The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My dog has horrible gas!

So for the past week my dog has been so gassy it's ridiculous.

He's been eating Wellness Super 5 for about 3 months now after switching from grain free. The vet is pretty sure he has ulcers so his recommended treatment for now was to just switch him to a higher fiber food and supplement him with pumpkin or rice once a day. I was also told to do Prevacid treatments when he shows signs of needing it.

Gas was never an issue before. He just puked alot and drank excessive amounts of water. All of that is gone but this past week he's had the worst gas I have ever seen! He could clear a room with the smell and it's quite loud! It's so loud that he will occasionally turn around and look at his butt when he lets a big one rip.

Anyone have any ideas as to why he would suddenly have bad gas? His energy level is fine and he's eating his food. I need to get this sorted out. He spent last night snoring and farting in my face!

Something he's eating just doesn't agree with him. With Wellness, it could be anything--it has so many ingredients. What was he eating before? Is he eating anything he's not supposed to outside, now that spring has sprung?

I'd probably try either putting him back on the grain free and supplementing with pumpkin or green beans for fiber, or doing trials of limited ingredient kibbles until you find one that doesn't make him stink.

While you are researching the food... offer him a small amount of buttermilk. A bowlful or poured over his food. It changes the environment in the gut and helps restore normal function.

I didn't think of green beans for fiber. Thanks!

And he will be getting some buttermilk tonight. I can't take another night of him farting in my bed! It's got to be the Wellness causing this. I keep him pretty close to me because I worry about him eating something he shouldn't since he's legendary for that. I guess his stomach decided suddenly that it didn't like Wellness. We've had the most luck with Nature's Variety so I guess I will go back to it and see if his stomach still agrees.

I thought Labs were supposed to have stomachs of steel?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by WarDance View Post

He spent last night snoring and farting in my face!

Just like a lab!!! Did he also kiss you also?

Mine has gas but it's his meds.

He could clear a room with the smell and it's quite loud! It's so loud that he will occasionally turn around and look at his butt when he lets a big one rip.
    Reminded me of my dearly departed lab. He would rip one and people would run!

Have you tried a probiotic? Should help with the gas and the stomach issues.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Red face I had one of those

a room clearer to be sure. BUT when I changed her food to Food 4 health, she quit farting. [Well there is still SOME gas, but not the room clearing variety.]
    They might be involved in a recall, but I have had good results from the salmon stuff.
    Another killer of threads

I can't get 4health in this area so that wouldn't be an option. I've also gotten a bad bag of Diamond Naturals before so I wouldn't feed it again.

I tried yogurt with no results. Do they make an actual probiotic supplement?

How can something this cute make smells so bad?
    http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...14630695_n.jpg

We THINK that daily yogurt has helped the boxer...when we had our quality ottoman time she used to clear the room, now it seems not so much!
    She is on Costco grain free food.

I can't get 4health in this area so that wouldn't be an option. I've also gotten a bad bag of Diamond Naturals before so I wouldn't feed it again.

I tried yogurt with no results. Do they make an actual probiotic supplement?

How can something this cute make smells so bad?
    http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...14630695_n.jpg
    Aww...really cute when you can't smell the farts through the computer screen

I've used this one before, and it did seem to help some http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=18828
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Wait.... can we go back to the vomiting issue for a second? Can you be more specific? And how did your vet say you would know whne he needed treatment? I'm not trying to sound snarky, but I've honestly never heard this theory of treating ulcers before.
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Horsegal984 View Post
    Wait.... can we go back to the vomiting issue for a second? Can you be more specific? And how did your vet say you would know whne he needed treatment? I'm not trying to sound snarky, but I've honestly never heard this theory of treating ulcers before.
    He's an older vet and has recommended some pretty cheap and effective treatments for my dog in the past. The symptoms the dog usually shows are vomiting, lethargy, drinking excessive amounts of water, and lack of appetite. The vomiting is really the best cue. He says keeping the dog on a high fiber diet is really the best thing I can do for him .

This dog is in great physical condition. He's a search and rescue dog so I keep him very fit. The dog is very high strung and was abandoned in the desert at about 6 months. The poor guy spent another 3 months in a kill shelter until I took him home and started training him. It doesn't really surprise me that he has GI issues since he's also allergic to wheat. He's a great dog despite his issues and I'm glad that the people over at the shelter managed to keep him from being put down until I found him!

Oh I tried buttermilk tonight. He's still farting but not as often.

If you know he has issues with wheat I would avoid the super 5 mix, although the wellness core or simple solutions may work. Much more limited ingredients and no grains. I'm not sure the gas is necessarily from the food itself or just the increase in fiber. Generally speaking changes in fiber content in he diet will change the digestive process, and affect the type/amount of bacteria in the gut.

Have you tried giving Pepcid? It's cheap and can make a big difference for sensitive GI dogs.
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

I have one of those...gas that would clear a room and farts so loud he actually scared himself! For him, switching to a grain free food solved about 98% of the problem-we still get a room clearer every now and then

Mine are silent farters and save it for car rides! We recently got a new to us
    Expedition with a Sun Roof and the back side windows vent out with the flick of a switch. We call them the fart relief valves. Sometimes, we still have to resort to rolling down all the windows.