The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rule of thumb to replace x/c vest?

Just as the title reads. Wondering how often one should replace a cross country vest?

I replace mine the same as my hat- after a hard fall or every five years. I'm pretty cautious though.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I bought my vest second-hand and I'm sure it's at least 10 years old. I've wondered about replacing it, but it doesn't seem like the same rules should apply to a vest as a helmet. I'll be interested to see what others think.

I had a very nasty fall where I truly believe my BP saved my life. I'd rather pay to replace it than worry the protection has been compromised.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I don't think the foam in a vest works the same way as the foam in a helmet so I've had my vest much longer then my helmet and I bought my vest used.

I'm guessing by the lack of responses, there really isn't a general rule like helmets.

I have a Tipperary, and it's coming up on 10 years. I plan to try on the CO's at Rolex.

Fortunately, I've not had any nasty falls...so maybe I was looking for a valid excuse to spend money at Rolex:-)

Whenever one of your young horses eats it. Tends to happen every 10 years or so. Also a good time to replace helmets.
    Sir Chancelot- 8 yr TB/ App

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

I think I had mine about 12 years when I replace it (technically closer to 15 but I wasn't using it for the last 3).

I about came unglued this weekend at Equine Affaire when I saw a booth with some vests for sale. Looked at the price tage and it was a VERY reasonable price... $139 I think. Then I looked at the ACTUAL tag... right there in black and white was the fact that that vest, which had the styling of a Tipperary, was NOT approved by any safety organization. Grrr. I wonder how many unknowing folks were sold a so-called safety vest.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

The Tipps aren't approved either.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn trails View Post
    The Tipps aren't approved either.
    Well, they make SOME that are approved. But the one most people use isn't.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).