQUIRED FOR EACH INDIVIDUAL HORSE, REGARDLESS OF OWNER SITUATION
    -1 Medium Sized Warner Trunk with custom panelling (see me about contact ordering info); Triple Crown trunk cover in these colors (A and B, left out intentionally not to have the trainer recognizable) with this logo and (or) monogram. Trunks which owner previously acquired are acceptable as long as: any previous logo panels are stripped and replaced with correct panelling OR (if wood) correct trunk cover is purchased. Note: Must be standard medium sized.

Yikey!

Thanks,
    She's Got Questions
    {you've got answers}
    Thanks,
    She\'s Got Questions
    {you\'ve got answers}

Does your trainer/barn have rules on matching gear?

My brother just bought a pre-green hunter that is in training with a trainer out of state. Apparently, when she picked up the Hanovarian mare and met with my brother, she gave him a list of "requirements" which included certain color and embroidered sheets and blankets, certain color leg wraps, a certain type of tack box, etc. etc. My brother's stuff has compiled into mine over the years and so he needed to purchase all new things anyways, but has anyone else encountered this? Let me give you an example from the list:
    REQUIRED FOR EACH INDIVIDUAL HORSE, REGARDLESS OF OWNER SITUATION
    -1 Medium Sized Warner Trunk with custom panelling (see me about contact ordering info); Triple Crown trunk cover in these colors (A and B, left out intentionally not to have the trainer recognizable) with this logo and (or) monogram. Trunks which owner previously acquired are acceptable as long as: any previous logo panels are stripped and replaced with correct panelling OR (if wood) correct trunk cover is purchased. Note: Must be standard medium sized.

Yikey!

Thanks,
    She's Got Questions
    {you've got answers}
    Thanks,
    She\'s Got Questions
    {you\'ve got answers}

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

But why a Medium Trunk?
    I thought everyone bought the Large size? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Yes, many large barns have such requirements. And even more have such unspoken requirements.

*~*~Lauryn*~*~*~
    <3 Justice Served <3
    <3 Nip N Tuck <3

and what if someone poor but handy had a lovely trunk, in wood, and made a cover? OR....horrors.....what if someone just couldn't AFFORD to buy all new colors of items?

HOW common is this? And what level/price of boarding are we talking about? I noticed "assorted color" trunks outside the stalls at WIHS, so it can't be ALL "A" circuit barns that do this. I can tell you that I certainly could not afford to replace my horse's tack box (a nice Rubbermaid one, btw) or clothing for any such trivial nonsense as this.

Barns tend to like all of their stuff to match so many pressure you into buying new tack trunks. Having been at a number of barns and dealt with this a few times, I just started refusing. Those things are bloodly expensive - I had nice wooden trunks from one barn that I was at, and after removing the logo on the front of the trunks they did not clearly indicate which barn I had previously trained with. I kept them at barns subsequent to the one at which I had acquired them. Most barns have an aisle in which they will "hide" the non-matching tack turnks.

That said, I finally capitulated and bought new trunks last year when I decided that I was going to be at this barn for a while and my old ones were getting disreputable. If you have trunks with colored panels and you want new colored panels, you can just have the new panels made and that cuts down on the expense. Also, I took a colored panel trunk (green and yello - ick) and had it turned into a wood trunk.

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

I sold my panel trunk and bought a wood and brass trunk. I will change covers if I HAVE to, but I am not buying a new trunk.
    But I agree on things matching. It is pretty. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hopeful Hunter:

HOW common is this? And what level/price of boarding are we talking about? I noticed "assorted color" trunks outside the stalls at WIHS, so it can't be ALL "A" circuit barns that do this. I can tell you that I certainly could not afford to replace my horse's tack box (a nice Rubbermaid one, btw) or clothing for any such trivial nonsense as this.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's quite common. At WIHS, the shipping rules made it so that very few barns had more than one or two horses there at a time, and you weren't allowed any tack or grooming stalls, so there was more than one barn to an aisle, accounting for the "assorted colors", and for "creative" storage solutions [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    At our barn, we encourage matching colors for trunks, and STRONGLY encourage them for show clothes (ie if you don't own the proper color cooler it's coming to the ring wearing someone else's). However, with barn blankets it's not a big deal, and the off color trunks just get hidden in the back. Those things beyond help get accidentally left home until someone gets smart [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hopeful Hunter:
    and what if someone poor but handy had a lovely trunk, in wood, and made a cover? OR....horrors.....what if someone just couldn't AFFORD to buy all new colors of items?

HOW common is this? And what level/price of boarding are we talking about? I noticed "assorted color" trunks outside the stalls at WIHS, so it can't be ALL "A" circuit barns that do this. I can tell you that I certainly could not afford to replace my horse's tack box (a nice Rubbermaid one, btw) or clothing for any such trivial nonsense as this.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The people that can afford to board at these barns to begin with are usually people who can afford to buy all new items

*~*~Lauryn*~*~*~
    &lt;3 Justice Served &lt;3
    &lt;3 Nip N Tuck &lt;3

I've heard of this, but it's nothing I've experienced. My barn has colors, but my individual colors seem to be "whatever is on sale." Those people who go away overnight to show pretty much just have stuff that's "presentable." And my trainer is quite adamant that tack and attire will be well fitted, clean, and matching (though she doesn't go so far as to insist tack all be the same brand, you just can't have a "havana" martingale, "honey" saddle and "nutmeg" bridle--unless it's all been saddle soaped enough that it all pretty much looks the same).

