The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Source for nice leather halters with "fixed" chins?

Hoping scubed will clue me in because Keebler's halter is the one I like and he came with it . . . although I prefer brown. (and yes, it has been a YEAR since he's broken a halter!)

Looking to replace some show halters this year and I am DONE messing around with those sloppy adjustable-chin ones. Give me fixed straps under the chin, please! But where to buy them? (preferably a place that will also put on name plates)

Thanks.
    Click here before you buy.

Try some places that specialize in race horse stuff.

Quillens is awesome, I've ordered from them. Very soft though, and the rough boys outside broke it. Shouldn't be a problem if they aren't turned out in them.
    http://quillin.com/jshop/

Hilltop Leather is another good one
    http://www.hilltopleather.com/

Are you going to Rolex? I got a beautiful halter there last year and they put a plate on while I waited. Can't remember the name of the place for the life of me though.

http://www.danzigbros.com/

Not only are their halters gorgeous and excellent quality, they are very inexpensive.

1 members found this post helpful.

http://www.albrighthalters.com/

Albrights Halters. Absolutely wonderful. I have been buying them for years. I have some that are 6 years old and I leave the halters outside in the sun and rarely care for them and they hold up to the abuse. They do put plates on. You can order English Chin and it is fixed. I buy the Leather Track Halter. Triple stitched.

Default Nice halters.

cleverwithleather.com They engrave halter plates, and put them on, as well as making halters, belts, etc.

Their web site doesn't show much, but they are approachable via phone.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Oh, that's called the English chin. I get mine from
    www.kyhorse.com super work, good value, hold up really well.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

I like my Quillin halter, a lot, and would do it again. DO measure before you buy, though. I'm glad I did, because I've seen some "horse" sized Quillins on smaller TB heads and they SWIM in them. I think Toby is a "2". And the price is great!

Nicest halter I ever gotten is from Tack Shack Ocala. http://www.tackshackocala.com/ You can call and get them to make any color, etc. I believe Keebler's came from dressage extensions during a sale, so not sure that source is still good. Danzig Bros also very nice. I have halters from them and they will do custom. Love the padding. I quite like, but don't love Quillen's. If Keebler needs a halter, we should shop for one together during Rolex, when a lot of leather folks will be there.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I got the small track halter from Quillin for my horse (who normally wears cob size). It is triple stitched with an English chin and looks and feels awesome.

I get all my halters from Bartville. Also nice because I can have them put a cob noseband on so Its not so big around my mare's delicate muzzle.

Quillin is the best! Very reasonable and beautiful quality.

All my guys are cob, so all these places do well fitting cob halters. I prefer the others to Quillins because I love the softly padded halter and Quillin's does not do that as much, on the other hand, I have a friend totally into blue and am thinking about buying her a couple of the blue leather ones from Quillins when I am at Rolex
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I agree with scubed, I'm a padded leather halter fan myself. I have an old padded one, I believe a Tory, in a color not so flattering for my seal brown or bay baby. I threw it on for registration pictures and was like "meh." I keep saying we have to wait for retarded WB babyness to end, but I don't want to wait until he's seven . I've been eyeing the Danzig.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Are you coming to Rolex? Claire with Clever with Leather will be there and will have her halters with her. If she doesn't have what you want, you can personally talk with her and get it exactly right. She is fantastic (Is a good saddle fitter too!)
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

I'm not as big a fan of padded, just plain leather for me.

Keebs' halter is still in great shape and he still has a spare floating around that looks to be identical. Not much of an opportunity to destroy tack on stall rest. However, I look forward to his attempts (and double-haltering when tied to the trailer) very soon!

Thanks for all the info--maybe I will do some searching at Rolex. My shopping list is quite pitiful so far. Clever with Leather re-did the billets on my (scubed's) Devoucoux dressage saddle and the leather is so nice I catch myself fondling the billets!

English chin. Good to know!

Another vote for Quillin. LOVE them. And their dog collars, too!

When at home, I use the Tack Shack in Ocala, but that is only because I can't get to Allbright's as easily. My Tack Shack halters are lovely, BUT, I haven't had them last as well as the ones from Allbright's. I have only one Qulllen's, and it has lasted pretty well.

I know no one else will have this problem, but interestingly, the only ones ever chewed on in my tack room are the ones I've gotten from the Tack Shack. Weird. Seems to be something in their tanning or conditioning process that was more attractive to pests.

But, if you are going to Rolex, that is Mecca for finding halters and I'd do it there!

And, yes, English Chin only, and snap added facing outward, please! =)

Have fun shopping -- if you need to add to your shopping list, I can send you a list of my own! =)

libby
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Lightbulb

Be aware that " Clever with Leather" is in Versailles now.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Oh, Libby, why "snap facing outward"? That is one of those eternal questions that divides nations and turns brother against brother . . . ever since I found a filly's face attached to her hay net in the trailer by the throat snap I have been a "snap facing inward" kind of girl.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Oh, Libby, why "snap facing outward"? That is one of those eternal questions that divides nations and turns brother against brother . . . ever since I found a filly's face attached to her hay net in the trailer by the throat snap I have been a "snap facing inward" kind of girl.
    And ever since a boarder's horse was found with a snap clipped to his lower eye lid I have been a snap out person!

Seriously, horse ended up with mininal injuries all and all, but I am very careful about leaving a halter on with snaps, and I much perfer snaps out!