The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Smartpak 2012 Catalog - Pt. 2 pullquote, p. 106

Maybe this is old news? Anyhow, I'm not so sure that this is the best quote to use, of all the comments to make ... no one at SmarkPak noticed this? We had a united gasp when we read it.

Care to clarify what you are talking about?

Sorry, that was dumb ...

Yes, as 53 said it.

Very strange to use that reference, esp. in the eventing section, since the ENTIRE American public knows of C. Reeve's accident and the 2 women I was with when I was flipping through the catalogue -- neither of them riders, but their kids do -- were astounded that the reference was used. This accident is seared into the minds of everyone, b/c I never NOT hear a reference about it from the non-riding folk.

I do not have the catalog. What is that quote referring to in the catalog?

I can not say I would have made the jump from the superman thing to the CR accident.

This text is placed over a photo of Boyd jumping down a drop... maybe into water... I can't recall.

Well, maybe it's generational, but everyone over the age of 40 who has seen this sort of recoiled when they saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbay View Post
    Well, maybe it's generational, but everyone over the age of 40 who has seen this sort of recoiled when they saw it.
    I would be over 40.

"...I would be over 40." Maybe a very young 40?

Doesn't seem to have attracted that much attn. anyway...

So because someone who played superman has a riding accident we can't reference superman the character while riding?

I don't agree.

I don't agree either.

"Superman" transcends Chris Reeve's terrible accident. He himself was perhaps most identified as Superman, but I would say that the inverse is true -- that Superman is most identified with him. Superman has been a part of American culture since 1932.
    Last edited by AmmyByNature; Apr. 17, 2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: improperly placed apostrophe

Huh? I am in my 60's and remember the CR fall very well (I fell the same way and also broke my neck. Fortunately it did not sever my spinal cord, but because of this, I am especially aware of his horrible fall.)

And I never would have made the connection between a reference to Superman and CR.

Superman is Superman. CR was one of several actors who played the role.

This world has become so PC that just about everything can be taken in the wrong way if you are looking for it.

I think you are being much too sensitive.
    Don't Worry About Hurting My Feelings Because I Guarantee You, Not One Bit Of My Self Esteem Is Tied Up In Your Acceptance.

I'm also over 40 (okay, barely) and I did not connect it all. I agree that "Superman" is a reference much broader and older than the connection to C. Reeves and I don't believe it was inappropriate.

Default Big Five-Oh here

Hi,

At 50, I can speak to how close the connection from the quote to the accident is -- for me, not at all.

CR was so much more than the role he played as Superman, and Superman is so much more than CR, and eventing is so much more -- you get the point.

I didn't see the quote prior to this thread, but I did not get the connection even when the thread suggested there was something TO get.
    http://behindthebitblog.com
    Dressage, riding, sport horse blog

This text is placed over a photo of Boyd jumping down a drop... maybe into water... I can't recall.

No, No they didn't. I am well over 40 and the thought never crossed my mind. No one I know who saw the ad (most of whom are over 40) thought that either.

Ok ok, Call me heartless. But, I saw it, got the reference and LMAO'd. I find that sort of stuff utterly hilarious.

He is jumping UP, out of the water.

I am over 40 (actually over 50).

I was not only "on the grounds", but I was on the organizing committee when Christopher Reeves fell. So VERY close to home.

I did NOT "recoil" at the superman reference.

I thought it was a kind of foolhardy and overly confident statement, but I did not think it referred to Christopher Reeve.
    Last edited by Janet; Apr. 17, 2012 at 02:58 PM.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I didn't make the connection.
    Now, if "Superman" was capitalized, maybe I would have.

When I think of Christopher Reeve, I don't usually think of the Superman movies. I think of the crappy "Somewhere in Time" movie that he was in with Jane Seymour. I saw it many times on HBO when I was a kid.

I watched CR's fall and it spurred a discussion with my father that led to me being banned from riding for the remainder of high school (ie. living at home). I would have made the connection, certainly, between CR and Superman, but I don't see it as offensive at all. As others have stated, Superman is greater than one actor. Which takes nothing away from the tragedy of the situation, but I'm not inclined to be so sensitive.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

For reasons that are obvious to a few of you, I happen to like the ad. . .