The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default this is kind of embarassing... help with Ovation Body form girth

So I got a curved girth (Ovation Body form) I really like it except... *sigh* this really is embarassing, which direction is the curve supposed to go????? There is no indication which side is left or right or how to put it on! I got it because my horse has a foreward girth groove. HELP

The curved parts go forward. They are cutouts for the elbows.

Dont be embarrassed - you aren't the first to ask and most likely you won't be the last!!
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Generally the curve goes forward - but look at your horse's "girth groove" (the place where a girth naturally fits, behind the elbow) - that is where you want the girth to sit. Most horse's girth groove is more forward, so you want the curve facing forward to fit in that natural spot.

I asked this question here a few months ago, and I called the company as there were several answers here.

The company has made the girth so that the hollow, concave side goes toward the front of the horse: horse butt (( horse chest

Not such a funny question, at all.

I taught a clinic in Ontario and a student warmed up her horse in her new shaped girth. She had the girth on backwards and when she came into the indoor for her session, the horse already had galls where the elbow had hit the girth. The middle of the belly will be forward, the elbow area will be curved back to allow free movement of the elbows.

Luckily, when we switched the girth, the galls were not in contact and the horse was willing to work. It could have been an expensive mistake for her.

Quote Originally Posted by mickeydoodle View Post
    I asked this question here a few months ago, and I called the company as there were several answers here.

The company has made the girth so that the hollow, concave side goes toward the front of the horse: horse butt (( horse chest
    This seems backwards- more likely to interfere w/ elbow area. Never heard of one that should go that way...

I think you misinterpreted what they said. The way you describe would cause most horses (and especially the ones that need a contour girth) sore or even rubbed until bleeding. But I'm sure the flat barreled horses with long withers can handle it on backward no problem

If you have a horse that needs the forward groove girths, you will quickly and easily KNOW what the right direction is

Quote Originally Posted by flyracing View Post
    I think you misinterpreted what they said. The way you describe would cause most horses (and especially the ones that need a contour girth) sore or even rubbed until bleeding. But I'm sure the flat barreled horses with long withers can handle it on backward no problem

If you have a horse that needs the forward groove girths, you will quickly and easily KNOW what the right direction is

Actually no, I did not misinterpret, this is not the type of girth that you are thinking of. You are thinking of a girth like the County Logic. This Ovation girth has a totally different contour, and is ment to be used the way I noted. It works very well.

ps- it actually puts the girth further back from the elbows, it sounds odd but it does.

Thanks! Im glad you called the company so we know for sure! They really should have specified on the girth itself. I have only used mine once, do you like yours?

The one the OP is talking about is, and is what I consider a "contoured" girth but I've seen them called anatomic in the tack shops.

http://www.horseloverz.com/Ovation-B...pr-186397.html

This one is (in my mind at least) an "anatomic" girth and what I need to use.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/presti...rth-8616p.aspx

And this one, I've seen called a "shaped", "contoured", or "anatomic" girth.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/passie...p=CS-_-Passier Anatomical Leather Dressage Girth-_-NA&cm_vc=UpSell

No wonder there is some disagreement on what way they go!
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

If the OP has a horse w/ forward girth groove (like mine and some others here) and the Ovation puts the girth farther back, as MickeyD said, then it sounds like it will not work for OP's horse. I have the County Logic, and never really looked at the Ovation, but upon examining the picture, it is quite a bit different in shape.

Quote Originally Posted by CHEvent View Post
    Thanks! Im glad you called the company so we know for sure! They really should have specified on the girth itself. I have only used mine once, do you like yours?
    I love it, it prevents my saddle from slipping forward, which it continued to do despite being custom made for the horse (actually the THIRD custom saddle for this horse) and the saddle having $$$$$$$$$$ of adjustments by multitudinous saddle fitters. For about $35 it solved all my problems.

1 members found this post helpful.

ps- and yes, I wish the company had some instructions on the girth info tag, would have saved me a lot of time and worry

I have the same girth and LOVE it! So does my maresy, whose saddle also slid forward. I first tried the Ovation Anatomical (leather, like the 2nd link posted with the 3 types) and it worked well, until it caused galls, even though everything looked okay. The Ovation gel form is great, although the fabricy cover is starting to wear after a year in spots so I will buy a 2nd as a show girth. But for the price, I won't complain!

ps- and yes, I wish the company had some instructions on the girth info tag, would have saved me a lot of time and worry
    Who'd think that mature, intelligent adults would need girth instructions! (Although I noticed in the thread about offset stirrups that they come marked Right and Left!)

And yes I feel your pain re saddle fitting - been there w/ maresy who has two slightly different shoulders, a LONG wither and a forward girth groove. Combine that w/ being like the princess and the pea...One little thing not right and you'd think she was crippled!