Good thing I'm not at one of these top barns! Whatever would they think of my giant rubbermaid? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] (Although I wonder whether that would be considered "presentable"--good thing I'm not going to any overnight shows yet!)

It is common but usually if you put your foot down they won't MAKE you purchase all new stuff right away. The trainer can also recommend people who aren't at her barn anymore or who quit riding that have used merchandise to sell (especially trunks). ali

I know this is common practice at a lot of barns but I think it is ridiculous. I own the horse and I pay the bills so when he goes to the ring he is going in the cooler or fly sheet that are MY colors and I have no interest in buying stuff in someone else's colors (they probably aren't as pretty as mine [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ). Oh well, I guess it is a good thing that I don't ride with a BNT.

~One day my mind just wandered and it never came back~
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

We are a fairly large stable with 30 plus boarders and over 100 students. When we first moved here a year ago, all sorts of RUMORS started flying about us. LIKE........... we made our students wear proper attire to school. that we were required to have barn shirts or you could not ride, that we INSISTED that all horses had matching colors....I could go on and on....
    When it all comes down to it....if the kids want to ride in sport bras and chaps...more power to them, I am the guilty one of mis-matching polos, as well as taking the kids to the tack shops and buying the most wild patterns we can find!
    Matter of opinion...yes....BUT I would hope that any trainer would be more concerned with the horse being comfortable, properly trained and taken care of rather then color matching.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Is this just another form of control over the owner for the BNT?

After all, if you just sunk $2000 extra into getting the required equipment and matching trunks, wouldn't that be one more little reason that would make a person want to stay?

Who knows...it probably does look pretty, and full training w/ some of the BNTs is probably in the stratosphere (for me) anyway. I'd say if you are scrimping your pennies to afford your horse, you aren't worrying about sending a horse to a BNT for full training. What would that run? $1000/month training+show expenses+board/vet/shoes? So, to field a horse w/ a BNT runs what? 1500-5000 a month? I'm just guessing, so feel free to correct my guesses.

So, I guess if you are at that level of the game, you just pay up the next level. Kinda like that country club membership where you are required to use $xxx per month at the bar/restaurant and you pay that whether you use it or not.

You would think these damm places would get wise and RENT this stuff to their clients at inflated prices! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

most everything in our barn matches, like blankets, coolers, trunks, drapes, etc. and if someone has a diff. color trunk or blanket....o well, its easy to get the trunk re-paneled w/o having to buy a whole new one. and for those who already have blankets when they come to our barn, if they dont match who cares, but if you are going to go buy something new, you always buy the barn colors to start with. so my trainer tries to make most things match so it all looks nice.

~*~Rosey~*~
    Who's That
    Picasso
    Code of Honor
    Mikhail
    http://www.willowayfarm.com

MAybe it's all a conspirancy, and each barn gets a 10 % commision for every tan and green trunk they sell!!

Disclaimer, that tan and green was JUST an example, am not refering to any particular barn [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

*~*~Lauryn*~*~*~
    &lt;3 Justice Served &lt;3
    &lt;3 Nip N Tuck &lt;3

Questions:

Does your horse have to match the other horses?

Will your horse be evicted if he has *gasp* uneven socks?

Have you noticed that all the other riders have this funny goose step and none of them have new boots?

If this trainer will bring your brother to the top and he can afford it and live with it, go ahead.

Why don't barns rent the trunks and misc. gear (and charge you for any damages incurred), or have them pre-made and sell them to customers at inflated prices? ie: "We even save you the trouble of ordering the trunk, paying for shipping, and waiting for it to get here; we already have some available!"

But I think that for the big show barns, matching stuff (or at least sensible stuff, like wood trunks) are important. At my barn, there is a prime example WHY: a boarder, who subsequently sold her horse and all its belongings to the barn owner, had a custom trunk made in NEON PINK [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] with the trim, monogram, and her full name on top IN TEAL. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] I mean, the thing practically glows in the dark. When the barn doors are open, you can see it from the road (approx. 200 yards away) when you drive by! It is blinding to look at, it's so obnoxiously bright. I can't imagine ANY trainer allowing that thing in their tack room at a show, or in the aisle at their barn (at the barn where the horse was previously boarded, the trunk was hidden away in a back garage, with the excuse that there was "no room" in the barn. We thought that was odd until we went to the garage to help her bring the trunk up. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] ).

With regards to the pink trunk, does anyone know where you can order new custom panels, and how much they cost? I know the barn owner is VERY interested in having this done. Right now, she tries to diffuse its glow under a big navajo pad. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

But this is a prime example as to why some people sometimes aren't allowed to have their own custom-colored trunks at big show barns. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

~Sara [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

"If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bull." -Bart Simpson

Member of the Dirt Divers 78th Airborne Unit, ATH Squadron

Well, this is a great opportunity for me to vent! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

My trainer just called to inform me she wants $75.00 up front for "supplies" for the away show (i.e., landscaping) plus $27.00 for my horse's stall nameplate that matches every one elses. Okay. I have umpteen horses that invariably get shown at some point. Can't they masquerade as each other? Like, is someone really wandering the barn aisle reading nameplates? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Well, wait til my trainer finds out that I no longer have my big Warner's trunk. And the cover that matches her show colors doesn't fit the trunk I AM bringing, so I guess I'll be the hoodlum once again, stuck at the end of the barn, with a wool cooler draped over the top of the trunk lest it upset the barn's feng shui.

I can't wait for show season to be over so I can just ride my palomino on the trails. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]