The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I agree with the suggestion of Tack Shack Ocala... they are super helpful! They can do all sorts of handmade leather items and nameplates. And if you ever get a chance to go to Ocala, visit their store! Its heaven!!

The answer to the snap in or out question is easily solved by just not having a snap. I hate them. The horror stories of in and out are just a couple of reasons why.

My prefer halter, for even every day, is full leather, english chin, NO throat latch closure, double buckle crown.

I'll be the odd one out with Quillen's. I was thoroughly unimpressed by the halter I ordered, to the point I contacted them to see if there had been a mistake. The response I got was pretty perfunctory and didn't really answer my question, leaving me to have to go look on their website and try to figure out if my halter was normal or not. I still don't really know the answer -- if it's normal, I think the design sucks. If it's not normal, customer service was underwhelming at best and it frankly wasn't worth the effort of working with them anymore. I just won't order from them again.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyVagrant View Post
    I'll be the odd one out with Quillen's. I was thoroughly unimpressed by the halter I ordered, to the point I contacted them to see if there had been a mistake. The response I got was pretty perfunctory and didn't really answer my question, leaving me to have to go look on their website and try to figure out if my halter was normal or not. I still don't really know the answer -- if it's normal, I think the design sucks. If it's not normal, customer service was underwhelming at best and it frankly wasn't worth the effort of working with them anymore. I just won't order from them again.
    Just curious--what was the issue? I've had perhaps a half dozen halters from them and I've never had anything about them that's made me question the design...

Second vote for Albright's or Danzig Brothers, love both.

There was a leather goods vendor at Rolex a few years ago ('07?) from whom I bought the BEST leather halter- nothing fancy, but durable and very nice-looking and, as I remember, incredibly affordable. Darned if I can remember the name though...

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Just curious--what was the issue? I've had perhaps a half dozen halters from them and I've never had anything about them that's made me question the design...
    The leather on the throat latch looked backwards - rough edge facing out and rolled edge facing the cheek / throat I thought it looked horribly unfinished and unpolished. Not the end of the world but their responses made me feel like it was going to be a huge hassle to get them to understand my concern if it would even get fixed. So I saved myself the effort and cut my losses.

The leather on the throat latch looked backwards - rough edge facing out and rolled edge facing the cheek / throat I thought it looked horribly unfinished and unpolished. Not the end of the world but their responses made me feel like it was going to be a huge hassle to get them to understand my concern if it would even get fixed. So I saved myself the effort and cut my losses.
    Hmmm. Yeah, pretty sure that's standard for them. I never thought it looked poorly, though--perhaps yours wasn't finished properly? I will see if I can get some pics of the newish one I have in the barn.

I wish I had the money and need to justify a Walsh halter. I think they are quite nice, and you can get them English or buckle chin or throatlatch snap or no.
    Why do I work two jobs to support a horse I don't have time to ride?

I will admit I am waaaay too lazy to reach up, flap things over the tops of heads and buckle crownpieces every time I want a halter on and off. Even though mine literally wear them for like 10 minutes a day, tops, I can handle the risk of clipped eyelids or foreign bodies attaching themselves to the sides of the halter.

I have officially added "new show halter for Bonnie" to the Rolex shopping list, and could be talked into replacing Boscoe's because it has the loathsome adjustable chin.
    Click here before you buy.

Central Kentucky Tack and Leather--- cheaper than Quillan's. They are located at The Thoroughbred Center in Lexington, near to the Horse Park. They may have a booth at Rolex again this year as well.
    The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
    Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
    Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

Albrights has great halters and the best name plates.

Perri's Leather has great halters and they are wonderful to deal with. I just spoke to them yesterday and they will be at Rolex.

http://www.perrisleather.com/

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I will admit I am waaaay too lazy to reach up, flap things over the tops of heads and buckle crownpieces every time I want a halter on and off. Even though mine literally wear them for like 10 minutes a day, tops, I can handle the risk of clipped eyelids or foreign bodies attaching themselves to the sides of the halter.

I have officially added "new show halter for Bonnie" to the Rolex shopping list, and could be talked into replacing Boscoe's because it has the loathsome adjustable chin.
    If the priority is value for the money, I'll chip in a vote for kyhorse.com. But frankly, all the companies mentioned so far make decent products.

If the adjustable chin is the only beef, consider having the halter repaired/revised to an English chin. That's probably cheaper than getting a new one. I'd get on the phone with Clever with Leather and/or Quillins and see if they could have it ready for you by Rolex if you mail it to them now.

Quote Originally Posted by scubed View Post
    Nicest halter I ever gotten is from Tack Shack Ocala. http://www.tackshackocala.com/ You can call and get them to make any color, etc. I quite like, but don't love Quillen's.
    Another vote for Tack Shack of Ocala, and echoing the sentiment on Quillin... and maybe even "quite like" is an understatement. I decided to get new barn halters and did a boatload of research and comparison between Quillin, Albright, KYHorse, Tack Shack of Ocala, Walsh, and about 3 other places. I ended up ordering from Tack Shack... and then starting using my Tack Shack halters all the time, getting rid of my Walsh show-use only halters. Have never looked back.

Tack Shack will do just about anything you want - they custom-sized my mare's halter for no additional charge. And an English chin or adjustable chin, same price. Double-buckle crown is standard. No additional charge for a triple-stitched nose on their sale halter. If I remember correctly, Quillin charges more for that. Quillin charges more for all of these things. Quillin does have the better plates, though.

I would still like to see an Albright's in person, but even if I never do, I am totally okay with never buying another halter from anywhere but Tack Shack of Ocala.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Cool R.E.FENNELLS ~ RED MILE TRACK ` LEXINGTON, KY.

R.E. FENNELLS ``` WILL MAKE UP ANYTHING YOU WANT IF YOU DON'T SEE IT ON THE WALLS...

THEY HAVE 'FIXED' CHIN LEATHER HALTERS ```
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

You guys are killing me. Rory does NOT need or even deserve a new halter, he's still growing AND he occasionally still has brain farts and pulls back.

Ughhhh...

Want....
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Default For every day ...

Quote Originally Posted by Pussy Cat View Post
    Perri's Leather has great halters and they are wonderful to deal with. I just spoke to them yesterday and they will be at Rolex.

http://www.perrisleather.com/
    I have a couple of Perri's from Jeffers that I use for turnout and I've been very happy. Some would say not show quality b/c the fittings aren't solid brass, but very workmanlike for daily use--you know, the ones you will risk tying up with .
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

The Tack Shack of Ocala, and, you can get a FB coupon off your first purchase (Or, you used to be able to...)

I also like the Walsh 3/4" halters.

Both brands hold up to everyday wear & clean up beautifully. I don't turn mine out with halters on, but mine are often out 24/7 as they have paddocks off their stalls -- and the halter's can be found hanging on my fence post in the sun, snow, rain, wind, 0f - 100f...built to last, the leather feels a million times better than some of the standard Amish leather products which crack & are hard after one season.

just wanted to say that i had about the same experience and after reading your post went and looked - and yup my Quillin has the exact same issue as yours - the throat piece is backwards with the stitched part facing out - and every other halter i own has it facing in. And you are right - it just looks - wrong.....

now i am even sadder i spent 80 on this particular halter : (

DW- Albrights will be at Rolex and can do the nameplates right there. You know, instant gratification and all that. All of mine are Albrights and I they hold up great.

Nancy