The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Post best stirrup leathers?

I am in need of new stirrup leathers...I am about 5"-5"1 and kind of on a budget. I want to have the holes as close as possible...1/2 inch or closer if that's possible. WHat kind of leathers do you recommend? What do you have and do you like them?

I have some Gary Mundy leathers that I love! He makes custom leathers with basically anything that you want and his prices are extremely reasonable. (I think mine were around $40 and he stamped my initials onto the end) You can get a variety of lengths so for short people like me, its great! I think I got the 50" ones and they're a nice length. (I'm 5'1 as well) They've held up very well so far and look nice too!

http://www.rtccom.net/~gleather/

I have Gary Mundy leathers. They are very nice.

I'm not sure on a certain brand but I try to look for the ones with the flat buckles. I had a pair before that didn't have flat buckles and they destroyed my saddle.
    Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears George Morris pajamas.
    This pretty much sums up everything!

Default Questions about the Gary Mundy Leathers...

How are they stretch-wise?

I have some Nunn Finer leathers that I have had for about 7 years and they are nearing the end of their lives. I keep having to put them up a hole and I feel like I can never get them even now...

Anyway, I just wanted to know how long the Gary Mundy leathers last and how you contact him. The link that is posted says that he has an Ebay shop, but I can't find it. Should I call him or e-mail him?

Also, how did you match the leathers to the saddle? Did you send him a picture of your saddle?

Thanks in advance for the information?

Quote Originally Posted by LoveJubal View Post

I have some Nunn Finer leathers that I have had for about 7 years and they are nearing the end of their lives. I keep having to put them up a hole and I feel like I can never get them even now...

Anyway, I just wanted to know how long the Gary Mundy leathers last and how you contact him. The link that is posted says that he has an Ebay shop, but I can't find it. Should I call him or e-mail him?

Also, how did you match the leathers to the saddle? Did you send him a picture of your saddle?

I've had mine for about 6 months and they have stretched very little. A bit is unavoidable, but not much. You can email him to order I believe. He sends you pictures of the various colors and you pick one. I'd go slightly lighter than you saddle color if you can't decide because you can always get them darker but not lighter.

If you want leathers that won't stretch at all, then go with CWD. I had mine for 7 years and I loved knowing that every time I got on the horse my irons would be perfectly even. I have never had that experience with any other leathers. They have half holes and small flat buckles, and buttery soft calfskin that makes them super comfortable.

OP you cannot have holes closer than 1/2" - in fact even that is too close. "Half hole" leathers have the holes spaced 3/4" apart, any closer weakens the leathers.

Gary Mundy! He worked with me to try to match my saddle (Obviously he can't guarantee they will be perfect, but mine were pretty spot on) and offers every option known to man for them. Highly recommend!
    Who say's your best friend has to be human?

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    If you want leathers that won't stretch at all, then go with CWD. I had mine for 7 years and I loved knowing that every time I got on the horse my irons would be perfectly even. I have never had that experience with any other leathers. They have half holes and small flat buckles, and buttery soft calfskin that makes them super comfortable.

OP you cannot have holes closer than 1/2" - in fact even that is too close. "Half hole" leathers have the holes spaced 3/4" apart, any closer weakens the leathers.
    I am also looking for new leathers. I am curious if they require bit of a break in? where can I purchase them?
    Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears George Morris pajamas.
    This pretty much sums up everything!

I love my Pro-Trainer leathers. Nicely stitched and nylon lined. I'm only 5' tall and use the 48" (kid size, I guess). I've had these leathers for years and they have held up very nicely. http://www.justforponies.com/pro-tra...8leathers.aspx
    You can find them in longer sizes too. Just have to search around the internet, or even Ebay.

A girl I ride with has these Beval leathers....they are also very nice, but a bit more expensive than the pro-trainer leathers I have.
    http://www.equusnow.com/prodview.asp?idProduct=7036

i have the Beval leathers, they are great. I have had them for, oh, 5 years? I ride in them everyday and while they are worn, they have not stretched a tad and they look great.
    the only thing I dont like about them is that because of the grippy leather they are hard to change or take on and off. not a big deal, but just putting it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by DressageOverFences View Post
    i have the Beval leathers, they are great. I have had them for, oh, 5 years? I ride in them everyday and while they are worn, they have not stretched a tad and they look great.
    the only thing I dont like about them is that because of the grippy leather they are hard to change or take on and off. not a big deal, but just putting it out there.
    Ahh so that's what it is...I put my Bevels on my Antares and noticed they were a PAIN to change the holes, and I oiled them a ton, and then just chalked it up to that perhaps the stirrup bar was tighter than my Beval.

I recently got the lined Stubben leathers with the fancy end. The holes are close together, the leather is soft and with the lining,they're not supposed to stretch. Also, they come in 52" so they are bit shorter than normal. I like them.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveJubal View Post

I also have Gary Mundy leathers and I love, love them! However, last I heard he wasn't working...he was being treated for Lyme's last summer I believe when I asked him to make a martingale for me. He might just be doing basic stuff...his email address should be on his site. He had a form to fill out. He sent me a photo of his leather samples, and I chose what I thought would fit best.

Default Leathers

Thanks everyone! I just emailed Gary and he sent me a order/price list and a ton of pictures. They're super reasonably priced and look great!

Talking Just ordered my leathers!

In case anyone doesn't know how easy Gary Mundy is to work with... I am here to tell you!

I haven't gotten my order yet, but it has been a breeze so far to deal with this man. He is very accommodating and responds to his e-mail very quickly (as in a day or less). He has sent me pictures of anything that I have asked for and he has sent them promptly.
    His turn around time may even be better than what you could get from a slow Internet or Catalog vendor (ahem... Dover ).

I will post pictures when I get my leathers. I will copy the specifics of the order down so that you can see what I ordered v. what I got

I'm 4'11, if this helps! I am on my second pair of Toulouse leathers. The last pair I got were used and still lasted me about 5 years before I wanted to upgrade because they started to stretch a bit.. and I found a nice deal on some shiny new ones on ebay. Holes are easy, they don't seem that far apart. I've had them for two years and they haven't stretched and still look brand new. No stretching, very nice leather, and no rub marks on my saddle since they're buttery soft.