The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

And then laugh.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Suzy, that is my FAVORITE! I come from a southern family and am well versed and trained in the way of our people [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] MY problem is after being born in Little Rock, Arkansas we moved to Madison Wisconisin. Hence the constant internal struggle between http://lisamarie8.homestead.com/blessyourheart.html reply and http://chronofhorse.infopop.net/2/Op...826#4323092826 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Being born and raised a Yankee, I don't have any such internal struggle, so I have no problem with the very direct response instead of the PC "Bless Your Heart." But I did want to offer COTHBB readers an option. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Um, and to avoid getting thrown off the board.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

ROFLOL!!!!! She was a pretty nice rider on her well-trained, sensitive, hot TB mare.

Then she got on my 16 year old, 15.3+, 1,300 lb. Intermediate level eventer who thought "dressage" was just something one's rider FORCED one to do before you got to do the fun stuff and haul A$$ cross-country.

Within 15 mins of struggling and trying to (a) get him on the bit (which I could do); (b) sit his trot (not easy if you couldnt' get him on the bit); and (c) dealing with his passive resistance, she begged to get off and apologized to me, saying "He's a lot more difficult to ride than he looks." (So at least I made him look good - but she THOUGHT she could make him look better. Nyaah-nyaa-nyaa-NYAAAAAA-Nyah!) (Did I mention he was an App? Snicker, snicker)

My horse was broke to death and I knew she COULDN'T screw him up and might get a dose of humble pie. Wouldn't work in every case, but it was very gratifying in this one.

(and maybe it's because I've met joliemom), at joliemom's suggestion. I can arrange to be there to video tape and capture it when you do it.

Robby, still laughing

You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

With my horse, if you could get on him, you could ride him. It's the getting on that's the difficult part.It is tempting to allow nosy CBJs to attempt it, but I have my fears of lawsuits from CBJs parents. Oh well.

I think truly though, the worst thing to do is to hear them out, and then just laugh. Laughing in their face really does hurt. Eventually she should get the point.

*Sometimes I think the so-called expets actually ARE experts.*
    "One thing vampire children have to be taught early is, don't run with a wooden stake."

How about something along the lines of "Aren't you lucky that YOU have such a good opinion of your riding (said in a dead-pan tone of voice with the "over the top of the glasses (even if not wearing them), down the nose, mother-in-law look". Although I must admit that my instinctive (and much more likely) reaction would be a swift smack upside the ear!!
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

... I'd have to something like "You know, where I come from, Children should be Seen and Not Heard."

"You know, when I was a kid, I was taught to respect Adults"

"You know, when I was a kid, if I ever made a comment like that to an Adult I would get a hand across the face"

I would also mention something to the kid's mom, too - that you find this kid pretty annoying and would prefer that she left you alone.

I do, however, like the idea of screaming "wrong lead" at every opportunity ....

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

** Get Spotted on an Appaloosa **

I think busting out in a hearty bout of laughter can be very effective.....or you can say in an Australian accent:

A dingo ate your baybeee!

.....I would go out tonight, but I haven't got a stitch to wear.....
    The truth is rarely pure, and never simple. Oscar Wilde

You should hear how it talks to its mother! But then again, the mother is a complete doormat so no wonder!

I am looking forward to trying out some of these responses this weekend - particularly "Shut up, fool." whap with my big white vinyl Queen Mum purse.

If anyone is at a certain small A show south of the Mason Dixon line on Saturday be sure to stop by for the festivities.

I think you should just hit the PRINT button on this thread and put it on the barn bulletin board. Problem solved.

Joliemom--I want to meet you someday!

The Mason Dixon line is not so VERY far north of here, eh? It could be worth a tank of gas to see that purse swinging.

Maybe Joliemom and I could road trip???

Gracious, I'm guessing this kid is slow enough that you get to a chance to try several of these responses, over a period of weeks.

Or maybe the "thwack" will larn her...

Moesha, I love that song! You just made my day! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

**Mary**
    Don't hate me cause you ain't me!
    **Mary**

All wot you haff to do is giff der finger.

PS: I be a German horse und this it be straight from mein mouth.
    ------------------------
    I haff sayed this be fore, I be ein German horse und this it be straight from mein mouth.

Poor Hot Fire Queen, what a PITA. What would happen if you didlet the CBJ ride your horse? She sounds like the type that certainly won't listen to a horse, so it would probably not be pretty. If you're pretty sure it wouldn't hurt your horse that's what I'd do.

I had one guy, not even a junior, always bugging me to ride one of my horses. This was a particularly big snarky run-away of a Dutch horse who was 14 and not about to change. He was lovely to walk and trot, but if you wanted to canter or jump, forget it, you'd better be able to hang on a little. So he got on and toodled around. And then he cantered, which quickly became a gallop. I'd say a good dozen times around the ring before executing a decent emergency dismount. Hobbes of course stopped and looked very pleased with himself. End of guy bugging me to ride that horse.

I also had a girl nag me constantly to ride my wonder-horse, because I "didn't MAKE him work". I must have said no about 300 times. I finally gave in. She lasted about 45 seconds. He bucked her off so hard she landed on the opposite side of the ring. And she wanted to get back on! Off she flew again, even further this time. Then she demanded that I get on because obviously there was something wrong with the saddle fit. So up I get and we canter around here there and everywhere. Drop the reins and do figure eights without them. Jump a few little jumps. Hehehe, the girl started to cry at that point. I swear that horse can read my mind. I've had novice riders on him that I like and he's wonderful. Some good riders have ridden him that I don't like personally and he's a prick. The girl left the barn shortly after, not a big loss.
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

Virginia and North Carolina, Parrothead Clique!

The horse show is below the Mason-Dixon; therefore the bless your heart response wins this time. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] If it fails to shut her the he!! up, resort to the many hilarious Yankee answers. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Between Joliemom and Moesha I have officially "split a gut."

Founder of the mighty Thoroughbred Clique!

Resident racing historian
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

HotFireQueen is a dingbat. Everyone knows Maryland is NORTH of the Mason Dixon line.

Hmpf - New Yorkers!

"For the dead and the living we must bear witness."

What are they teaching in the MD schools these days? The Mason-Dixon Line is the geographic boundary between MD and PA.
    'Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.'
    - Pablo Picasso

Sleepy is right. BUT, Maryland was nuetral in the Civil War, and has an equal number of 'Norther' and 'Southern' native ways.

So, HFP, your plan to drown her in toxic southern syrup with 'Bless your heart', and then sting her with the forked tongue of the North, is a great plan in my book! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Oh. Duh, well I am not very good with directions and geography and such!

"For the dead and the living we must bear witness."