The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

What little dolls! Praying & jingling from GA. Keep the pictures coming!
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Ditto Home Again Farm's comments! Jingling and praying for both babies to survive and thrive. Please keep us posted - I know you all are tired!

Diane Halpin & Laurel Leaf Hanoverians: Facebook

Prayers and jingles that they continue to thrive.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

fingers and toes tightly crossed for them both..

Wow, congratulations and best wishes to all.
    I am a bit surprised that the vet did not feel it was worth a visit. Does he see twins on a regular basis that he seems so nonchalant about them? What was the IGG test. Was it even taken?
    Hope everything goes well in the days to come. They are adorable.

I was just wondering about the IgG numbers as well.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

*** Update - Day 4

Filly - looks and acts like a "normal" foal and is up to 78# yesterday (below 50# at birth). She is kicking her heels, bucking & jumping and racing around the paddock. Giving her her penicillin shot was a bit of a rodeo last night and this morning as she has found her legs and is more then willing to try a battle of the wills.

Colt - has continued to improve with every feed. As of today he can FINALLY GET UP on his own power and now bounces around his stall and meets us at the stall door. He is loving his turn-out time and was tagging after hubby at a trot with an attempt at a canter tonight as well!

We are going to be transitioning him from the bottle to the igloo-nurser in the next few days now that he is up and down on his own. Our hope is that we can set that up in his stall and leave the door opened to the paddock and he can come and go as he desires to have the social time with his twin and mama (still hoping that he will transition back to nursing on mama, but not holding our breath or counting on it)

* Caveat for my vet ~ I honestly think he realized that they were either going to make it or not. If they grew worse instead of better then you'd better believe we would have been booking it the 70 minute trip to his clinic. We did not have IgG pulled on them. Both got colostrum from mama and neither were lethargic (other then the colt being weak - but every feeding he was getting stronger)... and honestly the additional vet bill times TWO (on top of what costs we already knew were going to be incurred) for a test that we don't routinely do anyways just couldn't be handled. I love my vet and call him and go to him for anything we need - but some of the extras we have to sometimes make a call on that might not be the calls others would make; and he supports us in that. (He is also the most wonderful in the world about letting me pay on a bill as long as it takes us to pay it off when we need to).
    Crayola Posse~ on the bus in Mahognany

One of the most important things to do is NOT interact with them alot. Let the mare do that. The biggest problem with preemies or compromised foals is that when too much human contact occurs - they don't understand they are horses.
    The igloo cooler feeding method really helps to avoid that.
    The IGG tests are very inexpensive - especially the snap test and well worth the money. You cannot tell if the antibodies have transferred by just looking at the foals.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Quote Originally Posted by ise@ssl View Post
    One of the most important things to do is NOT interact with them alot. Let the mare do that. The biggest problem with preemies or compromised foals is that when too much human contact occurs - they don't understand they are horses.
    The igloo cooler feeding method really helps to avoid that.
    Yes - that is why we are glad he is up on his own now and I'm more comfortable leaving his stall door open during the day for the in/out and he will be with his twin and dam. With the igloo to feed him that will not only make life easier but give him less reliance on people as well. I had him stalled more for the fact he couldn't get himself UP and his dam wasn't real respectful of NOT stepping on him or pawing at him if he didn't get up when she nickered from them both to come with her.
    Right now we are being careful to limit his "people-time" to when we feed him, and to handle the filly at the same time. Last thing I want is a 1000+# "dog" who thinks he is human and in my space....
    Hopefully they will both be strong enough to go out with the normal herd in a few weeks time period. . . then the other horses can help keep both of them in line and reminded they horses.
    Crayola Posse~ on the bus in Mahognany

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

YAYAY - I posted earlier on the foals of 2012 page but this updated page keeping me more current - GO TWINS !!!!
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

Big Congrats!
    so happy they are healthy and happy!

We had full term twins about 20 years ago. They both ended up being over 16H and had no health issues!! They were TB's.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

congrats and good luck, I have been there, looking at twin one going why are you so small - it really is a confusing moment.

Very best wishes please don't be hard on yourself about $$$ and IG tests. Spend the $$$ where they are needed. Honestly I saved money on IG tests and stillllll (not enough lllls) got lumped with other costs. I am in the range who (currently) will never bread again but I do love foals ... again best wishes.

Congrats!! Best wishes for continued success with them!!

No offense but this thread could be stickied as a what NOT to do thread. If money is that tight you really might want to stop breeding. An ultrasound and an IgG is a very minimal, basic cost of doing business. You are lucky all three of them aren't dead. I am glad all is well but hope you learned that depending upon dumb luck isn't a good plan.
    The OP in the other thread is getting blasted for only having two checks and not knowing her mare was open. This is the opposite extreme.

If I had depended on the foal's alert attitude to determine if an IGG was needed, one of my last fillies might not be here today. She was a devil to test, but was <400. The plasma probably saved her life. If I'd waited till she was lethargic it probably would've been too late.
    -Jessica

You absolutely cannot rely on a foal's attitude, especially at this age, to determine the IgG status, you are so correct.

It has nothing to do with, say, being a dummy foal where it's obvious. It has nothing to do with the current health, only everything to do with the ability to fight off whatever he's going to come in contact with in the coming days and weeks.

Joint ill as a result of low IgG can take days and days to show up.

Go with your vet on what is correct I did and while I have had issues it isn't to do with IG test, plasma trans etc. Spend money where it is needed. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    No offense but this thread could be stickied as a what NOT to do thread. If money is that tight you really might want to stop breeding. An ultrasound and an IgG is a very minimal, basic cost of doing business. You are lucky all three of them aren't dead. I am glad all is well but hope you learned that depending upon dumb luck isn't a good plan.
    The OP in the other thread is getting blasted for only having two checks and not knowing her mare was open. This is the opposite extreme.
    I agree. I may get flamed, but I really, really believe that if an IgG is too expensive then one really shouldn't be breeding.
    I do wish the best for these babies and their momma.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com