The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I used to be a supplement junkie . Then I realized that the hoof supplement, coat supplement, antioxidant, multi-vitamin, and 2 joint supplements probably weren't necessary.

So currently the only supplement I actually get in Smartpak form is SmartVite EZ Keeper Grass. I buy msm from Smartpak in bulk as well.

From ValleyVet I get Corta-Flx and Flex-Force HA, a combo that isn't terribly expensive and actually works for the horse I'm using it on.

Oh yes and both my horses get loose salt, the grocery store variety.
    Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

SmartVite EZ Keeper
    msm from Smartpak
    Corta-Flx and Flex-Force HA
    You *used to be* a supplement junkie!?
    Click here before you buy.

My horse WAS on:

EZ Keeper Grass Multi Vit
    SmartHoof
    SmartFlex
    Omega Horseshine

Now he's on the TSC version of the first three, plus the Horseshine, for a savings of about $10/mon.
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

I use the SmartCombo and SmartLytes. The combo has smartflexII, smarthoof, smartdigest and smartshine.

My mare only gets alfalfa pellets at feeding time (no grain or fortified feeds), so she is on one of the SmartVites to make sure she's getting amino acids, etc.

She also gets MSM.

That's all! Two little wells, once a day.

I hardly think a multi-vitamin (used on an easy keeper that gets no grain and a lower quality hay), 2 joint supplements which have different ingredients (tell me all you want they don't work but the visible improvement in my horse since starting them will keep me buying), and MSM for allergy "itchy" issues counts as a supplement junkie.

Multi-vite and joint for one horse, msm for the other. So no, not a supplement junkie, just someone that appreciates her horses being happy and comfortable.
    Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

I don't do the smartpaks but I like:

1. MSM -have used the pellets by SmartPak and if I was already ordering I would get this again. Otherwise I get the basic stuff from the local feed store.

2. Multivitamin (Vita Flex?) Its from Fleet Farm
    ---- was doing probiotics (ProBlance from SmartPak-love it)

My horse is on Nutrena Boost Rice Bran in addition to regular feed so I don't add in any extra flax seed type stuff.

If I need any joint care I do adequan/legend im/iv. I'm done paying for oral supps.

I have noticed a real difference in my horses' condition doing this program to balance out his nutrition. He came to me needing a good dose of TLC, underweight with major worms and possibly mild ulcers. His coat is coming in darker this spring and is much softer, he has lots of energy and is very happy.

The only reason I am doing MSM right now is he is starting in dressage and I had a nightmare with ringbone/hock arthritis with my older horse so I am paranoid LOL.

My guy is on Smart Flex and Tri-Amino in his Smartpak. He also gets Omega HorseShine, but I buy that in the 20 lb bag rather than add it to his Smartpak because it is insanely cheaper that way.

SmartFlex Senior and SmartLytes.
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

Smart Gut
    Smart Breathe
    Yucca Powder

I have tried a few of the joint supplements and couldn't find something that was effective that my horse would eat (he's extremely picky)
    He eats all of the above, doesn't cough, doesn't seem to have any tummy issues any more and I'm not really sure if the yucca is really working or not but he seems better on it than he was before. It's cheap enough that I will feed it til I run out then see if there is a difference when he goes off it.

I don't use the Smartpaks, but my mare and gelding (each around 17 years old) both get TriSport from Horsetech (1/2 dose) and SmartHoof.

My gelding also does not drink enough water unless it is really hot out, so he also gets loose salt from fall through spring.

1 gets:
    smartflexsenior joint, smartbugoff
    and the other gets:
    cocosoya, smartbugoff

We've got a rule now at our barn that the only supplements we'll feed have to be prescribed by the vet, and for a specific actual condition. Otherwise with dozens of horses and owners The SmartPak Religion can get totally out of control. I feel uncomfortable with something that looks like a chem-lab in my feed room, and to an old-timer like me a lot of this stuff seems totally silly. I've also got some serious questions I wonder if anyone here can answer?

(1) SmartPak's formulas for their "house" brand seem to be proprietary--IOW, no list of ingredients. What's really in "SmartAnything?" How can we find out?

(2) Where is this stuff procured/produced? In what countries is it sourced? Who does quality control? How do you know it's even what they say it is, and in the right quantity? Who has done any research to show that some of these items are even safe or appropriate? That huge slug of paprika and cinnamon for "dark coats" comes to mind. How do some of these more exotic substances interact with various feeds or vet-prescribed meds? Does anyone even know?

Gotta hand it to 'em, the marketing is sheer genius. Every aspect of American life has become hyper-medicalized, but too often I think owners are either treating things that aren't there, treating it "holistically" when better-proven ways exist, or think "if a little's good, more's better." I tell 'em a better idea might be to pay their vet and farrier bills on time . . .

Quote Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
    We've got a rule now at our barn that the only supplements we'll feed have to be prescribed by the vet, and for a specific actual condition. Otherwise with dozens of horses and owners The SmartPak Religion can get totally out of control. I feel uncomfortable with something that looks like a chem-lab in my feed room, and to an old-timer like me a lot of this stuff seems totally silly. I've also got some serious questions I wonder if anyone here can answer?

(1) SmartPak's formulas for their "house" brand seem to be proprietary--IOW, no list of ingredients. What's really in "SmartAnything?" How can we find out?

(2) Where is this stuff procured/produced? In what countries is it sourced? Who does quality control? How do you know it's even what they say it is, and in the right quantity? Who has done any research to show that some of these items are even safe or appropriate? That huge slug of paprika and cinnamon for "dark coats" comes to mind. How do some of these more exotic substances interact with various feeds or vet-prescribed meds? Does anyone even know?

Gotta hand it to 'em, the marketing is sheer genius. Every aspect of American life has become hyper-medicalized, but too often I think owners are either treating things that aren't there, treating it "holistically" when better-proven ways exist, or think "if a little's good, more's better." I tell 'em a better idea might be to pay their vet and farrier bills on time . . .
    Smartpak does list the ingredients for their products. You have to click "Product Details" and then "Ingredients."

I would be happier if they listed the source of ingredients such as glucosamine, etc. That's why I generally prefer the HorseTech products, because they do list the source for at least some of their items. Their MSM, for example, is manufactured in the US. They use Zinpro trace minerals, but I'm not sure where they are obtained/manufactured.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post

If you go to the product on the website, scroll down a little, and click on "Product Details", you can click on "Declared Ingredients" and "Other Ingredients" that provide a list of ingredients and the amount per serving. If that's not what you're looking for then if you contact the company they can probably help you out with what you want to know...