The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PONY size xc boots

An hour of searching old threads and looking at manufacturer web sites has yielded a whopping four options for 'serious' xc boots available in size small:

Ecogold
    NEW lites
    NEW airflows
    Premier Equine Originals

Would much appreciate fitting experiences with these on little guys. I have a 14h Arab doing T3D this year and contemplating prelim. Woof originals fit small in front, medium behind, but a recent bruise has convinced me it's time to get him something that covers fetlocks better.

First, nobody's helping you until you post pictures!

Second, woof has these, have you seen them?

http://www.woofwear.com/for-horses/c...k---large.html

Mine is a 14h Connemara. I bought her the Tri-Zone Allsport boots in extra small from Bit of Britain. I haven't evented her in them, but I'm very happy with the fit and the weight.

With these smaller guys, I found I needed to compromise a bit on what I might consider ideal to get the fit right, in particular, that the boots not be too tall for her to fold at the knee comfortably.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I've found that the Gygax brand size 1 boots fit petite horses quite well. This is one version. I had a pair with velcro that I used on my short-cannon-boned 16hh TB as well as on her 14.2hh TB/Akhal-Teke daughter who has skinny (I believe the AT term is 'dry') legs.

I agree that it's hard to fit the smaller types, especially if they're not stocky ponies.

I have yet to get pics to work on here, but there's plenty at http://www.facebook.com/PinkFlamingoFarm.

Enjoy, I haven't seen that model of Woof boot. Hard to tell from the pictures how much coverage they have on the front of the hind fetlocks, which is my number one concern. Have you seen/used them?

Poltroon, glad to hear the allsports are working for you. Not a fit for my need, as they don't cover any more of the hind fetlock than the Woof traditionals I already have.

JER, I've only ever seen the Gygax in open front models. Cut appears to be very similar to my Woofs, so again not gaining me anything.

I have not used them, I've been happy with the fit and coverage of the Woofs I have for my arabs but I'm not eventing at nearly the level you are.

I bought Premiers for my 14hh Arab, and they fit well. How big is the cannon bone? My guy is 7.5", and the smalls work both width and height wise. I got him smalls for both front and hind.

I've had NEWs in the past for a different 14hh Arab (yup, I have a pattern...). Again, I did smalls for both front and hind.

Congrats on getting to that level!

Thanks GreyDes! My guy's just a speck bigger around, but height has been the real issue in fitting boots. My Nunn Finer American hinds snug up enough to fit around, but they're way too tall.

Question since you've used both Premier & NEW in our size--which hind boot has more substantial coverage on the front of the fetlocks? That's the area I'm fretting over, since he's currently nursing a bruise there.

My 14.1 pony wears Ecogold XC boots in small on the front, but the rears just aren't right.

LOVE LOVE LOVE my Ecogolds! They do take a little getting use to but they wear so well. My cob goes in them for XC and he could kill xc boots easy. They have held up for over a year now and still look new! The hind protection is the best for him I have found. He stricks low on the ankle and the ecogolds covered that the best!

I have ordered the smalls fronts for my filly!

Smile

The Woof Ultras are great! I used the hinds on a very short legged ango-arab. Lots of coverage and felt quite protective! Would still be using them but my tb is to tall...
    To ride or not to ride-what a stupid question!
    -Unknown

Use the NEWs on my 13.2 CDE pony and like them very much. The pair I have used to belong to Theodore al Coda, so they saw "over fence" experience as well.

Could you use porters/ saratoga wraps instead of boots?

Also, I am a long-time Stat/ FR fan and very excited to hear you're planning a T3D.

Thanks all. Wish I could go to Rolex, as they're all likely to be on display there. Sigh.

Hi Baxtersmom! I have front porters, and have considered cutting them down to fit. Hesitant only because I'd have to cut so much, with no way to be sure they'll fit right when I'm done. And it still doesn't solve the hind problem, unless somebody has a pair they'd come off of?. After handling the Richland boots at the Ocala event, I'm disappointed to say they're a pale poor imitation of porters and no way worth the money.

Decisions, decisions, decisions....

Flamingo - I think the Premiers have a bit more coverage where you're looking for it.

I could take photos of both this weekend if it will help you.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyDes View Post
    Flamingo - I think the Premiers have a bit more coverage where you're looking for it.

I could take photos of both this weekend if it will help you.
    That would be awesome! Thanks!!

Silly other question since I've not had "vented" boots--what happens when you duct tape them?

I just got some really really cute open front jumping boots for my Tiny Pony. They say "JSB" on them and they are Lilac !!!

Any comments on the Dalmar eventers in small for a 14.1 hand pony?

http://www.doversaddlery.com/dalmar-...ts/p/X1-04201/

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow36 View Post
    Any comments on the Dalmar eventers in small for a 14.1 hand pony?

http://www.doversaddlery.com/dalmar-...ts/p/X1-04201/
    A couple people who've tried them told me the Dalmar s/m fits more like a medium than a small. I have a hard enough time finding "smalls" that fit right, that I just crossed these off the list of options.

FR, did I just spot you and Stat in Practical Horseman??