The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Affordable attire for an up-and-coming pony princess!

First, a picture of said pony princess, my 5 year old sister who's following in my footsteps! Click here. Left is her on my large pony jumper, right is her on my med. pony hunter.
    She's ridden just for fun, here and there in the past, but recently spent her spring break with me at our grandma's (where our farm is) and is now trotting crossrails by herself.
    We've made do with her using my helmet, rain boots, and hand me down jods in the past but now that we've established that this is something she really wants to do, it's time to buy her all the attire she needs for riding (and showing, as she wants to do some walk/trot cavaletti classes this summer).

I'd love to hear some suggestions as to what brands are affordable (because at 5 years old and growing the way she is, she's not going to fit into anything for too long) but still good quality. I'm looking for suggestions for anything: Jods, boots, helmets, show shirts and show jackets mainly.
    Also, does anyone know what brands make gloves little enough to fit teeny-tiny hands?
    Thanks in advance.
    "It's hard to wait for something you know might not happen, but it's even harder to give up when you know it's everything you want."
    Blog | YouTube

Check your local tack shop or online store (even ebay) for consignment/used items. Lots of hand-me-downs available for little girls.

She is precious!!! Check eBay, there are frequently good buys to be had. Also, STA, who posts here, has a riding consignment shop - perhaps she can help outfit the little one.

Ohhh! She's adorable! So are the ponies! There is a group on facebook called:
    Just Ponies - Kids and Pony Equipment and Clothes
    that lists some used clothes. You can also post what you need. For my daughter, we found TuffRider to be a good source for inexpensive jods. They held up great and were comfy too. For schooling, you can get jods a size too big and they work fine, plus you get more use out of them! Many of her schooling shirts come from KMart or Children's Place. They almost always have cute pony shirts for cheap! If it is hot you can find performance type fabric at Target that is pretty nice.

A tack consignment shop can be great, but make sure you know how much the items cost new. I have found some great deals, and some where the used item was only a few dollars less than new.

Have fun! Outfitting a pony princess can be super fun!!

For Schooling

Helmet: Most everything can be bought online (eBay, Dover, etc.), but this is one think that I would suggest you get in-person, as everyone's head is shaped a little different (mine is more oval, for example) and a helmet needs to fit just right in order for it to be the safest it can be.

Shirt: As I wear horse hair said, you can get cute pony shirts from KMart or Children's Place.

Gloves: The SSG Gripper are great, and come in XXSmall, which should fit.

Jodhpurs: I recommend the TuffRider Kids' Schoolers.

Belt: The EQ Pony Ribbon Belts are beyond cute!

Boots: Dublin Paddock Boots are great! They are wide in the toe for growing child shaped feet, have a steel toe for safety and are soft and flexible so the young riders can get their heels down.

For Show
    Helmet: Whatever fits. You can put a velvet cover on a plastic schooling helmet, if need be.

Shirt: Three words: consignment tack shop! If that doesn't work, though just get a TuffRider Starter Show Shirt.

Jacket: Again, check that consignment tack shop! If there's nothing, though, get a TuffRider Starter Show Coat

Jodhpurs: For now, you don't need fancy Tailored Sportsmans or anything. The Devon-Aire Jods are great, but any clean and well fitting pair will do.

Belt: TheEQ Pony Ribbon Belts are beyond cute, but more for schooling. Get a nice, leather belt, like the Tory Fancy Stitched Belt for shows.

Garters: Get the Cameleot Quick 'N EZE Garter Straps. They are so easy to put on - just press the Velcro together!

Boots: You don't need a second pair for showing. Just clean and the schooling ones. Leather CPR Boot Polish is great, by the way!

Thank you ponymom64 for the shout out. I do have a consignment shop in Westchester County, NY. I am sure there will be one located in your area.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

Thanks everyone! There are actually no longer any tack shops near me, but there's one about an hour away that we make the trip up to from time to time that has really good deals on tiny show shirts when they're on clearance, and should have most of the above mentioned things that we can at least try on for size, then look on ebay.
    "It's hard to wait for something you know might not happen, but it's even harder to give up when you know it's everything you want."
    Blog | YouTube

I outfitted my 2yo from ebay and Maryland Saddlery consignment shop. Now that she is doing Devon leadline and needs nicer stuff- I found things at Dover and Maryland Saddlery. Just for Ponies has some great stuff too! If you are doing local level stuff - ebay will suit just fine!

Quote Originally Posted by ponymom64 View Post
    She is precious!!! Check eBay, there are frequently good buys to be had. Also, STA, who posts here, has a riding consignment shop - perhaps she can help outfit the little one.
    I popped in here specifically to give props to STA. I stopped into Second Time Around when visiting my brother over Easter and snapped up a like-new Grand Prix Elite that perfectly fits my weird narrow shoulders and long waist for just $100.

STA's got a razor memory for everything in her shop and can lay her hands on it instantly. It's worth a trip from Buffalo for sure, but you can also shoot her an email to let her know what you're looking for.

Which reminds me, STA, I still need to email you about boots!
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

eBay and consignment will definitely give you the best prices. however, if you want to do a one-stop shopping trip, give a call to Horse Country in VA. I just got their newspaper, which features their products in the middle section. They have a special offer (I want to say under $100) for pull on jodphurs, paddock boots, shirt, gloves & helmet for children. I can't find it on their web site, but if you call (540-347-3141) I'm sure they can help.