The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Wordplay1832 View Post
    Oh yeah-I'm pretty sure that I could easily train her to piaffe and passage with that prance.

She gets that syndrome too sometimes when we are working. It is not anything really naughty there though-she just gives me a lovely little trot transition when I am not asking for it-she tries too hard! But that is frustrating when we throw away dressage points because she thinks we need to trot!
    She starts anticipating what we might do next so I now have to switch it up on her and make her walk nicely for a while and then go back to doing something else.
    This. Every day I secretly pray that today will be the day Ponykins got brain damaged and isn't smarter than me anymore... or at least doesn't think he is.
    "I am literally a pillar in my community"

I am enjoying this thread. I've had some of these moments too with my TB's, I think they just have a better sense of humor than me;-)

Quote Originally Posted by JFCeventer View Post
    Haha sounds exactly like my guy! He just turned 10 too and he acts more like a baby then the 5 year old Oldenburg at our barn! He's a ton of fun and I think everything just works better if you laugh at them. Otherwise I think all of us who are so "blessed" with the quirky ones would have nervous breakdowns
    Learning to laugh at her was key with my mare. I spent a long time being intimidated by her, thinking about selling her, etc. until I learned to appreciate how completely, totally goofy she can be and not take her too seriously. And the more I laugh at her, the more her personality shines

(How many times have I said, "Please, mare, it's a PUDDLE! And you used to be a brave eventer who would jump right into water; I have video to prove it!!" while spluttering with laughter. And I've had to stop myself from laughing when she did something goofy in a dressage test, like treat a canter depart as an opportunity to LEAP into the air... right in front of the judge. That won us the comment "frisky!" on our scoring sheet... )
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by runNjump86 View Post
    ... Anyone have any luck with toys that keep your horse entertained? He's got 2 jolly balls and a milk jug with rocks in it, but I think he needs a goat or something. Pretty sure he'd try to sacrifice the goat though. They have the lickit things at the hardware store, but I'm 90% certain he'd just rip it down, stand on it, and eat it.
    So one day the barn help brought me to look at the poop in horsie's stall. It was definitely odd, had never seen one like that from him before. Was something terrible wrong? A deadly disease, or something? I found the problem ... he had eaten the Likit apple treat. It was supposed to last a month or more (I think.) He ate it all in a few hours. I don't know how he managed that, it was swinging.

He has also eaten mineral blocks. He does like them and finds them entertaining, until they are consumed.

He massacred the plastic water jug after eating the cap (idiot = me for putting the cap on it, to keep the rocks in.)

He's as bad as a dog - "I found this and I'm gonna eat it." It doesn't matter that he has no idea what the thing is - it's his, and he's gonna eat it. He looks straight at me while he chews fast and hard on whatever he's found.

Nearly lost my hand trying to get some chalky rocks out of his mouth, while he chewed as fast as he could to get them swallowed before I could pry them out.

What he really needs is several hundred unfenced acres, with interesting terrain and trees, and a herd of 6 or 8 horses to hang out with. Fortunately he does get excellent turnout for most of the day.

My TB gelding is one of these. Seven at the end of May and still has the mindset of a towel-snapping, beer-drinking frat boy. Work is a four-letter word. He is a brat and a pest. Even the other TBs at the barn of his age, geldings and mares, roll their eyes at him when they see him coming.

His Peter Pan syndrome also applies to his attempts at a career. Bombed out at racing, polo and eventing, despite all the talent in the world. Was coming along as a dressage horse, but injuries (playing too hard in the pasture) have sidelined him in the last year.

He reminds me of a teenaged boy. Sweet and loving as can be, but just wants to play.

Quote Originally Posted by OverandOnward View Post
    He's as bad as a dog - "I found this and I'm gonna eat it." It doesn't matter that he has no idea what the thing is - it's his, and he's gonna eat it. He looks straight at me while he chews fast and hard on whatever he's found.
    I read a story on another forum once where a horse did the same routine with a dead mouse!

my girl is like a crafty, sulky teenager. last summer, she ripped the hose off of her automatic waterer in her pasture and proceeded to dump it and roll around in the giant puddle. then this past time that the (new) farrier was there, he was taking FOREVER and she decided to crib on a nearby stall, stopping when i said "no ma'am" sternly. she doesn't crib ever (and just had her teeth done) but she was just sort of like "if you're gonna make me stand here like this, i'm gonna latch onto this door."
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

Last fall I was leasing my trainer's 18 (now 19) y/o retired 4* horse. We were doing our first Novice HT together and while walking down to dressage someone turned a truck on and he of course thought it was going to eat him. So he was tense and up and silly through the whole test, at the end the judge commented to my trainer "that's a really nice young horse, he's gonna be great once he has some more experience." She had to reply "That's my old 4* horse...."

This is the same horse who jumped around Rolex, but a cross rail is terrifying and deserves a stop, and then a huge overjump. Same with flowers, slides, blocks, etc. He cracks me up. All you can really do is shake your head and laugh, and of course tell him he should be embarrassed, the 5 y/o just jumped that without a fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    Learning to laugh at her was key with my mare. I spent a long time being intimidated by her, thinking about selling her, etc. until I learned to appreciate how completely, totally goofy she can be and not take her too seriously. And the more I laugh at her, the more her personality shines

(How many times have I said, "Please, mare, it's a PUDDLE! And you used to be a brave eventer who would jump right into water; I have video to prove it!!" while spluttering with laughter. And I've had to stop myself from laughing when she did something goofy in a dressage test, like treat a canter depart as an opportunity to LEAP into the air... right in front of the judge. That won us the comment "frisky!" on our scoring sheet... )
    Yeah, the dressage tests can be interesting. My personal favorite was when we got out test with the comment on the bottom that said "Very explosive today!!!" Had to have a good laugh at that one. At least he can jump!
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.